It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
(male)

ray78640 HB User
Update: After Fully Favorable Decision

I got my approval letter from the ALJ office w/Fully Favorable decision.
Now I've received a letter from Alsup and my local SSA office.
I have an appointment tomorrow (by phone) for my SSI info.
I guess just because I was approved for SSI by the Judge doesn't make it final??? Will my spouses income go against me? arrghhh!
I called the SSA 800 number.....what a pain in the butt it is talking to some of these people/ Sometimes, you get a really nice person.....but today I got the opposite! I was told that there was activity showing from the Payment Center on my file. I asked what that meant and I was told that it meant (and she said it louder this time)....that there was ACTIVITY, didn't you hear me the first time?
I was too p'ed off to remain on the phone.

I will update after my phone appt.

Letter from Alsup says they will try to get any overpayment from my backpay. They say that they do it from my bank, after direct deposit.
But I'm not getting a direct deposit. I do not have DD set up (no more acct).
I called SSA several months back to have the Direct Deposit info removed when my acct was closed. I assume I will receive a check.
Can anyone tell me if they've been thru this?
Should I get a Paper Check in the mail? And if so, does SSA take the Insurance overpayment out first, or is the Insurance company going to have to rely on me sending it to them?
Can I pay them in monthly insyallments, just like they paid me? LOL
Just kidding.........we all need a little humor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
(female)

tweiler HB User
Re: Update: After Fully Favorable Decision

Spouse income does count for SSI, if you are living together. If you are living in seperate homes, then it doesn't count.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Ray - I think Tweiler is right under most circumstances. You may want to make the separation legal. You can get much of the paperwork online and file yourself without having to hire a lawyer.

My parents were in a traumatic car accident and my Mother ended up in a nursing home and Father living with my brother. Since the living arrangement was medical necessity based, Dad had to file for legal separation so that Mom could get SSI. Although Dad was on SS, Mom was too young for Medicare and Mom's medical expenses would have cost Dad everything he had left, which belive me was not much.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
(male)

ray78640 HB User

OK - Had the phone interview. Still confused though. Does SSI go strictly by any income and/or assets or do they also use our cost of living to calculate?
For instance, if we lived on our families property rent free and did not have many bills but also had no income, does that help or hurt?

The day after the phone interview (today) we received a letter asking me to verify the info gathered from me.
The letter says if there needs to be any correction(s) I must do it within 10 days/ otherwise simply keep letter for my records.
So I suppose I get my SSI backpay within the next couple of weeks?

Does anyone have experience similar to this?

Still no word from Payment Center on my SSDI Backpay......still waiting.

Peace

Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

In dh's case, he had to write a check to his insurance company. We would never have allowed the LTD company to access our account for the backpay. Expect the insurance company to be pretty persistant in trying to get their backpay.

SSI counts any income including your spouse's and assets when determining benefits. There is a limit on the amount of assets you can own that won't count against you. If you were able to get the name of the person that yelled at you when inquiring about SSI benefits, I'd feel inclined to talk to her super or write a letter of complaint.

From what I understand, SSDI backs out atty fees. Never heard of them sending backpay to the insurance company. You need to request that Allsup send you an itemized accounting of money they've paid you before you send them a check. Do you know if you have to pay for atty fees? One more point - dh was able to keep any cost of living raise that occurred during the time SSA found him to be disabled. The COL adjustment was backed out of the monthly benefit and backpay that was owed to the insurance company. Hopefully it's the same with Allsup.

Last edited by kaybee; 08-12-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
(male)

ray78640 HB User

OK - here is update -

Called local office today - they say SSI approved and already sent out, lady says I should see something in maile in "couple of days".

I called 800 number today (about SSDI) - was told "it's in Payment Center and being processed". Would not/could not tell me an amount.

Still waiting

Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
(male)

zman500 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray78640 View Post
OK - here is update -

Called local office today - they say SSI approved and already sent out, lady says I should see something in maile in "couple of days".

I called 800 number today (about SSDI) - was told "it's in Payment Center and being processed". Would not/could not tell me an amount.

Still waiting
does any know when my SSDI backpay will be sent?? I recieved my first payment for ssdi on Aug. 8th, 2007. But when will the backpay be sent. Also i got a letter aug. 14th telling me that i have a ssi backpay coming for $6,100. How long does it take to get that check also??

Thanks,
Zman500

Old 08-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

tweiler HB User

I called SSA today to check on my claim as well. I was told it is at the processing center but they couldn't give me any more info on backpay. Told me I will receive my first monthly check in September. Also said that backpay is sent out within 60 days of date of first monthly check. So maybe I will have it before Christmas.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
(male)

ray78640 HB User

AJL Hearing June 14, 2007
Fully Favorable decision July 27, 2007

Today - SSI file is now complete - SSDI still at Payment Center, not complete yet.......................

Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
(male)

unforgave1 HB User

Same thing here, got my phone interview and told me that she was mailing me out something telling me more of what they needed and something to sign and return? I dont know what else there is?? Gov is happy to take your dang money but when its time to pay the pipper its something else. I cant spell so I hope thats right? lol

Closed Thread