It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

sherry77 HB User
Question Question about SSD back pay?

This is for the ones who have been really blessed to be found favorable in getting their SSD. How long does it take to get your back pay? I will be getting my first SSD check in December. But don't know anything about the back pay yet. They owe me 5 years.

Thank you very much for your replies.
Everybody have a blessed day.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
(male)

timpa HB User
Re: Question about SSD back pay?

They use to send that first, then the reg monthly checks right afterwards. But I been on it for 23 years now, so I'm not sure but I don't see why they would change that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Did you use direct deposit? I got my approval letter on Apr. 29 and my back pay was deposited in my account on May 10 and then a few days my first monthly check was deposited. So it took about two weeks for me since I used direct deposit. If you did use direct deposit keep checking your account because I received mine before I receive my notice. I just checking my balance by phone one day and there it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to rayefaye For This Useful Post:
squirrilpoppin (07-02-2011)
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

sherry77 HB User

Thank you for replys I sure hope mine goes the same way I could really use it right now. I do have direct deposit so I will keep checking the bank. Have a blessed day everybody.

Last edited by sherry77; 11-26-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Question about SSD back pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry77 View Post
This is for the ones who have been really blessed to be found favorable in getting their SSD. How long does it take to get your back pay? I will be getting my first SSD check in December. But don't know anything about the back pay yet. They owe me 5 years.

Thank you very much for your replies.
Everybody have a blessed day.
Hi Sherry,

Your 1st monthly benefit, and your retro backpay normally comes within months of eachother. I first received the first check, and within weeks, my retro came in. I do want to tell you though that SSD ONLY pays retro for ONE full year, and a non payment for a 5 month period. For instance, my approval was dated back in Sept of 98. From Sept. thru Feb. NO pay, till March...Hope this helps...Vergie

Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
(female)

racingnanny HB User

So if you filed 5 years ago they will only pay for 1 year minus five months? I guess I do not understand. My husband filed 4 years ago this coming December, his hearing is in January 2008 if he is found favorable then how many years will they pay him for?

Thank-you
Nancy

Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Question about SSD back pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingnanny View Post
So if you filed 5 years ago they will only pay for 1 year minus five months? I guess I do not understand. My husband filed 4 years ago this coming December, his hearing is in January 2008 if he is found favorable then how many years will they pay him for?

Thank-you
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

Yes, SSA only goes back 1 full yr. of retro payments. Then theres the 5 month of non pay, sort of a waiting period. Better than nothing, I think, although, SSA should waive the waiting period. Once proven disabled, payments should start immediately. We have waited long enough thru the whole process from inital stage thru approval, and most people are not getting any income during this time, unless one has some off-shore account they're drawing from. {Smile]

Blessings,
Vergie

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

gagalabama HB User

I've asked this question many times and haven't really gotten an answer. How can they only go back one year and then take away five months? I looked at the government's site and can't find the answer. I thought back pay goes to the date of onset? Am I mistaken?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
(female)

My Back Hurts HB User

Social security disability benefits (SSDI) can be paid back to the date of application and up to 12 months retroactive to this date.
SSDI does have a five month waiting period.

The part that gets confusing is "and up to 12 months retroactive to this date" The 12 months retroactive they are referring to centers around the application date, not 12 months from the time an approval is issued.

If a claimant filed four years ago (and the onset date was established as such) the claimant would be entitled to multiple years of back pay assuming they meet all the criteria.

If a person's disability started more than a year prior to their date of application, the SSA will only pay retro back to one year of the appplication date.

An example of retro: John Smith became disabled in June 2003 but actually didn't apply for SSDI until June 2005. Because John waited to file two years after he became disabled, the SSA will only pay him retro back one year, going back to 2004.
If John finally gets approved in the year of 2007, his back pay would be calculated starting with the year of 2004, thus collecting back pay for three years.

I hope this helps, I tried my best to explain as back pay can be very confusing.

Last edited by My Back Hurts; 11-29-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added to posting

Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

gagalabama HB User

GREAT BIG THANK YOU !! I finally understand and you did a great job of explaining that. I filed for a hearing in January 07, so I'm still playing the waiting game. Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate your help.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
(female)

My Back Hurts HB User

You are very welcome. Good luck with your claim, I wish everyone in the process well
I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say, I had to keep going over it to make sure I understood it blame it on the meds

Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
(female)

kp8868 HB User
Post Re: Question about SSD back pay?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the explaination of the retro pay. I understood that if approved you would get paid back to the date you filed minus the 5 month waiting period and it could go back as much as 12 months prior to the date you filed? I don't know if anyone out there has had the following situation happen but I would love to hear from you if you have. My husband was hurt on the job back in Sept, 1989. Once we saw the extent of his injuries we immediately filed for Social Security Disability. He required two back surgeries and 4 fusions in his neck. He was turned down twice. Upon appeals we finally got an ALJ hearing in March of 1994. We literally had a quack judge who after hearing the case stated "surely the neurosurgeon would not have done surgery to render you disabled, so he found my husband disabled from the date of injury up to the date of the hearing (a partial decision) but considered him no longer disabled even though he had all of the fusions limited mobility in his neck and severe pain in neck, back and down legs. He was given his back pay from the time we filed minus the 5 month waiting period. We immediately appealed this and was turned down again. by this time it was 1995. We opened a new claim and received a letter 1 year later that they were having to bring in more judges on a temporary basis because they were so backlogged on these cases. We then heard from our attorney that the judge who heard his case in 1994 was in a mental institution (seriously) which was not hard to understand because he was one weird dude, asking stupid questions and laughing outloud several times. Anyway, finally in 1997 (over 7 years from initially filing but 2 1/2 years after the new filing) he had a hearing and that one went so smooth. He was basically told in a round about way that he was approved. Then the bad news. They told us he did not qualify because he had to have worked 5 out of the last 10 years. When we filed the new claim (which was the only option we had) he did not qualify now for SSDI because he had not worked the quarters needed within the last 10 years. We did not fully understand how we could be held responsible for a delayed process that was out of our hands. Our lawyer appealed it to a higher court and we lost. My husband was given SSI until the point that I made to much money for him to qualify. NOW HERE's THE GOOD PART. This past Sept 27th, we received a call from out local Social Security office that my husband's case was in with their review cases but it was unusual that it was that old (13 years, maybe because of all of my letters to every politician I could send a letter to). The worker stated that he should have been receiving a SSDI check all along in addition to the SSI. She said he would be re-instated and now since it had been so long would automatically start receiving Medicare. I asked about the back pay and she said he would get it back to the date he started receiving SSI which was April of 1994. We called to get an update the beginning of Nov. and it was in the Quality review status. Sixty days to the day we received a letter in the mail to fill out for Prescription assistance and you could only apply for that if you were approved for Medicare. I called the worker in our local office and found out he was definately approved but it had not made it to payment yet. Today she told us that we should get all of the payment within 30 days. We are in a state of shock to say the least. All these years of struggling and having two kids who never had things a lot of others could have. KEEP PUSHING FOR WHAT YOU DESERVE.....but I hope you all don't have to go through what we indured. God Bless!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to kp8868:
squirrilpoppin (07-02-2011)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
(female)

kp8868 HB User
Re: Just a little update on qualifying backpay straight from the SSA (horses mouth).

I specifically asked during a face to face appt with our case worker how the backpay works. My husband was hurt in Sept 1989 and applied for benefits in Jan 1990. After several hearings (years) he was denied. We fought it to the higest level and lost. He did however receive a partial decision. Quacky Judge said he was disabled from the date he was hurt (Sept 89) but that since he had his last surgery in March of 93 he was no longer disabled cause surely the doctor would not have done surgery to render him disabled .....no quack he did surgery to relieve the pain. He started getting SSI in April 93.We opened a new claim and in 1997 he won....but no pay cause he now did not meet the working quarters needed. When we heard this past Sept. that he should have been getting paid, I asked for dates for back pay. SSA worker said that his first claim paid him starting on the 6th month after the date he was hurt through the first judges decision in March 93. Since he should have been getting paid due to an SSA error since April 93 his back pay would go back to that date because his 5 month waiting period was accessed on the original claim filed in Jan 1990. Basically to make a long story short, they can go back 12 months from the date you filed your claim to start paying you but the first 5 months do not count (waiting period) they said it IS NOT limited to only paying you back pay for 12 months from the decision. REMEMBER FOR BACKPAY: They can go back 12 months from the date you file to count that as your date of disability but the first 5 months you don't get paid (of that 12 months) If you have a fully favorable decision you will be paid backpay from that start payment date through the month your fully favorable decision was made. Then your regulary monthly check will start after that.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
(female)

bellablue2 HB User

Hi KP, You just made my day: THE JUDGE IS IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL. That's just great. I am glad you won because I quess you can get a good laught at how our system works. I am waiting for an appeal date. I wrote to my Senator, and all of a sudden they call with a date. BUT GUESS WHAT? My stupid lawyer will not come to the town that they have the date available. Can you believe that. So now I am back to the waiting game. As far a back pay, I am not even going there yet. This has been so crazy that I will take it one step at a time.

Thanks for the chuckle
Jeane

Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
(female)

sherry77 HB User

Hey everybody just to let you know I am still waiting for my back pay. Can't believe it I call and each time I keep getting different stories. Does anybody know if they have a time limit on how long they can keep your back pay? I was found favorable in Oct of 2007 after a five year battle. I was suppose to get a Nov check but didn't. They said it was on hold. I got a Dec check but they took 2 medicare payments out of it which left me hardly anything. I did get my Jan check, but still waiting for back pay. I have alot of medical bills to pay can't keep putting them off much longer. These people just don't care, do they? Well have a very blessed day everybody. Hope everybody gets the disires of their hearts. Have a blessed day. sherry

Closed Thread