It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
Time frame please ??

Hi all hope all is well today ... I have a question I hope someone can answer. I am still so very happy with the fully favorable decision I received at my hearing. Some one still must pinch me because I am still in shock it is all over. ok my question........ My hearing was August 28th. My lawyer said the judge ruled in my favor. ok so far I have heard or received nothing at all. I talked to my lawyer and she said we are waiting for the formal aproval letter in the mail. How long does that usually take ?? If I was approved Aug 28th does anyone have a "quesstimate" of when I would officially receive my first SS check ?? Will I receive my first check before my backpay ?? I am asking all of this because not that I am not relieved I am finally gonna get SS it's just that I apsolutely need to pay some bills that I am waiting on to pay with my first check or back pay. I am very happy to know it's all going to work our alittle for my family but in the mean time I am so so broke.........any input on how long this all takes to get started is greatly appreciated..........I pray you all finally get your approvals as well..........take -care ,

Last edited by Queenneeee; 09-17-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
(male)

jamie07735 HB User
Re: Time frame please ??

I live in Pa. to and my ALJ hearing was Aug.6 and judge told me I was approved and I would get a letter within 30 days with the official decision, I got my letter telling me fully favorable on Sept. 2nd (the judge signed it aug30th) Went to ssi office to set up direct deposit and was told that they have up to 60 days to send my award letter telling me how much I will receive and how much back pay owed, they said that after I get the award letter it will take up to another 60 days to start getting a check. I hope it comes before x-mas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

Hi Jamie ....thank you so much for the info. Congrats on your 'fully favorable' desision as well. I am also glad you likewise live in Pa. (GO STEELERS!) because I can relate your time frame to my situation. We only had our court dates 3 weeks apart. Mine was in Franklin, Pa. So you already got your first letter in the mail? I am eagerly awaiting mine, I will post when I get it. Would you please post again whenever you get anything else about SS that way I can kinda judge when mine might arrive. I guess we are playing the wait and wait again game once more. I am still very very happy my court date is over and they ruled in my favor but I will equally be happy when I receive the back pay and my first check ( I am so very behind with all my bills ) So PLEASE let me know when you receive yours and I will as well. Oh I also hope it's before Christmas and even earlier than that...take -care, I ask again please keep me updated I will await your posts, thanks in advance

Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Congrats to both of you on your fully favorable decisions!!!

When I was approved for SSD this is how it went...

I received my letter stating that the decision was fully favorable
About 1 1/2 months later I received my back benefits and then about another month later I received my "award letter" stating what my back benefits were going to be and what my monthly benefits were going to be, etc.. That's how it worked for me - got my back benefits in a check and then a few weeks later I got the letter explaining to you what your benefits are going to be. But I've talked to people who got the letter first and then the check.

You can always call the SS office and check with them, they might be able to give you an idea of when it will be sent out.

Good luck and congrats again!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
(female)

Wellllllll it's more than a month since my hearing ......and still nothing !! I called my lawyer two weeks ago and she said 'we' are waiting for a letter and then we take it from there. If I could run yet that is what I would do to the mail box each day, I just hold my breath waiting and waiting. I sure was hoping my first check would at least be in Oct. Now I have heard you get your SS check each month on your birthday (like if you birthday is Feb 14th you get your check on the 14th ) is that true ? I still don't remember if I ever gave my lawyer my checking acct. number, if I did, I did it at our first interview because I know I haven't since being approved and I know I never copied my birth certificate. My other question is since I have a lawyer should I still call the SS office to ask about my case, or should that be up to my lawyer ?? Jamie you sound like your case is moving a little faster even since your hearing was 3 weeks before mine. Hopefully your check/s will be in your mailbox this week !! Mommy2babies congrats to you as well. I also heard of people not knowing their backpay was in their checking accts until they checked their balance and then afterwards getting their award letter. I faithfully check my checking acct balance each morning but it seems silly since I don't remember ever giving my acct. number, lol. I really am not complaing I am still so thankfull I got my favorable decision !! I just wish now that I have I would hear SOMETHING. Thanks again for keeping me posted ......take -care,

Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Hey Queenee
I think it's fine for you to call SS even if you have an attorney - I called them several times and it was never a problem. You're doing all the right things, checking the mail, your bank account, etc.. I hope it gets there soon!!! You're not complaining because you haven't gotten your check - just anxious! I'm sure you've been waiting a VERY long time for this and there's nothing wrong with wanting it to get there already!!!

