It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

pain24-7 HB User
anyone had to fill out disabilty update report?

I've been on disabilty sine June 05. It took 3 yrs. to be approved because my Dr.'s couldn't come up with a reason for my pain. I just received an update report to fill out and I'm worried that they may stop my check. There is absolutely no way I could go back to work. My hands cause me constant pain. There aren't any jobs that don't require the use of your hands at some point. It causes tremendous pain for me to drive, brush my teeth, wash my hair and bathe. Anything that I have to grip or hold on to is nearly impossible. I just turned 41 and I know this has a great factor into "the goverments" reason for wanting me to work.
Has anyone filled out this form and had any kind of reply from them? Any input will be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone is having a pain-free day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: anyone had to fill out disabilty update report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain24-7 View Post
I've been on disabilty sine June 05. It took 3 yrs. to be approved because my Dr.'s couldn't come up with a reason for my pain. I just received an update report to fill out and I'm worried that they may stop my check. There is absolutely no way I could go back to work. My hands cause me constant pain. There aren't any jobs that don't require the use of your hands at some point. It causes tremendous pain for me to drive, brush my teeth, wash my hair and bathe. Anything that I have to grip or hold on to is nearly impossible. I just turned 41 and I know this has a great factor into "the goverments" reason for wanting me to work.
Has anyone filled out this form and had any kind of reply from them? Any input will be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone is having a pain-free day!
Hi,

The short from disability update is pretty much a screening process to see if you're still getting treatments, and seeing your doctors. Is this the card type with about 6 questions on it? If so, I've had 2 of them thus far. You'll hear from SSA within a 90 day period usually with continued benefits. Its tougher for SSA, once approved to take you OFF benefits, as they have to prove you've improved enough to sustain a FULL time employment. Simply by receiving the card type questionaire, SSA already knows you have low PROBABILITY of medical recovery...Hope this helps.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

kimbo777 HB User
Re: anyone had to fill out disabilty update report?

just got mine to indefinite, they can do it, if they do say no get in touch with disability rights thet will fill out forms for you, an if nessary go to appeal for you, they did it for me initally, got mine all back dated. dont let them confuse you they will try,becauase like a lot of people they think you are putting it on, keep your chin up an tell then how it is hope this helps

Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

bridgett19 HB User
Red face Re: anyone had to fill out disabilty update report?

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS AND YOU ARE SCARING ME. PLEASE RESPOND WITH MORE INFO. ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY. WHEN DID YOU RECEIVE OR FIND OUT THAT YOUR CLAIM WAS ACCEPTED? HOW LONG WERE YOU RECEIVING SS CHECKS UNTIL SS SENT YOU A FORM THAT WAS CHECKING UP ON YOU? I have been receiving SS checks for about a year now. Is there a certain amount of (day, months, or years) that SS then notifies you again to see how you are doing by sending a questionaire? I am so confused as I assumed (YIKES) that once I was declared disabled then I would be receiving SS check indefinitely.....am I totally off my rocker?

I really, really would appreciate your reply to my concern and of course, any other advice that you would have for me and for other people that may have the same issues. Many hugs and may everyone have a pain free day (that is all I want).

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

SS can, at any time, request an update from the recipient. It is never a definitive period (1 yr, 2yr, 3yr, 5 yr, etc). It depends on the approver and when they "diary" in the system for a follow up. Some people, though due for a follow up never have contact and that's fine.. Sometimes you know of the potential for review in advance when perhaps a judge at the ALJ level says something like "this case will be diaried for a review in 24 months".

In the big picture if SS is really doing their job they should be checking up on people, even with only the short form. It serves to indicate you are still disabled, at the same address, condition has not improved, any condition updates, you haven't gone back to work and/or have any interest/ability, etc.

For any form, be honest. They have all your past records so no need to re-hash that. Let them know of any changes in diagnosis, treatment, medications, symptoms, etc.

Most often they receive these and then you don't hear back from them. In the cases where they feel they need more information they'll get back in contact.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

Thank you so very much for addressing my concerns so quickly. I honestly don't know if I am on a 'short' list, indefinite, etc. When looking at your info. I am amazed (but so very touched) that you have the energy and comfort level to even be on a computer. I only have Fibromyalgia which comes with 17 areas of chronic pain but it is barely nothing compared to you. Thank you for being so kind and I wish you have better days. May I ask one more question please and only respond when it is convenient for you. My question is: Would it be wise to contact SS personally to see if they know if my status is declared for x amount of years or possibly indefinite or would that be recorded and remind them they need to check up on me? My status has not changed but I need to know so I can be prepared instead of all of a sudden be bombarded.
Here's to getting a good night sleep to everyone. Hugs

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My advice, do not. Don't bring attention to yourself. Don't worry about it until it happens. Given how backwards their systems and processes can be you don't want to rock the boat.

