It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

Lulu70 HB User
Question Disability

I have battled with Bipolar/major depressio/ add/ocd/anxienty, all my life.
Have been in the hospital many times, and on sick leave alot.
Currently im on sick leave now, since 6/22/07. I have a phone interview with an att. tomorrow for disability, I know i shouold try the first time on my own, but i dont have the energy, or cant think straight enough to get started.
Do u thing the lawyer will take my case even though i havent filed yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

uniqueone50 HB User
Re: Disability

I don't know the answer to your question but I was told by my attorney to go ahead and apply on my own and to call him as soon as I was denied if that happened. It did and I am presently appealing and waiting on a hearing date. I'm not sure this helps but I do wish you luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

well that would suck since ive been off work all this time.....i just dont have the energy. i dont know what to do, i cant work anymore so the docs have had me off. But i cant just quit cuz i will have no ins. and i have no money, so i wouldnt be able to see a doctor.
sucks cant work cuz your sick, and your sick cuz you work.

i just pray that he just takes the case i dont even want to mess with it.
thanks for your reply

Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueone50 View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but I was told by my attorney to go ahead and apply on my own and to call him as soon as I was denied if that happened. It did and I am presently appealing and waiting on a hearing date. I'm not sure this helps but I do wish you luck.

Did it take the whole 5 months for a deny letter?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
(female)

uniqueone50 HB User

I applied in October of 2006 and was denied Febuary of 2007. I know that it is tough to be without an income. If it wasn't for my husband having a good job and income, I'm not sure what I would do. I wish that I could be of more help to you. Perhaps others will have better news for you.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I know in several states an attorney cannot file the origianl papers however, you can have a friend or relative help you to file the papers. I had to have help as I get confused due to the TIA strokes I suffered and alot of the meds I am on. I suffer from bipolar and fibro, filed for disability and was turned down which my attorney told me almost automatically happens on the first try. The reason for this is they think people will just give up and forget about it. Once you get the denial letter, your attorney will then take over everything from then on out. The attorney will not get paid unless you win the case and there is a cap on the amount of money he can get.

Just remember it can sometimes take up to 2 years and maybe longer to win your case. Just don't give up if you really believe you deserve it.

Good Luck

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It took 3 months for me to be denied. Just went to an atty a few weeks ago for the appeal. Since the atty gets paid if you will the appeal, I don't know if they would represent you for the initial filing. My lawyer said they get 25 percent but no more then $5,300.00 total if I win. Doesn't sound like a lot but if they win all the time they make big bucks I guess. He said the court is backlogged 13 months for a hearing. So sounds like it will be years for me unless we win the appeal. He thinks we will lose because of my age.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

How old are ya?
Well I will let ya'll know what he says after I talk with him today.
I just dont know what to do. I am so scared of losing my house and ending up living on the streets.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Hey Lulu, I just thought I'd share a little about my story as it sounds like we have some similarities with our illnesses. I'm 31 years old and I filed for SSDI due to major depression. I have also struggled with severe anorexia and self harm but I chose to only file for disability under the major depression because that was the most debilitating of them all.

I had been in and out of the hospital SEVERAL times and had 3 suicide attempts as well. Throughout the whole time I was going in and out of the hospital I was also seeing a therapist and psychiatrist on an outpatient basis, as well as close follow-ups with my regular doctor.

All three members of my treatment team wrote very convincing letters supporting my need for SSDI. I had a TON of paperwork and hospital evidence supporting the need for disability. I was approved within 5 months of applying -- on my first try! I know most people say that just about everyone gets denied on their first try, especially if you're young like I am. However that was NOT the case for me at all. I think what helped me was having all kinds of evidence to support what I was claiming and the fact that I was being very closely followed on an outpatient basis helped too. It showed that I was trying to work on getting my life back but that at that point in my life I was unable to work or support myself. I had just earned my Master's degree not that long before all of this started.

