It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

glasson92 HB User
CE exam tomorrow....this is the last thing needed

My husband has his CE for a mental status exam tomorrow. He had an appt. a few weeks ago but became paranoid and didn't show up. I spoke to his claim adjudicator today and she said that they need him to go b/c his most recent records have him being treated by a psychiatric nurse practioner and not a doctor so SSD can not go by that recent info. They need to know how he is doing now. My husband was hospitalized 4 times last year for his bipolar disorder. Finally I had convinced My husband to restart an intensive outpatient program ( which were the ones who had told us to file for disability 4 years ago) He goes 3 times a week to the place he was last hospitalized at rather than going 1x a month to the psychiatric nurse practioner ( who wasn't really helping him to begin with, when we asked her to sign paper for SSD she said that is not their policy!) They just increased his meds. My husband has bipolar, depression, paranoia, anxiety along with orthopedic injuries. He is still in denial regarding his mental health issues. He has been hospitalized several times over the past 4 years. One day is a good day, then next can be dramatically bad. I am trying to get his current records before tomorrow so that hopefully they have what social security needs. The claims rep said if I don't get them to her before their doctor gets his to her then they will go by this recent report! My question is how is the SSD doctor he sees tomorrow going to know what is going on with his mental health in just one visit? My husband has paranoia and I doubt he will be so forth coming to this doctor since he already didn't show up for this appointment once already. don't they take in account he has been hospitalized at least 2-4 times a year for the past 4 years, I know that the records they have shows how he has good and bad days so how much more do they want. She basically told me off the record that hopefully my husband has a bad day tomorrow!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: CE exam tomorrow....this is the last thing needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasson92 View Post
My husband has his CE for a mental status exam tomorrow. He had an appt. a few weeks ago but became paranoid and didn't show up. I spoke to his claim adjudicator today and she said that they need him to go b/c his most recent records have him being treated by a psychiatric nurse practioner and not a doctor so SSD can not go by that recent info. They need to know how he is doing now. My husband was hospitalized 4 times last year for his bipolar disorder. Finally I had convinced My husband to restart an intensive outpatient program ( which were the ones who had told us to file for disability 4 years ago) He goes 3 times a week to the place he was last hospitalized at rather than going 1x a month to the psychiatric nurse practioner ( who wasn't really helping him to begin with, when we asked her to sign paper for SSD she said that is not their policy!) They just increased his meds. My husband has bipolar, depression, paranoia, anxiety along with orthopedic injuries. He is still in denial regarding his mental health issues. He has been hospitalized several times over the past 4 years. One day is a good day, then next can be dramatically bad. I am trying to get his current records before tomorrow so that hopefully they have what social security needs. The claims rep said if I don't get them to her before their doctor gets his to her then they will go by this recent report! My question is how is the SSD doctor he sees tomorrow going to know what is going on with his mental health in just one visit? My husband has paranoia and I doubt he will be so forth coming to this doctor since he already didn't show up for this appointment once already. don't they take in account he has been hospitalized at least 2-4 times a year for the past 4 years, I know that the records they have shows how he has good and bad days so how much more do they want. She basically told me off the record that hopefully my husband has a bad day tomorrow!!

Hi,

I understand all your concerns!! I think the SSD doctor will ask several questions, mostly dealing with memory, and from that he'll deicfer what his mental condition is. I would insist being in the examing room with him. I insisted havingn my husband there with me when I had to undergo a CE exam for my condition. Lean on our Lord, and he'll help you!!!

Vergie...p.s. make sure you bring his meds when seeing the SSD dr.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: CE exam tomorrow....this is the last thing needed

Hello Glasson

I also had to go for a mental evaluation as I was seeing a clinical social worker and not a psychiatrist. (She did, however, fill out the paperwork for me with her evaluation). On my letter with my exam date, it said my exam would include a memory and learning test. Was anything like this included on your husband's letter?

It was during this testing that I totally fell apart. There was nothing so hard aboout the tests, but it took so long ( over 2 hours) and as I tired, my anxiety went through the roof and I couldn't even add and subtract after a while. I just sat there and cried.

In no way to wish your husband a bad day, but if the exam is of any length, his symptoms of depression and anxiety are going to go full blown. My husband was not allowed in with me and quite honestly, it was probably a better thing. Without emotional support, I fell apart pretty quickly. It actually got so bad that the doctor himself suggested a five minute break for me to go sit with my husband in the outer office and regroup.

Ultimately, I saw he recommended on my paperwork that I have intensive psychotherapy, which was already happening. I think that went a long way in my approval process in conjunction with my own orthopedic issues.

Best wishes
reach

Oh, also.... I was allowed to request a copy of the exam be sent to my family doctor. I did so because I can get a copy of it from him easily.

Last edited by reachout; 06-09-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

First, Let me thank you, for myself and your husband. I also have bipolar and I know how hard it to support, give strengh to person who sometimes does not want to help themslves. My boyfriend often tells me"you are having a bad day" or when I am manic he watches my spending, and checks on me often durning the day. I know it hard, and I know we bipolars do not make it easy, But we do know you care. Thank you.
There is no easy way to answer your question, I know that they want to see if their doctor has the same findings that your doctor has. He will ask about his daily activites, does he do any house work, yard work etc! how long is he depressed, or manic? and what he does in hypermanic mood. which he is like an in between. Do you trust him with money, all that stuff. It alot of questions, he may become angry, cuc it feels like the doctor is asking a lot of the same questions over and over. I cannot think of any more, I can tell you when I had mines my anxenity went through the roof, At one point I got up and started pacing the floor.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow, I will have you both in my thoughts and prayers
Lynn

Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Glasson

Just thinking about you and hubby today and hoping all works for the best today.

Peace
reach

Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
(female)

glasson92 HB User

Thank you for all the feedback, Hopefully my hubby won't back out! Last night he started saying things to me regarding this appt so I hope he can at least show up b/c without going he may loose by his own fault. I am going for moral support but from previous posts I see that sometimes the SSD may ask the spouse questions. He is already afraid I "just want to go to say bad things" b/c he is still in denial and believes "we" are all lying and out to get him. At least I spoke to his case worker for his outpatient program and she said she will fax his recent records to SSD today but can't release them to my husband b/c he is still undergoing treatment. So hopefully these records from his treating source will be very beneficial. It took 5 years to get him to apply! We can not afford to loose and then appeal. I see how hard it is for so many to get approved. In March the disability adjudicator said she didn't see a problem with him being approved as long as he stayed in treatment but when I told him this he upped and left and started treatment with a psychiatric nurse somewhere else, which her reports don't count with SSD. that is why he must see their doctor.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hang in there and just be honest.

One of the things my records said from the disability determination office was that I had no trouble keeping my medical appointments. Well, duh! And if I had missed them, I'm sure they would have said that I didn't keep my medical appointments, so I must not be too bad! They'll hold it against you no matter which way you go. So just be honest, be consistent, and don't give up! Play their game, and eventually you'll get there.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
(female)

glasson92 HB User

We went to my husbands CE exam, the Dr. wouldn't let me in the room but my husband said that the dr gave him 3 words to remember but he only could remember 1, he had to count forward and backwards, he asked what certain metaphors meant, etc., and then the dr asked him things like what he does all day, and why he doesn't socialize and stuff to that extent. Is this good or bad for his case??? Is it gonna be much longer since this is what SSD was waiting for? While in the waiting room I noticed that the doctor got a certificate in Disability Analyst, so is he the one making this decision? I am so confused....Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Closed Thread