It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
People DO get approved on their first try!!!

I have read a lot of people say on here that no one ever gets approved on their first try, that the system is set up to turn people away and discourage people, etc. Also, I've read a lot of people say that there are age requirements and that if you are below a certain age that they will "automatically" deny you on your first try just because of your age.

Well I just wanted to offer encouragement to those of you who are applying right now. I was approved on my first try and got my decision in about 4 months. And, on top of that, I was 28 when I applied for and started receiving SSDI. I know that it is hard to get approved for SSDI on your first try but please know that it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE!! And it may be more difficult to receive disability if you are younger, but again, IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!

I am on disability for major depression and I applied online and then filled out all the paperwork they required, and my entire treatment team sent in papers supporting my case. I was not even required to see one of their psychiatrists before I was approved. The whole process was made very easy for me, and honestly it was a very positive experience. And right now I'm doing the ticket to work program and the people at SSDI are all very helpful and supportive.

Just thought I'd share a positive story for you all....

Last edited by lizzy76; 08-31-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: People DO get approved on their first try!!!

I was approved for SSD (not for SSDI) on my first application for seizures and an autonomic nervous system disorder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

My atty actually asked me if I suffered from depression. He said people with depression especially if ever hospitalized seem to get on the first try. I have Narcolepsy which no one understands and doesn't fall into any of their categories. My other issues are sleep apnea, back pain etc. It is nice to know that people do get on their first try. Gives me hope that maybe I may win on appeal.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
(male)

Monty44 HB User

I too was approved on my first application when I was 45. I have severe DDD and have had five surgeries in the last three years. Also had a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted to help with thoracic neuropathy. I was approved after five months. So, yes you can get approved on first application, even when fairly young. Good luck!!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

I just wanted to say a little bit more about my case... yes, I was diagnosed with major depression but I had A LOT of stuff going on that led to my getting disability. Over a period of less than 2 years I had 3 very serious suicide attempts, over 15 hospitalizations for depression and was doing continous outpatient treatment with my doctor, therapist and psychiatrist. So my case is more severe than "just" being diagnosed with major depression.

I've known people who have applied for SSDI for major depression and have been turned away. I was told (and so were they) that there needs to be a certain severity to the case before they will consider you to be disabled. So just in saying that you have major depression probably won't get you very far with SSDI - you will need to have the documentation to back it up - several hospital stays, continous outpatient treatment, need to have tried different medications to help with the depression, etc.

I don't think there is any one condition that will make getting SSDI any easier... let's face it, we're all at the severe end of whatever diagnosis we may have.

Last edited by lizzy76; 09-02-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
(female)

erin1715 HB User

Did you receive backpay for the 4 months that you waited to be approved? We got approved on our first try and i'm wondering if they pay you from the time you submit the application. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

erin - they pay you one year back from the date you applied.

I'm still waiting . Its been 3 months now..This thread has given me hope.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
(female)

erin1715 HB User

Ok, so my husband applied in May or June and we got an approval letter last week but he won't get his first monthly check until the end of November for the month of October...will they give us backpay for June, July, August, Sept?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Yeah, like Shawley said, they will give you backpay that goes back to the day you applied. It doesn't matter how long or how short your wait was to get approved. I received my backpay for the 4 months that it took to get approved. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
(female)

My Back Hurts HB User

Erin,

You should call the SSA to clarify whether or not he is entitled to back pay.

If your husband applied for SSDI (not SSI) in May-June (and if his actual disability onset date was listed in the award letter as May or June, and not sooner) he would not be entitled to any back benefits as the SSA has a five month waiting period in which they withhold the first five months of an approved claimant's benefits.

An example would be:

A claimant who has been awarded benefits with an onset date of March 1 will only be eligible to receive benefits as of August 1st.

From what you have stated, my guess is that the SSA has his disability onset
date as beginning in May 2007.
It sounds to me like they are witholding payments for the months of May-September which would most likely be his waiting period and why they listed November (for the month of October) as his benefit start date. SSD benefits run one month behind.

Not all claimants are entitled to back pay, it varies by the onset date, when a person first applied, and how long it takes for a claim to be approved.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

The only time you receive back pay is if you have been turned down at least once. I applied four years ago and five months later I was notified I was approved for benefits. That was in February, 2003 and I got my monthly check the first of March, 2003. No pay was received from September of 2002, when I first applied for SSD. If there is any doubt, call your local SSA office or if there isn't one in your area, call the 800#.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

I don't know about that... like I said, I received back pay and I was approved on my first try....

Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
(female)

My Back Hurts HB User

Some people do receive backpay on a first time approval, all cases vary.

An example would be a claimant who waited a year before first applying (listing their actual disability onset date for the year prior) therefore they would be entitled to back pay, less the waiting period.

If a person applies the very first month they become disabled and gets approved within those first five months, then they would not be entitled to any back pay.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
(female)

sondra52 HB User

I was one of the lucky ones who did get approved the first time, without any involvement with attorneys, etc. I had 30 yrs. of medical records to confirm my condition, and I'm 55, so don't know if any of that made a difference. I applied 07/06, and got my first check 4/07. I'm looking at the letter I got when the disability was granted, and it reads "you have to be disabled 5 full calendar months in a row before you can be entitled to benefits. For these reasons, your first month of entitlement to benefits is December 2006". Therefore, I didn't receive backpay back to the day I applied, but I did get it back to 12/06 (they deemed me disabled 06/29/06, and there was a 5 month waiting period). They told me when I applied that if it was granted, I would receive backpay back to the day I applied, but they didn't mention a 5 month waiting period. Oh well, I felt extremely blessed for what I did get. The bad thing is that I don't qualify for medicare until 12/08, so I can't afford to see a psychiatrist. Obviously, if you're disabled, you need medical care, so it makes no sense that they grant the disabiity, but deny medicare for 2 yrs. Some States I guess have programs for in the interim, but not mine. Oh well, I get my meds from RX Outreach, and the most expensive one for free from the pharmaceutical company, and there's a free medical clinic, so I guess I'm not going to complain. There just aren't any affordable mental health facilities available, and unfortunately, that's what I need. Anyway, hope this helped a little on the backpay issue.

Last edited by sondra52; 09-04-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

My Back Hurts - you are right, that's exactly what my situation was like. Even though I approved in 4 months my disability started way before that. I guess that's why they gave me backpay.... all I know is that I did receive backpay on first application for SSDI.

Closed Thread