It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

Zinnias HB User
Going back to work after 2-level lumbar fusion (dyn stabilization)

Hello -

I have been hurt for 5 yrs.

Going into surgery, my work restrictions were sedentary 1-4 hrs per day.

My surgery was almost 16 wks ago.

I am WAY worse than before surgery. I'm just trying to recover from the surgery, at this point.

I see the surgeon tomorrow. I am under WC, unfortunately. Again, I will be at about 16wks post-op tomorrow. Will he HAVE to return me to work (I am assuming there would be many restrictions!)? Is there a time at which patients have to be released? Like, after childbirth, a lady usually goes back after 8wks...is there a magic number like that? Or is it always different for each person? It's going to be so hard tomorrow telling him how horrible I feel - my husband says I'll insult "his work." But how is he going to help me if I don't tell him? It is horrible -- I'm having a bad time recovering. My husband thought I'd be completely back to normal by now. Where he got that idea, I do NOT know. I'm trying so hard, but I can barely walk, much less WORK! So, do you have to get released, no matter how poorly you feel???

Old 03-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
Re: Going back to work after 2-level lumbar fusion (dyn stabilization)

OH Zinnias ... hang in there. You are still recovering. I never heard of such quick recovery dates for fusioin like the ones you mentioned. I had spinal fusion (spondilothesis) and my doctor wouldn't release me back to work for 7 months after surgery. I tried to work after 5 months and the next morning my spine was frozen stiff. My hubby said no way to me returning yet. So I was off 2 more months which was a total of 7 months from my fusion. It really really made a difference. I started out slowly like 4 hour days 3 times a week that being every other day. I would rest alot in between work days. It takes awhile to get totally back to regular work shifts. BUT THAT IS NORMAL. Exactly one year from the date of my surgery my hubby took me to Las Vegas for our 20th anniversary and I cried because I was just as able as he was to walk Las Vegas all day. It was such a change from the person I was 12 months earlier. My fusion was a huge success for 6 wonderful years, then I developed inoperable spinal problems once again. If asked if I would still have had that surgery the answer is apsolutely........those 6 years were the best I ever felt. I am trying to give u hope. The main thing is not to rush your recovery it will take time. Hope your doctor insists you must have a full recovery before returning to work, it is worth it....hang in there. take-care,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

Zinnias HB User

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I didn't have a fusion in a normal way - bone isn't growing over the rods, but I still can't even stand up straight for several hours in the morning. I can swim, but walking is horrid. I'm taking 5 oxycodones a day instead of the 2 hydrocodones a day beforehand. Thank you for telling me 16 wks isn't a loooooong time. He gave me an example of a guy who was on the exercise bike at the gym 2wks post-op -- that's all I knew, -- and I am soooo slow. So thank you.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

I'm so glad you read my reply !! take it easy........take it slow.........and YOU will know when YOU are better !!........by the way, standing straight in the mornings is the hardest. I to this day wake up earlier just so I can SIT for awhile, I read the paper have tea etc......... then the stiffness leaves ......good luck to you .........the hardest part is OVER !! take -care,

Closed Thread