It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

lalc51 HB User
Depression & Mild Arthritis

Hi, here's my story: My husband, Kenneth, was killed in a motorcycle accident on October 28, 2000 in Tupelo, Mississippi. We were on vacation riding our motorcycles & Kenny was riding in front of me. We came up to this curb, in the road, Kenny did not make the turn in the road. He rode into oncoming traffic. A car hit Kenny & his motorcycle, I saw Kenny get hit by the car & I saw him fly into the air, his motorcycle went one way & he went another. I pulled my motorcycle to the ground. I ran over to Kenny & his leg was sticking straight up, it was broken in half. Kenny was in shock. Someone stopped on the highway & called for an ambulance. The ambulance got there & said that Kenny was in critical condition & they had to call for a helicopter. Kenny was then transported, by helicopter, to a Tupelo Hospital which was a couple of hours away from where we were. Some people that were at the scene were kind enough to tow our motorcycles to their house & then lent me a car to drive to Tupelo to check up on Kenny. I got to the hospital & the doctor came in & told me “Kenny is in critical condition, but that he had no internal injuries or head injuries but that he would be staying there because of his broken leg, he was to be put into traction”. I asked, “Can I see my husband?” The doctor said that they had one more test to do & that I could see Kenny after that test was done. About 10 minutes later, the doctor came back & said, “I am sorry, Kenny didn’t make it.”. I said, how can that be, you just told me that he was doing fine & had to be put into traction. The doctor said that when he got back to Kenny’s room that Kenny said “I can’t breathe”, the staff then proceeded to try & make Kenny able to breathe & then all of a sudden, Kenny stopped breathing & died. The doctor said that an embellism formed from his leg & traveled to his lung, preventing him to breathe & then traveled to his heart & killed him. The doctor also said, “if Kenny had lived, we would have had to cut off his leg because half of his foot was cut off.”

There's is not a day that goes by without reliving this accident all over again. I miss Kenny so much!

I had applied for Widow's Disability and was turned down twice and I am now waiting on my Disability Lawyer to get a date to see the Judge. I have been seeing a phychiatrist since, 2005, after Hurrican Katrina. I have been very depressed since Kenny died. The phychiatrist reported to my lawyer that I do have PTSD but that he feels that I can work and that my ability not to work is because of my medical problems.

I have had a "frozen shoulder" for about a year now, can't lift up my left shoulder. MRI results: Degenerative changes fo the AC joint with inferior spurring of the distal clavical which produces a mild impression on the supraspinatus muscle at this level. The remainder of this exam is within normal limits. (Mild Arthritis)

I have severe back pain, MRI results: Posterior disc bulges at the levels of L2-3 & L4-5. At the level of L2-3 there is no significant spinalfor foraminal stenosis. At the level of L4-5, dorsal disc bulge is mildly larger & in combination of left ligamentum flavum hypertrophy produces narrowing of the lateral recess on the left. Mild narrowing of the left neural foramen without nerve root compression. Degenerative disc desiccation is present in the levels of T11-T12, L2-3, L3-4 & L4-5. Degenerative changes of the lumbar spine. (Mild Arthritis)

I have pain in my left hip. (X-ray Results): No fracture of subluxation. Mild degenerate changes of the left hip. (Mild Arthritis)

I also have a right knee that gives out on me when I go to sit or to stand.
I went to my lawyer yesterday and asked him if we had a shot of getting the disability. He said that the chances were 30% to 70%. He said that all I am showing is that I have arthritis and that I could probably do light duty work.

I have a hard time showing my pain and expressing the severity of the pain. He says that we will go to court, maybe, in June or July.
I am truly depressed and in pain all the time, does anyone think I may have a chance? or what other things can I have done to make this happen?
I do plan on trying to get an MRI on my knee or knees.

Thanks in advance
L.A. Clayton

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread