It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Review date?

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find that thread. I was wondering were on the Award letter do they show when or if you will be reviewed? I have read that letter over and over and can't find it and I also got my letter today explaining when I will receive my monthly check and how much and there wasn't anything on that letter either. Can someone please tell me how it was worded on your letter.

Thanks
Linda

Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Review date?

Hi Linda!
How are you doing? Are you feeling better, stronger yet?

I would like to tell you what my letter said, but...

I don't have one yet.

Sorry, I'm a little punchy tonight. I'm waiting for my pain meds to kick in. Was keeping hubby awake so I came downstairs for a while. I'm getting a bit loopy, but now I'm wide awake.

I'm glad that you DO have a letter, and I'm sure someone will post who can answer your question.

Take care,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
(female)

Madalot HB User

Hi --

My award letter did not mention a review, or at least I don't remember it saying anything. I thought that was odd.

Recently, we did some financial "adjusting" and needed to contact SSA to get written verification of my benefits. I was told by the woman at SSA that I am up for review this July (that would be 3 years from my award date). I was really surprised by that since I am disabled for a physical condition that has no cure and is medically expected to worsen. She said I probably didn't know because it was too soon for them to have sent a letter.

But I am almost positive that my award letter didn't mention anything about a review. Or if it did, it was very vague and nonspecific.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

There was no mention of a review date on my award letter either. I called SSA and asked about it and I was told that some people may never get reviewed. It just really depends on how severe your disability is and the liklihood of improvement over time. Some people are permenantly physically disabled have have no liklihood of there ever been an improvement in their disability. So for me, I don't even worry about it at all whether they do or don't because of the fact I lost all use of my left arm and only have about 30% usage of my right arm. I know that there's nothing they can do to repair the damage because I have try everything possible to restore the usage of my left arm. My left arm is permenantly locked in a position where my left hand touches my left shoulder and there's no hope of it every being normal again. So it really depends on how severe your disabilily is.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Good Morning Linda,

From what I understand, Reviews are random. But, I have also heard that if you are prenatally disabled you never have to worry about a review. I know one girl been on SSD for 6 years never had a review. I know someone else who was like you got a review 3 years from the date she was approved. I do not have my letter yet But I hope I was some help.
Emily, I hope your feeling better this morning.

Last edited by lynn31326; 04-25-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Misspelled words

Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
(female)

Madalot HB User

Hi RayeFaye --

I was thinking the same thing as you -- that it depends on the nature of the disability and likelihood of improvement.

I have Muscular Dystrophy and that just isn't going to improve. If they determined I couldn't work 3 years ago and gave me a fully favorable decision, I don't understand why they want to look at it again 3 years later. I was really surprised to be told that I was up for review in July. To me, it just doesn't make any sense.

But, so much of what happens with SSA doesn't make any sense so I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Review date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalot View Post
Hi RayeFaye --

I was thinking the same thing as you -- that it depends on the nature of the disability and likelihood of improvement.

I have Muscular Dystrophy and that just isn't going to improve. If they determined I couldn't work 3 years ago and gave me a fully favorable decision, I don't understand why they want to look at it again 3 years later. I was really surprised to be told that I was up for review in July. To me, it just doesn't make any sense.

But, so much of what happens with SSA doesn't make any sense so I shouldn't be surprised.
Hi Madalot,

Reviews are one of my favorit subjects, and I'm glad this is brought up. I've been on SSD for about 9-10 years now due to crippling rheumatoid arthrithis. The form of "reviews" I've received is the 6 question update questionairre. I've gotten 3 of those since 1998 with continued benefits. The full blown review is the type which you have to fill out 8-10 pages of questions etc., with the possibility of seeing one of their doctors, called medical review. Supposedly I'm up for a medical review in 2010?! ...This to me makes no sense because if I'm UNABLE to work for the past 10 years due to numerous bone damages, how can they expect me to improve after 10 years and sustain a full time job. RA is also a progressive disease with no cure. What a waste of taxpayers monies!!

Blessings,
Vergie

Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

deltaelise HB User

Just fill out the reviews and try not to worry. The only way they can take your disability away is if a Dr. states and proves you can work a full time job
Some are given reviews every three years and some every 7 as far as I know and some never get a review.
I just found this out recently myself.

