It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Bummed out

I'm so bummed out. Got my denial letter for Social Security today. They say I can work. I had two doctors sign paperwork that I was totally disabled for my medical retirement. That went through no problem. Just needed SS to live. Funny it was today. I woke up today in so much pain I could hardly get out of bed. My back and elbow throbbed all night. It kept waking me up. I can't keep my eyes open. That is after taking my daily amphetamines to stay awake due to Narcolepsy. What a crappy, crappy day. I'm so disgusted.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Bummed out

Hessie, sorry i am not familiar with your case...
Did you have a surgery? Were you on disability during that time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

scsheltie55 HB User

Get a lawyer and appeal the decision. If this was an appeal decision get a lawyer and re-apply. Don't get discouraged. It will happen. Mine took 2 years and 9 months and it wouldn't have happend without lawyers. Don't let them get away with it. Hang in there.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

saversano HB User

Yes !!! Get A Lawyer !! Im So Tired Of Seeing People Fake Injuries And Get Away With It Only To Have People With A Real Need Denied !! Its Not Right And It Happens All The Time..
Don't Give Up !!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hessie, don't give up! If the doctors are backing you, there's much hope! Like the others have said, get a lawyer to help you. I don't think they get any fees until/unless they can get some $$ for you.

I hope tomorrow will be brighter for you!
Take care,
Emily

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Hessie,
Oh PLEASE get a lawyer. I fought for 4 years and I WON, it was a nice back pay check! Dont' be discouraged. I'm only 45 I started fighting them when I was 40, I was told by the advocate that helped me that if your under 50 they always deny you because a good percentage don't fight it because they can't stay out of work that long. Well luckly I could and did. Call yourself a lawyer and settle in for a good fight, if yoru really deserving of it you will win. SS doesn't really go much by what others say they look at medical tests & the results of therapy and things like that. My dr. filled out all the papers, I'm not even supposed to be lifting over 5 lbs. I worked in retail trust me you lift way more than 5 lbs. in retail thats for sure.

Hang in there, but don't give up, don't let them keep the money you paid into just for this reason. You deserve it, go after it.

I'll be praying for ya.

God Bless

Carol

Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

Yes, get an attorney. SSD is looking at if you can do any job. If they think you can do something for employment they will deny. The attorney will go over your case with you and file the necessary papers for an appeal. The attorney will take a percentage of your back pay as his/her fee. Good Luck

Old 06-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Hessie,

Sorry about your bad news. As other's here are saying get a lawyer!! You have been through so much! Its too bad you have to fight this battle too, I feel so bad for you. Let us know how everything is going. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rose

Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hessie Dear I am so sorry, I am lifting you up in my prayers.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I have heard that it is standard for SS to deny right away. My husband was denied 2 times and appealed finally he got a lawyer and got his approval.

Seek out legal assistance. This should really help you.

good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Makes me feel better. There is no way I can work. The back pain is unbearable most days. So how they say I can stand etc. is beyond me. Plus I have Severe Excessive Daytime Sleepiness which is a form of Narcolepsy and Obstructive Sleep Apnea Severe. I take Amphetamines three times a day just to be able to stay awake and barely function. Those are the two major problems. I have a host of other problems no so severe but there. I take two other pills that make me drowsy for muscle and nerve pain. Plus Oxycodone when the pain is really bad. It's funny. I worked for the State and was granted Disability Retirement. Two doctors signed paperwork stating I was totally disabled and could no longer work. Guess SS just doesn't care. I have read if you have the medical documentation that sometimes you can have it expedited. I must have sent in 100 pages of test results etc. Oh well. Will start looking for a lawyer Monday. I'll see if I can get a referral from my in-laws who are attorneys. They just don't do SS appeals. I was thinking they all I do is fight for everything. Nothing comes easy. I fight the health insurance constantly because they keep denying my claims. All I do is fight. Why can't things just be handed to me on a silver platter? LOL Thanks again.

Last edited by hessie28; 06-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Believe me, I complain at every doctor appointment of pain etc. Just hope they write it down. What makes me mad is they noted what reports they reviewed. Then they said they felt that was enough so they did not review the other info received. My primary always does what she can to prove my problems. They didn't look at anything she wrote. What can they learn from hospitals? They only can inform them of some test results and surgeries. I know State and Federal are different. I just figured since for my state retirement two doctors said I was permently disabled and explained why that it would have been easier. I'm pretty good at keeping copies of all reports. Doctor notes are a different thing. I never think I am privy to them. What I need is copies of my physical therapy notes. They want to charge $50.00 each time. It is too expensive. I just paid almost $300.00 to get copies of my son's medical records from two hospitals from when he was born and two hospital stays. The records came from Wisconsin. Guess the hospitals have everything on microfilm and charge when they print it. Good deal for them. I feel like they got paid back then so why have to pay for records. Everyone needs to make a buck. If the SS lawyer says he needs the stuff then I will pay again. I have a lot of doctors.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
(female)

tweiler HB User

My atty told me the way to not have to pay for records is to fill out a release for social security and have them request the records. If they request the records, then they pay any fees. And my atty gets copies of the info and anytime I ask for a copy of records, he's given me a copy. That way I can look over the records and see if anything is missing. Takes longer but it beats forking out a few hundred $$$ that we don't have to spare.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the hint. I think what i am going to do is get a letter from each doctor etc explaining my problems. I'll see what the atty. suggests.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Hessie - You might be amazed at what your doctor writes under "notes" in your medical file. Even though you are complaining at every appointment and you feel your doc is doing everything possible to prove your disabilities, you should get a copy of the notes and pray that you can decipher them!!! Believe it or not, I had an orthopedic surgeon who had filled out the required papers for my disability claim saying that I had reached the end of my recovery, that I would never get any better, and in his opinion I was 100% disabled. But when the SS folks got a look at the corresponding notes to my visits, he had things written down like: "She is improving nicely....patient states that her pain has improved....patient says she can ambulate much more easily now..." The comments like that went on and on!! I couldn't even begin to imagine who the hell he was talking about!! It certainly couldn't have been me he was thinking of. Perhaps the patient before me? After me? Or maybe he just writes things like "patient improving" on all of his notes. I do know that it absolutely sank me with the SS Disability folks and I was denied twice before my third appeal before the judge succeeded in getting my disability. You really have to look and see what's in your file. Take nothing for granted. If you can't read what's written, make an appointment with the nurse or the doc him/herself and find out what it says. If you dispute anything written, make sure the doc either changes it or corrects any misconceptions on his/her part and submits those changes to the SSDisability Administration. Good luck!! KathyMac

Closed Thread