You're monthly check comes based on your birthday. If your b-day is on the 1st - 10th, your benefits are paid on the second Wed. of the month. B-day from 11th - 20th, check on 3rd Wed. of month. 21st - 31st, check on the 4th Wed. of the month.

If you want, call SS and ask them if they can tell you the status of your benefit letter and check. They'll be glad to tell you what they can.

Hang in there! and let me know if i can answer any other questiosn for you

Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I just can't believe it takes them so long to approve someone , I filed in June and I called last month to see how things where going and they said if I don't hear anything by Nov.13 call them . Its a shame I have to be treated this way . I have Bills that need payed and they don't care... I worked for it and deserve better treatment

Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
(female)

Hi everyone !! Hope all is good ! Well my 'ball' is finally rolling. I got in the mail today (Oct 1) my very thick 'fully approved' letter. I was very happy to finally receive something. The letter was very thick because it contained all my typed reports. My husband and I read it and were alittle set back and sad because I have things wrong with my spine I wasn't even aware of. My doctors and lawyer apsolutely went into detail to explain my condition. (now I can understand why I got approved right away, I am not in good shape,*sigh) Well after I read the letter my lawyer called because she got her copy too. She said the next step is to wait for a phone call from SS within the next 2 weeks. Then they will ask for checking acct. number etc. Then we wait for a letter that states my back pay amount. I asked her when I would actually get my first regular SS check and she said she is guessing DECEMBER !! That to me is crazy, I was approved August 28th !! When I finally receive my monthy checks maybe just maybe we can lead somewhat of a normal life once again.........hope my time frame is helpful to all of you as well as Jamie's time frame has been helpfull to me....take -care,

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Queenee I'm thrilled for you that you got your letter!!! It's the next step in getting things straightened out. I know what you mean about it being hard to read some of the stuff in it - especially if you weren't fully aware of everything going on with your health. Even if you had known everything, it's tough to actually read it in writting and understand the finality of it all.

Hang in there, hopefully you'll get your back benefits and monthly checks starting quicker than you think! Can't wait to finally see you're post saying you have!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
(female)

thanks mommy2babies for the words of encouragement !! I have just read some of your previous posts and want to express my admiration to you. You sound like you have been through alot as well (if not more) and you still have such encouraging words for all. Yes I, like you have a hubby that is beyond words. Mine has worked two full 40 hour jobs since I lost mine and he never complains or hints that he is unhappy. He has said to others that I have always pulled my share and now he needs to really step up for awhile to get us through this. Mommy2babies, you and I are surely blessed. But it still has been really really hard. I just kinda pick a bill that is closest to termination and pay it first. It was such a relief to be approved but the anticipation of finally getting to actually get my bills caught up and then to be able to make a budget with my monthly check will be so nice. I will keep all of you posted .........this board has been my life saver ,it is so nice to hear encouraging words and advice here, it has helped more than you all will ever know. Jamie it still sounds like I am one step behind you thanks again for keepingme up on your the time frame. Mommy2babies if you ever feel the need to chat here I am here for you. It sounds like our back problems are very similiar (and painfully alike, sad to say) take -care ,

Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Queenee
If there were only words to tell you how much your last post means to me! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it. Pain robs us of so much and to be admired for how I'm handling things is priceless! I often feel unneeded, so to be able to help you during this is my honor!

Yes, we are both blessed to have these wonderful men in our lives. I honestly don't know how I wouldn't have gotten through all of this without my hubby. Yes, there have been a lot of ups and downs through all of this, but thankfully we've worked through them and come out stronger on the other side. The pain, financial struggles, etc. put a huge strain on a marriage, but at this point we figure if we've been able to make it through everything we've been through in the past 8 years, we can get through anything life throws at us! I'm sure you and your hubby feel the same way!

I know how you're feeling about the anticipation of finally being able to get your finances back on track. When I finally got my back benefits it was like a weight had lifted from my shoulders! Who knew it could be such a pleasure to write out a bunch of checks and pay bills! We quickly figured out a budget and every month I write out the bill checks and smile! I don't know if you read this in one of my posts, but we were less than a month away from foreclosure when I finally got my benefits... It's a shame it takes soooo long to get approved and that you have to almost loose everything before it happens. I guess that weeds out the people that aren't really hurt - I guess the figure if you're willing to loose everything, you're not faking huh?

Thanks again for your kind words. You gave me such a boost today! I will be saying a prayer for you and that your checks start arriving soon and you can begin to get some type of normalcy back in your life.

