It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
(female)

Claudia08 HB User
Therapist not taking me seriously?

I have a new therapist and I don't like some things about him. although he 'seems' genuinely concerned, I don't trust him. You see, I don't work. I can't work. I've slowly dug this hole and I'm in way too deep. On top of bipolar I have panic attacks, social anxiety and I can not get organized or structured - my mind races. I haven't held down a normal job in years. I've tried and tried. So, my new therapist was filling out paperwork / questions required from the mental health place he works at. I guess he has to do it in the beginning so in a few months they can track my progress. I felt like he was answering the questions how he wanted to answer them. He says 'You do work' -- I said, 'wait, no I don't' -- he says 'you sell on bay-e' -- I said thats not holding down a job. that's like having a garage sale. do you consider having a garage sale working?' he said 'if you make a living of off it.'

Well, I don't make a living off it. I go many months without listing anything. Rarely can I get myself out of the house to go garage saling to get things to list... but he acted like he didnt believe me. I told him I'm applying for disability so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

SHOULDN'T HE, BEING MY THERAPIST, KNOW THESE THINGS ABOUT ME OR ASK, INSTEAD OF ARGUEING WITH ME THAT I AM WORKING?!

Seriously, he's really making me mad with his controlling attitude and I don't want to waste my dads money ($75/hr) on this bozo if he's hurting my case by lying!

Please, any suggestions? Get a new therapist? I haven't liked his attitude from the beginning. Is this guy just hopeless or what? Is he trying to minimize my disability. I feel really disrespected. It's like telling a cripple they aren't disabled. I was diagnosed bipolar years ago, and all these years I've had a horrible struggle, and I've been fired over and over (which is depressing and humiliating in itself) and even when I do sell something on bay-e it often takes me 2 weeks to get to the post office to mail it. I even got a negative feedback for it. My shipping time is horrible. I have a difficult time being around people. I grocery shop late at night.

was he honestly thinking I make a living selling on the internet?? Then he doesn't understand the severity of my condition. He doesn't understand it? What kind of therapist is he then??? Is he not taking me seriously? If he really knew the severity he wouldn't argue with me that I am making a living when I am not.

*he's not taking me seriously. I think that's it. I got that from him from the first visit when he said he doesn't like giving diagnosis 'bipolar' or what-not because people 'become them.'

Would you my friends, agree I need a new therapist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
(female)

bellablue2 HB User
Re: Therapist not taking me seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia08 View Post
I have a new therapist and I don't like some things about him. although he 'seems' genuinely concerned, I don't trust him. You see, I don't work. I can't work. I've slowly dug this hole and I'm in way too deep. On top of bipolar I have panic attacks, social anxiety and I can not get organized or structured - my mind races. I haven't held down a normal job in years. I've tried and tried. So, my new therapist was filling out paperwork / questions required from the mental health place he works at. I guess he has to do it in the beginning so in a few months they can track my progress. I felt like he was answering the questions how he wanted to answer them. He says 'You do work' -- I said, 'wait, no I don't' -- he says 'you sell on bay-e' -- I said thats not holding down a job. that's like having a garage sale. do you consider having a garage sale working?' he said 'if you make a living of off it.'

Well, I don't make a living off it. I go many months without listing anything. Rarely can I get myself out of the house to go garage saling to get things to list... but he acted like he didnt believe me. I told him I'm applying for disability so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

SHOULDN'T HE, BEING MY THERAPIST, KNOW THESE THINGS ABOUT ME OR ASK, INSTEAD OF ARGUEING WITH ME THAT I AM WORKING?!

Seriously, he's really making me mad with his controlling attitude and I don't want to waste my dads money ($75/hr) on this bozo if he's hurting my case by lying!

Please, any suggestions? Get a new therapist? I haven't liked his attitude from the beginning. Is this guy just hopeless or what? Is he trying to minimize my disability. I feel really disrespected. It's like telling a cripple they aren't disabled. I was diagnosed bipolar years ago, and all these years I've had a horrible struggle, and I've been fired over and over (which is depressing and humiliating in itself) and even when I do sell something on bay-e it often takes me 2 weeks to get to the post office to mail it. I even got a negative feedback for it. My shipping time is horrible. I have a difficult time being around people. I grocery shop late at night.

was he honestly thinking I make a living selling on the internet?? Then he doesn't understand the severity of my condition. He doesn't understand it? What kind of therapist is he then??? Is he not taking me seriously? If he really knew the severity he wouldn't argue with me that I am making a living when I am not.

*he's not taking me seriously. I think that's it. I got that from him from the first visit when he said he doesn't like giving diagnosis 'bipolar' or what-not because people 'become them.'

Would you my friends, agree I need a new therapist?
Hi Claudia: If you don't like him ditch him

Keep in mind that if you SSD you can work part time I think you can not make o ver $800.00 a month/

S don't worry about him messing with that. Also you can always read your file. Which is always a good idea.

Keep in touch
Jeane

Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Find a new therapist. A bad therapist is going to do nothing to help you personally or to get your disability approved.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

Claudia08 HB User

Another thing I didnt like right off, was i said i just want a normal life, and he told me to 'throw out my idea of what normal is' - my friends are all married to good husbands, beautiful kids, nice homes, job.... thats what i want. and this bozo is going to try and tell me that 'normal' doesnt exist? does he think i'm stupid? a therapist should acknowledge when someone has a problem. doesnt he sound like he's not taking my Bipolar serious? he's denying there is a problem?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

bellablue2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia08 View Post
Another thing I didnt like right off, was i said i just want a normal life, and he told me to 'throw out my idea of what normal is' - my friends are all married to good husbands, beautiful kids, nice homes, job.... thats what i want. and this bozo is going to try and tell me that 'normal' doesnt exist? does he think i'm stupid? a therapist should acknowledge when someone has a problem. doesnt he sound like he's not taking my Bipolar serious? he's denying there is a problem?
Hey Claudia: Definitly get another therapist. I have been through so many I lost count.
Keep in Touch
Jeane

Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Claudia,

Get a new doctor. You can go through many before finding one your happy with. Good Luck.

Cindy.

Closed Thread