Their system may or not have a potential review date and as time goes on and processes change they could alter the plan anyway.

There's no need to be prepared. When and if it happens you see what they are asking for and deal with it at that time based on your condition, diagnoses, symptoms, etc.

The advice I give everyone is keep a log of all the doctors you see so if ever asked for who you've seen it's right in front of you.

Avoid contacting SS unless you NEED something (missing funds, change of bank for direct deposit, etc).

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

You are so very kind for responding so quickly. I will heed your advice and keep my mouth shut. As for the record keeping that is a wonderful idea. I have filed everything from doctors, to receipts of meds. but never thought to keep a journal/log where everything is at my fingertips. If it is a "good" day tomorrow I plan on purchasing a binder with pockets and start gathering materials. You have been a Godsend in addressing ALL my concerns and all I can do is say thank you again. Hugs

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

BobiM HB User

On your original disability approval letter it should have a paragraph/sentence in it when they expect to review your case.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

BobiM thanks for pointing this out but the sad, sad thing is I cannot find anywhere my actual acceptance letter and I do not dare call and ask for a copy. I am or used to be so organized (retired early from teaching) but these past few years are such a blur. I guess when I feel better (yea, right) I will have to search all my folders, binders, etc. and see what it says. Thanks so much for responding as I would be lost w/o friends like you.
Hugs

Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

It may be on your original letter, but I've seen cases where it is not. SS is very unpredictable, even if it says you'll be reviewed at 24 months they often are so far behind that you don't hear from them for 3 years or more after the expected date.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

Good to know this....still looking for original letter from Social Security

Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

SpineAZ: You always appease my mind and get back to me when you feel well enough to get on the computer. I have another (yes, please only respond when you feel well enough) question. I FINALLY found my original SS acceptance letter and they said I would have another review in 5 to 7 years....my concern is I was accepted for DEPRESSION NOT Fibroylagia as apparently there isn't a code for this...so what happens in 5 to 7 years and I can only show that I am being treated for Fibro. and on and off again depression? Should I start being treated for depression along with my Fibro.? I am already worrying that I will only have documents for Fibro. and not depression on a regular basis. The orginal doctor that they referred me to in the very beginning is horrible. I had to wait three or more hours every month. Her office would schedule 9 am appt. and she literally would not walk in the door (only front entrance) as late as 12:30 pm!!!! She would honestly have people sitting outside as there was no more room in her office area for her patients. After several months I said the heck with it as I was hurting from Fibro. NOT depression and stopped seeing her. So sorry that I went on and on. I guess I am just asking should I find another therapist to document my "depression" or do you think SS would accept how I see a Pain Mgmt. doctor for my Fibro. every single month? I would appreciate advice from you any one else that may have the same concern as me. Thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

I hate to ask this, but how old are you? It actually can make a difference.

At the time of the review they are looking for what disables you at that time. So if you went out for depression but now primarily have Fibro, as long as you have this as a formal diagnosis and are treating for it, it should work in your favor.

As another example, let's say someone gets approved for depression. 3 years later the person has a heart attack and bypass surgery. If the review from SS then happens the person would include depression if still disabling, and all the cardiac stuff that later developed.

SS will be looking at review to make sure you are still disabled and from what conditions. They may want proof of any new conditions, thus the notebook record keeping is a good idea as you can keep track of what has changed over the 5-7 year period.

When were you approved? (And when would the letter imply you may be reviewed?)

Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

It would be very helpful for you to have periodic doctor appointments to document the depression, as that will be proof that it is ongoing. As long as there's still depression, all of the other ailments are just "fluff", if you get my drift. Basically, SS is saying your depression is bad enough for disability. So all the other problems are merely "contributing", no matter how difficult they make your life. It's much easier to get SSDI based on mental problems than on physical problems.

If the depression does clear up and you are back to functioning mentally normal, then you would need proof that a different ailment now qualifies you for SSDI. SS assumes that if you are having a problem, you are seeing a doctor for that problem, otherwise the problem must not be very bad.

Your doctor has behaved in a very disrespectful way. Most psychologists show more respect for their clients than what you have described. Mental health doctors are supposed to teach / help clients learn how to cope with the world better - not be the poster child for disrespect. I have been to 4 different psychologists, and ALL of them saw me on time, including my current doctor. Keep looking, you WILL find a mental health doctor who treats you with respect.

Closed Thread