Keep in touch!
Dee

Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
(male)

jamie07735 HB User
Talking award letter and back pay

Queenee,
Just wanted to update you, since my last post I think on 9/26/07 social security office told me when I called that my back pay was to be released that night and I should receive it with in 7 days. On Monday (10/01/07) I called them back to ask were my check was and was told a different story that it wasn't sent out in the mail but now it was going direct deposit into my bank account and I should get it no later them Friday. Today (10/03) I went to the mail box and guess whats there my backpay for 17 months, not direct deposit but thru the mail also I got a award letter that tells me about my backpay and that my next payment which is for October 2007, will be received on about the second Wednesday of November2007. First they take 6months of backpay away from you , lawyer got $5,300 total ($11594.00) I guess they feel we won't miss something you never see. Now they tell me my benefits wont start for another month (the backpay is nice) I pay every month to go to pain management, have meds filled and was looking forward to getting medicare due to lost heath insurance when I went out of work and wife insurance won't cover me due to my back, they say you can get medicare after 2 years disability but they don't tell you that your first 6 months don't count so I have to wait another 6 months for a total of 2 and a half years before I can get insurance ( just needed to vent sorry) if your time table is close to mine you should get your back pay in about 3 to 4 more weeks. Good luck and keep your chin up there are brighter days a coming

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
(female)

Congrats Jamie !! I am so happy to hear you FINALLY got your backpay!! What a surprise you had in your mailbox !! Especially since you were expecting it in your checking account. I guess all the time frames SS tells us and what they do is just useless because nothing seems to happen the way they say. I bet your hand hurts today from writing all your bills out !! But what a wonderful feeling that must be. Since you were told your first real check will be received in Nov I guess my lawyer is right saying I won't get mine til Dec, I also think that is crazy. Sorry to hear you still have to wait to get your insurance. I though am surprised at that time frame. I thought we wouldn't receive any insurance until we were RECEIVED ss checks for 2 full years. I think by the time we receive our backpay, our regular SS checks then finally our insurance we will be so stressed out and down in our luck they will be paying for us to get mental health help as well. I know my mental state at this time is totally STESSED !! Thank you once again for all your information it truely has told me more than any judge , SS officier or even my lawyer. Please check back here and I will let you know when I finally receive my check/s as well , maybe we can celebrate together in cyber space, lol....take-care,

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Jamie:
Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you're just over the moon excited! I know the whole medicare thing gets a little confusing about when it starts. Your medicare starts 2 years and 6 months after the date they say you became disabled. I think the reasoning is that since they don't pay for the first 6 months they don't count that into the time frame. I know it's frustrating! But hang in there - things are looking up for you! Enjoy it!

Hey Queenee
I don't think SS knows exactly what they're doing half the time. I got my back pay and monthly benefits as checks in the mail - they never even asked for my bank acct. info. I still get my monthly checks by mail. I'm having a problem with WC and SSD deciding who is supposed to pay me what each month, so I like being to have a copy of the actual check to keep for my records. Think once they get it all straightened out I will go to Direct Deposit though.

Hope both of you are having a great day!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
(female)

Hi all,hope all is well. Well it's going on 2 months since my hearing. So far all I have received is my confirmation about my fully favorable decision. Sadly we had to make an unexpected trip to florida this past week for a family funeral. (my 57yr. old brother- in- law died unexpectedly)When we returned I was afraid I might have missed my phone call from SS which is what my next step was, so I called my lawyer but that call went unreturned. So today I called SS office for the first time. I didn't wait too long on the phone and the gentleman was very nice on the phone. He said he doesn't think I missed my call, they might even send me a letter first to set up a phone conversation, however he wanted my bank acct numbers (finally someone wants them) and he said I should run my birth certificate to the SS office tomorrow. I don't understand how some people say they are surprised when they check and their money is already in the bank, is that after you take your birth certificate in ?? Anyway he said he wanted this because once my case leaves his office it is "gone". So tomorrow I will run my stuff downtown and then I guess my next thing to wait for will be a phone interview from SS. When will this ever end ?? Don't get me wrong I am still thrilled the scarey not knowing part is over but it sure would be nice to see some kind of money by now. Jamie you got your backpay already right >?? Now it's just a wait to see what month your regular checks will start. Mommy2babies, hope all is well with you as well, may I ask what you are doing about taxes if you have to do anything at all. I know we will have to pay something from our backpay, I wish I could just have the taxes taken out of it right from the start because God knows we won't have it to pay at income tax time (my hubby is employed so that will put us over the limit) I feel like this is the slowest period of my life , like I said it's like knowing you are getting a very special gift but you don't know what it is or WHEN you will get it. ...... I check my mail and checking acct. daily and it is getting very depressing to say the least. take -care all,

Closed Thread