It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

sierrabrulee HB User
Questions about SS/medi - don't know what to do now

I read some threads and thought "now these are the people to ask". I should've asked a long time ago but until recently didn't have the internet very often. I am so confused about how this is supposed to work. I keep getting one place telling me to go to another and I don't personally know anyone who knows how it works at all for anyone between the ages of 18 to 65. Needless to say, it has not gone well.

This started a few years ago... so to make a long story short - I have been denied for everything I've applied for (multiple times). According to the state, my local DFCS is where I am supposed to apply for anything not SS. So, I went and applied for every medi I was qualified for (several times) but got no response. I would show up for my appt but no one was there kind of thing. In order to find out why, I located the worker who then informed me that the applications had been tossed because I didn't qualify. I don't know why I didn't qualify aside from what she listed to me. What she listed to me was - I am not blind, over 65, under 18, and I don't have any children. I say okay and she told me that I have to go through SS and that SS submits medi applications when I apply for SS. I did that and SS told me that I do have enough credits and enough work (so I guess that's not an issue) but I don't qualify. The medi letter stated that I was denied medi because I had been denied SS. SS tells me to go to DFCS and try again there. Of course, I tried all of this (SS and medi) again and was denied again. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have a qualifing condition and I have this entire time been way under the low income line.

At this point, I am so confused, my condition has not improved and I think I have to start all over again. Plus, I've amassed huge medical debt in the meantime. I can't seem to find a PCP around here that accepts people without insurance. Since when do people not like cash? The only ones I've found are at the drugstore or the like and tell me that they don't have the kinds of resources a regular PCP would so they can't do much for me. I would just like to be able to function so I can work. I can't stand this not working thing. It's driving me nuts and I'm tired of feeling bad and not being able to get anything done. What do I do now? Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

bellablue2 HB User
Re: Questions about SS/medi - don't know what to do now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabrulee View Post
I read some threads and thought "now these are the people to ask". I should've asked a long time ago but until recently didn't have the internet very often. I am so confused about how this is supposed to work. I keep getting one place telling me to go to another and I don't personally know anyone who knows how it works at all for anyone between the ages of 18 to 65. Needless to say, it has not gone well.

This started a few years ago... so to make a long story short - I have been denied for everything I've applied for (multiple times). According to the state, my local DFCS is where I am supposed to apply for anything not SS. So, I went and applied for every medi I was qualified for (several times) but got no response. I would show up for my appt but no one was there kind of thing. In order to find out why, I located the worker who then informed me that the applications had been tossed because I didn't qualify. I don't know why I didn't qualify aside from what she listed to me. What she listed to me was - I am not blind, over 65, under 18, and I don't have any children. I say okay and she told me that I have to go through SS and that SS submits medi applications when I apply for SS. I did that and SS told me that I do have enough credits and enough work (so I guess that's not an issue) but I don't qualify. The medi letter stated that I was denied medi because I had been denied SS. SS tells me to go to DFCS and try again there. Of course, I tried all of this (SS and medi) again and was denied again. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have a qualifing condition and I have this entire time been way under the low income line.

At this point, I am so confused, my condition has not improved and I think I have to start all over again. Plus, I've amassed huge medical debt in the meantime. I can't seem to find a PCP around here that accepts people without insurance. Since when do people not like cash? The only ones I've found are at the drugstore or the like and tell me that they don't have the kinds of resources a regular PCP would so they can't do much for me. I would just like to be able to function so I can work. I can't stand this not working thing. It's driving me nuts and I'm tired of feeling bad and not being able to get anything done. What do I do now? Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts?
Hi I am confused. What is your disability? Have you applied for social security disability? Have you worked in the last ten years?

If you have enough credits which you said you did. You should call your local SS office and apply. You can do the application over the phone.

If you have applied and were denied, what was the reason. You can get a lawyer to represent and pay only if you win.

If you are really poor you can get ssi, that extra income and it is differant from SSD. Some people get both.

So let me know, sorry i am so confused.
Jeane

Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

sierrabrulee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellablue2 View Post
Hi I am confused. What is your disability? Have you applied for social security disability? Have you worked in the last ten years?

If you have enough credits which you said you did. You should call your local SS office and apply. You can do the application over the phone.

If you have applied and were denied, what was the reason. You can get a lawyer to represent and pay only if you win.

If you are really poor you can get ssi, that extra income and it is differant from SSD. Some people get both.

So let me know, sorry i am so confused.
Jeane

Hello, Jeane. Hey, I don't blame anyone the slightest bit for being confused. I'm confused.

Yeah, I applied for SSDI/SSD/SSI/and medicare/caid. I decided I would take the advice of the SS guy and apply for everything he suggested I apply for. The office is less than 10 miles from the house (especially now that I've moved) so going to the office isn't a big deal if I can swing it. I have worked every year since I turned 18. Some years more than others. In fact, I am applying for jobs right now on another tab.

As far as being poor, over the last few years I've lost more than one job from being in the ER or unconscious or something and spent a while... they tell me the 'correct' term is indigent . I lived in my car. Obviously, I don't have a good support system. Therefore, I have made less than 10,000 a year for no less than 4 years now, even working. I've had a very hard time getting a job, let alone one that pays well. I don't like to lie to people and that isn't helping me. This sucks because I used to work like 80 hours a week before the end of 2001. I really can't stand this not working thing.

The first time I filled out the medi app at DFCS I was already over 10,000 in medical debt. To my understanding, I qualified for low income regardless of the debt but they tell me otherwise. I don't get it. How much more poor do you get than to be over 15,000 in debt, lose your job and home, and live in your car? I don't know.

According to the MDs I have brain tumours. The ones they are definate about and diagnosed is Meningioma. If I got them correctly, the worst one is weirdly between the pons, basilar and midbrain somehow. I didn't know a person could get that there. (The ABTA told me I was special. I feel special.) The hospital is forever referring me to the Neurologist, Oncologist and Cardiologist(arrythmia and such), but (for whatever reason) will not give me a diagnosis for whatever is wrong with me. They refuse to diagnose my migraines but will tell me what they see while in the donut and that I have had both a hemiplegic and basilar in their presence. I don't understand. They did diagnose me with non-specific hemorrage(s). No kidding. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I bleed spontaneously for no reason from random places in or on my person?- true but LOL. They mentioned that I should get a marrow aspiration to check for leukemia but didn't explain, say or do anything else regarding the subject. All I know is that something isn't right. I am constantly in pain and it's only getting worse. For some reason, I still suspect that all these symptoms are being caused by one underlying thing.

On the paperwork I am denied because I am not disabled enough, not disabled, my disability is not on their list, or I am still able to do the work I used to do. (I don't know about that. I got lost in my own place. I have migraines, seizures, periods of time I don't remember. And I faint, bleed and throw up a lot. One day I was 50 miles away from this town in another before I realized I was at the right store in the wrong city. How would I be a lead chef in a 4 star hotel working 80 hours a week? There are days I need help to dress myself. I'm so embarrassed.) Oh, or because someone else denied me. I guess the answer is to apply again and get a lawyer.

I don't know if that answers the questions or if it's just way too much info that's not useful.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Have you contacted an attorney that handles SSDI? I would think with what you wrote here that you should at least be reconsidered. I also suggest you go to your local hospital and see if their Social Services Department has any suggestions for you plight on not having insurance, etc. Also your local Health Department sees patients based on income. They have the authority to refer you to a physician and sometimes you can get certain medications through them. It really seems you need a strong advocate. I would start with the disability attorney and see if they can re-open your original claim. I do wish you luck.

Closed Thread