I just had my first review and they determined that my disability is still ongoing so I'm set for another 3-4 years. I did just start doing their "ticket to work" program and I'm working part time right now and hopefully will be off of disability soon. But for now it's been a huge help to me... I wouldn't be able to cover rent or other expenses with just the money I make at my part time job.

I hope this helps you a little.... it seems like so many stories on here are about people getting denied and having to appeal over and over again so I thought I'd share a story that shows that the system CAN work for people!!

Lizzy

Old 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

He LuLu,
Don't jump off the deep end. You need to go apply for medicade and food stamps and money. Seems to me if they told you not to work your entitled to these benefits with no income.
I lived in a condo when I applied and I was so afraid I was going to lose my home. I did wind up selling just about everything in it to get by while waiting but I made it by the skin of my teeth. Just about when you give up ever having peace of mind again something good happens.
So hang in there and be prepared for a fight. Good luck to you. Sunshine

Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

thank you for sharing. I did just finish my application, and a big ole prayer. I dont know how im gonna make it from now until i get my first letter. the lawyer i spoke with said i have a strong case, but the only thing i would have to do is convince them i cant do any job. i dont know what other job there is out there i think ive tried them all.lol. im not as young as u r.
So i will keep you posted,

Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu70 View Post
How old are ya?
Well I will let ya'll know what he says after I talk with him today.
I just dont know what to do. I am so scared of losing my house and ending up living on the streets.
Hi, I'm 42. I have Severe Daytime Sleepiness which I take two Amphetamine prescriptions to stay awake. I have alot of pain post op fusion surgery. I also have pinched nerve/herniated discs in my neck and tendonitis in both elbows. I take a lot of meds. With all that still denied. The lawyer said none of those really fit into any of their 14 categories. The back does but they didn't feel it was bad enough. So he said we will appeal, lose, appeal again, lose and then win before a judge. Sounds like the long haul. Who knows.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
(female)

Imajeanation HB User

I live on disability, so maybe I can add a little help to this. I fully agree with the previous post to your question. Attorneys will only look at the case if you have been turned down...I think it is three or four times.

However, I can tell you that you can get some of it done by phone. They are there to help you to file for disability. You will get a bunch of papers to fill out, and you can request assistance to fill them out.

Something important, though: Documentation documentation, documentation is the key to getting your disability first time around. That is how I got mine first round and I nearly fell off my chair when I got it. When I asked how this happened (in tears of relief), I was told that it was because of the overwhelming documentation. There are sections in there to fill out a kind of compare and contrast...how life was before disability, (what kind of work you did and how it is that you are unable to continue)...what you cannot do now...showing the dramatic change in quality of life now. Had friends...lots of friends and family who knew how life was before and how it is now who were willing to sit down and write letters on my behalf re: compare and contrast of my life/limitations now. And Doctors:::::::::don't forget the docs! I got reports from doctors, I took every shred of evidence in that I could get my hands on. Xray films MRIs, and reports...everything I could get. Hope that this helps relieve some of your apprehensions. Extensive, extensive writing will help you alot. Keep it simple and needful. Best regards.

Last edited by Imajeanation; 07-11-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

Man i am so discouraged, my shrink, who said my last visit supported me being on disability. well i saw her friday and she was filling out fmla papers out for me, i wanted to try to hold onto my job for insurance reasons. But she was screaming at me saying my therapist should be filling them out, but ive only seen him like 4 times. ive seen her for 7 yrs. then shes like well in sept you can try to go back 4 days a week. i cant go back there, it will be the same cycle over and over. i will just let my job go. sometimes i think my shrink is a little off herself! how will i ever get disability if my own doctor is being a jerk and thinks i can work, why is she doing this to me now? like they want me to just give up and hurt myself. the thought of going back to work makes me throw up or it comes out the other way! everytime i turn around doors are being shut in my face.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
(male)

steven6530 HB User

This type of disability generally will cover you for two years with most disability companies, but it can vary. Whatever the benefit is, do your best to fight for it.
Steven6530

Closed Thread