It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

joyce123 HB User
disability and working

Hi,
Hope you all can help me. I applied for disability 2 months ago, I had a phone interview and tons of paperwork to fill out. I called yesterday to ss and they said a decsion has been made on my claim, but they cant tell me anything, I have to wait for letter. I have mild compression deformity(fracture) of L1 that is chronic, mild to moderate bilateral facet disease and mild focal kyphosis with anterior spondylosis at T-12-L1. I am in alot of pain with my back, its hard for me to do anything. But I am currently working partime as a cashier, I have to, I am a single mom of 2 with no child support and no help from the goverment.
With me working, what are my chance of getting disabilty? Someone told me that as long as you not making alot of money, you can get it. Does anyone know this?
Are the descion letters they send always bad news, it seems like alot of these forums, people had to try a couple of times for disabilty.
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks
Joyce123

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: disability and working

I actually went in the the social security office last year and spoke to someone. She told me off the record that if I was working not to even think of applying. It's hard. You need to support your family. I don't know what they expect people to do. Did you ever apply for public assistance? Stop working and get that. Then re-apply for disability. I know you are suppose to be out of work 6 months. Welfare is there to help people who need it. They will at least provide you with food stamps, rental assistance, medical. The only problem is if you receive child support they become the beneficiary. You have to decide which is better. If you are not getting child support if may be an option. They will then go after him. Just a suggestion. Until my surgery I've been working in that field for years. There is no stigma. These days no one even knows. Depending where you live, some states give you a debit card to use. I know my mother was on it when I was little for about a year. We use to have to go to the store with food stamps. Things have changed alot. It is there for you to use and help you get back on your feet. Please don't be insulted at my suggestion. Just thought it might help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

It's my understanding you can apply for SSD the very next day after being unemployed. However if approved for SSD, SS will not send you a check until 6 months have passed.
You are progressing faster than me. I gave my local office my Disability report, work history report, and function test at the time of my interview, along with all x-ray /mri reports and all doctor reports. Then a month later I was sent another function test to fill out. Now two weeks later my husband has been sent a daily living form to fill out on me. I am in Nebraska but all my stuff gets mailed to Illinois. There it is scanned into "the paperless system" and goes back to Lincoln Ne. I am told this was suppose to speed things up but in reality has caused a major backlogg.
Good luck to you. Hopefully you will be approved on the first try. I would check with SSI if you are not approved.
Newfie11

Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

joyce123 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your input. I do get food stamps now. If I were to get welfare assistance, it would only be 280.00 a month! We both know that is not enough to live on a month for 2 children and myself, so I have to work. It is hard everyday for me to work, but I do. I dont know what the ssi people expect from us!! I also have heart disease. I am 43 years old and feel like I am falling apart! I hope I hear something soon from them. anyway thanks for your input.
Joyce

Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

Samee HB User

If your earning under $900.00 a month you should be okay...SSA will consider this under the substanial earning level...

You can work while on disability, earn under 900.00 a month and be okay...

Log on to the social security website and check into what they have to say..

Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

joyce123 HB User
Re: disability and working (update)

hi everyone,
well i got my letter today in the mail, and they denied me. Of course, cause I am working. They said I am still able to function and move about I am not disable. My medical condition is not severe enough.(maybe to them), but to me it is. Now I have to appeal, reconsideration mode. can anyone tell me about this? thanks
Joyce
Ps. I also got a bill in the mail for medical records submitted by my doctor to the social security office...I thought we didnt have to pay for medical records, considering all the medical release forms I sign for.....
again if anyone has info on reconsideration process please let me know.......

Old 03-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Joyce, is bill from Social Security, or your doctor? If it's from your doctor don't be alarmed because these doctor charge for everything they do for you. It costed me just for my doctor to fill out a simple form for Social Services stating I was unable to work. Which to me was a joke in the first place because my left arm is frozen to the point my left hand touches my left shoulder and under no circumstances can I stretch it out (unles to put my shirt on). The social worker asked me did all my previous jobs require two hands in order to work, my husband said "I can't believe this you need two hands just to sweep the floor." This is what really kills us people who really need help and can't get it but some people that I know they can work waltz right in and get it just like that. My father even said that I needed to talk to one off these people and find out what their secrect was

Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

klondyke26 HB User

I received a bill for records from my doctor as well. Socal Security covered the expense as they requested them for my case. I would refer that bill to your case worker.

