It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

erin1715 HB User
How can a person live off SSD??

It is my understanding that disability payments are only about 40% of your income based on your past employment? does anyone know if that's correct? If that's right, how can anyone possibly live off of that amount? Maybe I'm just missing something....

Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: How can a person live off SSD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
It is my understanding that disability payments are only about 40% of your income based on your past employment? does anyone know if that's correct? If that's right, how can anyone possibly live off of that amount? Maybe I'm just missing something....
No frills that is what I am finding out with no insurance so to speak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

klondyke26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
Benefits are actually based on how much you have paid into SSA.
Example being that I make approx 70% of my past income which is a fairly high amount from what I am hearing. But my roomate who has a short work history only gets about $650/mo. Then of course those who havent worked or paid in much get SSI, which pays next to nothing.

It's not easy to make ends meet and has been a HUGE reality check for me personally. "Existing" consists of finding roomates to split costs and sacrificing any chance of ever being financally self sufficent.

Our big thing is once a month we pool our money for pizza. Yay us. LOL!!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

As it's been pointed out, it's based on your work history and wages you made. It usually is close to what you would get when you retire, with full benefits. Mine figured out to be a little more than my retirement benefits. My monthly check is just under $1,700 per month.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

erin1715 HB User

Thank you for all of your help...I really appreciate the quick responses! My husband and I are only 26, so he hasn't been in the work force that long and I'm assuming he wouldn't be getting too much if he were approved for disability. His Pdoc is the one who suggested it only temporarily so we can try to get him living a "stable" life and then he'll go back into the workforce...but I'm not so sure we could live off of my income and a small disability check. I guess you do what you have to do in the end....which might mean selling our house. Thanks again for all the support.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Erin...You might want to check with Social Security to see what your husband's disability income would be, if approved. I'm not sure what age you start getting yearly statements with all the information on retirement at 62, 65, and disability, but I think it is 50. If you have a local SS office you could call them to get some info, if you don't, call the 800 number. Also, you could log onto ssa.gov and see what you could find out by using his social security number.

When I first began to receive SSD benefits, the last statement I had received from SS actually listed my full retirement amount as a little less than my monthly disability amount. I don't receive them anymore because I'm getting benefits, but if I were you, I would spend a little time online seeing what you can find out on the SS site. Or like I said you could also call. That way you would know where you stand and how much your monthly income would be if he were to go on SSD. Good luck to the two of you.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

You can go to the website and request the statement. It tells you what you would get if disabled now. What you would get at age 65. I get one every year without requesting.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

erin1715 HB User

Thank you all very much for the great information. Now that you mention it, I do recall getting statements in the mail from Social Security but I don't think I ever paid attention to them because I didn't need to. I know that I definitely have them filed away and I am great at researching everythign on the internet, so I'm going to do that too! I'm currently looking into short term disability from my husband's place of employment, but I'm going to research all of my options. Thanks again, this board is full of great info and great helpers!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck with everything. It is a good idea to check everything out. I should have done quicker. I never used temp disability longer then 3 months so I didn't realize it ended at 26 weeks. So now I wait for approval. Wish I started the process earlier. Then again I had expected to be healed and back to work.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #10
(female)

erin1715 HB User

I have looked into what my husband would get per month if he were approved for social security disability and it's more than I thought. From my understanding, the process is an extremely long one and you can be rejected many times. Does anyone know if homeowners insurance covers mortgage payments during the period that we would be waiting to hear about his disability approval/disapproval? My mother-in-law seems to also think that homeowners insurance would cover the mortgage payments if Dave were on any type of disability. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I want to use the application online for SSD but it says that the person who is receiving SSD needs to be the one to electronically sign the application...well my husband is currently in the hospital and might not be out until next week, but I want to get this process moving as soon as I can...any suggestions?

Last edited by erin1715; 04-13-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: One more thing I forgot...

Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is interesting about the homeowners insurance. You probably would have needed an extra rider or something I think. I have it on my car loan. It cost extra and my loan is getting paid off while out on disability. Now that it is permanent disability I'm not sure if they will continue paying or not. Let me know how it goes.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
(female)

erin1715 HB User

Well I checked into it and my insurance agent says that they used to offer something like that but there are no companies that offer it anymore...oh well, it was worth a shot...

Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Erin...I bought my first home in 1970 and at that time, you could buy Homeowner's Insurance, which had a clause of disability and/or death benefits in it. If you were unable to work (after a waiting period) or died, your payments were made for you. In death, the house was paid off entirely. Like you stated, Insurance Companies don't offer that type of insurance any longer, as far as I know.

Concerning filing for SSD, is there a local office of Social Security where you live? If so, you might want to consider getting an appointment for your husband to be interviewed and apply for disability as soon as he is able after being released from the hospital. Call either the local office or the 800 number for an interview appointment.

You mentioned it was a lengthy process. This is true in some cases. Many times it is the reason you are filing in the first place, how you and/or your doctor filled out the SS forms and some other factors. My two beliefs since I have been on SSD is your doctor's report to them that your husband is disabled and unable to work and also the older you are, the better. I was 57 when I received word that I had been approved for disability and would possibly be reviewed in five to seven years. Next February I will start my fifth year on SSD, but I will also be 62, so I will be eligible for regular Social Security, but at a reduced amount. I am hopeful, because of these factors, I won't have to face a review.

As far as the waiting period and length of time for acceptance, I had my initial interview on August 25, 2003. I received word in February of 2004 I had been approved and would be recieving a check for my benefits. The waiting period was five months and I received my first check in the sixth month. So, it isn't too bad of a wait if you are approved on the first try. If you have to appeal, I have heard of people taking three to four years on appeals. I wouldn't reccomend an attorney on the initial application, but if you receive a denial, then I would find one that has experience in handling Workman's Comp and SSD type cases. That's what I was told by a firm here when I called right after I first applied.

I'm sorry this got so long, but I did want to give you some backround on what can be expected and how long these things take. I wish you guys the best and if I can answer anything else, please post a note and I'll try my best.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
(female)

rhales199 HB User

I'm really, really not sure on this one, but SS may be able to do at least part of the application over the phone, or maybe able to come to the hospital and do it (but i doubt that) if you explain your situation.

As for me and my hubby (who has Cerebral Palsy), he gets 613 a month. Right now, because I can't deal with work AND taking care of him and driving him to dr's and everything, we live on that, 52$ in cash benefits from our state, 162$ in Food Stamps, and 50- 100$ a month from me working odd jobs for friends. For us to qualify for Food Stamps, I had to get a note from his Dr. saying that I couldn't work because I needed to be home to help him (otherwise, I would have had to been looking for a job). We are also on sec. 8 housing assistance.
Yes, it makes things really tight, but all those assistance programs we're on really help.
My hubby just started a new job today-- here's hoping it works out, as it will be a great help!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Closed Thread