Last edited by deltaelise; 04-25-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Hi Emily,

I am just so so from this back surgery because this week my nerve endings have really been aggravated and had to start back up on some nerve medication. I don't have all the pain I had before the surgery but then I have some new pain. My rheumatoid arthritis has been acting up but I don't see the rheumatologist until the first week in May. Still get down real bad if I try and go to Walmart and do shopping. Thanks for asking and I hope you hear something soon.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I spoke with the people at Allsup this morning and she said if it isn't notated on your letter then you won't have a review but I am not sure after reading these replies. Lynn I was wondering what you meant by this statement "I know someone else who was like you got a review 3 years from the date she was approved. " I will probably call SS at another time or ask someone else at Allsup and see if I get the same answer.

Again thanks everyone for your replies and hopefully those that have not heard from SS will hear a "Favorable decision" soon. Hopefully everyone will have beautiful weather this weekend and everyone enjoy.

Linda

Old 04-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Review date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyma3 View Post
Hi Emily,

I am just so so from this back surgery because this week my nerve endings have really been aggravated and had to start back up on some nerve medication. I don't have all the pain I had before the surgery but then I have some new pain. My rheumatoid arthritis has been acting up but I don't see the rheumatologist until the first week in May. Still get down real bad if I try and go to Walmart and do shopping. Thanks for asking and I hope you hear something soon.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I spoke with the people at Allsup this morning and she said if it isn't notated on your letter then you won't have a review but I am not sure after reading these replies. Lynn I was wondering what you meant by this statement "I know someone else who was like you got a review 3 years from the date she was approved. " I will probably call SS at another time or ask someone else at Allsup and see if I get the same answer.

Again thanks everyone for your replies and hopefully those that have not heard from SS will hear a "Favorable decision" soon. Hopefully everyone will have beautiful weather this weekend and everyone enjoy.

Linda
Hi Linda,

Everyone gets reviewed whether its a 18 months, 3 yrs. or 5-7. This is a mandatory thing. What the difference is the type of review we undergo, the short version of answering 6 questions, or the full blown one 8-10 pages of questions, and the possibility of seeing their doctors. I would call SSA and find out wht diary date your schedule is for a review.

Blessings,

Vergie

Old 04-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

My review notice was included in my acceptance letter. It's on page 3 of the three page letter and is the paragraph under the heading "Things To Remember For The Future." It states in part "...we must review all disability cases. Therefore, we will review your case in 5 to 7 years. We will send you a letter before we start the review."

I received my acceptance letter in March of 2004, so if I figure correctly, I could receive a review anytime after March 2009.

I hope this helps and sheds some light on the subject of reviews of disability benefits.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Linda,

All I was meaning that she had a review 3 years to the date that she was approved. I found it odd that they had done the same to you. Sorry if I was not clear.
Lynn

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaelise View Post
Just fill out the reviews and try not to worry. The only way they can take your disability away is if a Dr. states and proves you can work a full time job
Some are given reviews every three years and some every 7 as far as I know and some never get a review.
Yes, this is accurate. The only other way to lose benefits is if you receive a W2 with significant earnings (see the SS rules & regulations on working while on SSD). SS cross checks your social security # to your taxes for W2s....A simple, and fast audit. You WILL be caught if you have a W2.

Also, those with more "severe" cases are reviewed every 7.....Others @ 3 yrs. However, this is nothing to worry about. As Delta said, unless you have a Doc state in writing that you are capable of working and/or you show W2s, you're pretty much set up in the system until you receive regular SS.

Ex

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Lynn thanks for the clarification.

Ex there is no worry about W2 form because if I was capable of working then I would have kept my old job that I had for 20 years and loved.

Director thanks for the information and I found that section on my Award letter also but nothing stated about the time.

I do appreciate all the replies and I am just going to thank God for my "Favorable Decision" and pray for all of you that are still waiting. When the review comes I will be able to handle it.

Take care
Linda

Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

deltaelise HB User

Oh yes that is so true about the W2's.
I talked to a lady this morning who is on SSI and she was trying to work a little bit because she is a single mother of a teenage daughter and she was cleaning motel rooms. She made 20 dollars too much and they caught it and they took away her medicaid. She had to quit her little part time job and reapply for medicaid.

Closed Thread