I thnk your best bet is an appeal attorney. They will charge a percentage of any back pay you may receive but they can save you alot of headache dealing with the SSA. Research some lawyers n your area and some even provide free consultation/ no fee unless win type of pymt arrangements. I even found some that do pro-bono SSA work for families

I was single with no income and cannot imagine how you are making ends meet. But I cant help but think the fact that you are working is hurting your claim. You may want to see if the lawyer has some financial resources for you and your children to help you get thru.

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I just got my disability a few months ago and I am working part time like 20 hours a week. I was doing this to make my condo payments so I would no lose my home.
I was told by an attorney if I was working I would never get it, and I was told ny SS that I could work that job and be ok.

So that doesn't help much but you just don't know and I suppose it depends on your disability also. Good Luck

Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
(female)

joyce123 HB User

hi,
what kind of work do you do. I only work 20 hours a week, but they think I am capable of moving arms and legs around, so I can work. I am a cashier. What kind of disability do you have, if you dont mind me asking. Any info would be helpful to me
Thanks
Joyce123

Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce123 View Post
hi,
what kind of work do you do. I only work 20 hours a week, but they think I am capable of moving arms and legs around, so I can work. I am a cashier. What kind of disability do you have, if you dont mind me asking. Any info would be helpful to me
Thanks
Joyce123
I work at the court house doing pretty much filing all the citations and pleas that come in for the courts. So I don't have to leave my desk or bend down which I can't anyway. It's the getting there that is hard. But I also have that tunnle carpnal and a pinched nerve that makes my hands go numb after a bit. So I wing it on and off for the 4 hours. It is getting tougher to do this but I really can't afford to quit.I have ssd and they gave me ssi for 6 months back pay. I make a min wage, actually less so that is why they allow it I guess. At least I can still do that much and it helps. Good luck to you.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
(female)

kiko45 HB User

Hi all, I have been through this several times over the past 30 years.
Yes you can work while on Disability up to 9 months and not earn over a certain amount without losing benefits. However, if you are working when you apply for Disability benefits, you will most likely be denied. They will probably say something like, if you can use your hands you can work or the fact you have been working. Even though you are making less than you are accustomed when you were well, they figure you just have to change your way of living. Sad, but this is the most popular response from SS when you are working when you apply.
Before you apply you should have a financial backup plan. It's a long wait. Most are at least one year. In this situation where you are working, even an attorney will tell you they will probably deny you while you are working. But given the situation, you should contact an attorney. The attorney may have a brighter diagnoses with whatever medical evidence you can supply. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
(male)

Fishtail HB User

i would like to go back to work but I have to have the Medicare insurance. There would be no way I would be insured with my history and age.

Does anyone have personal experience with returning to work from SSDI? I am not very trusting of the SS system.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #14
(female)

joyce123 HB User
Smile Re: disability and working

hi everyone,
well I havent been on in a while. just to let you all know, that i did go to a lawyer and he said he couldnt help me, cause my medical history wasnt severe enough. I dont even think he looked at the mri report. I think its severe, I am the one in pain. He also said that I was working and that would not help my case. I only work partime and dont make alot of money. Anyway, I send back my reconsideration papers, and just waiting to see what they say. If I cant do this with a lawyer, I will not give up and do it by myself! I will let you all know what happens. take care
joyce123

Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Good morning all.........I have a question.

Scenerio: A person is injured at work/auto accident and cannot work. They receive a settlement from WC/auto inusrance. They are then approved for SSD, receive their backpay, monthly checks, medicare. Now they have a little money to invest. If they bought a HUD house/foreclosure/etc. and paid contractors to fix it up and then sold it for profit would this be a probelm on SSD? If the person is not doing any of the work and is only signing papers at settlement I feel they are not working and yet have income. In actuality the income would be from investments and not work???????? Opinions please.

ICC

Closed Thread