It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

claire678 HB User
Hosting an event for disabled staff, need activity ideas

Hi guys,

I am hosting a huge event for 500 mild-moderately mentally disabled employees for a company and I am looking for ideas for entertainment from people who have a better idea of what my guests will enjoy! (as I don't have much experience with disabled people).

The event is outdoors and will be a celebration of their hard work for their employer. It will be a picnic setting in large gardens with a fete feel. The comany has quite a budget for the event as they are paying for everything and food will be provided, so they employees won't be paying for anything.

So does anyone who works with or has a good understanding of adults with mental disabilities have any ideas for activities, music, games, competitions or rides that they might enjoy?

I have some ideas but I'm not sure if they are all appropriate:
- face painting
- dance classes
- stage performances
- beauty/massage booths
- laughing clown (ball in mouth) game
- mini gof
- awards
- rides - super slide, jumping castle, cyclone (more scary adult ride)
- live bands
- pony rides
- celebrities
- mobile petting zoo
- and a few others

Please let me know if any of these are inappropriate or wont be enjoyable for my guests, or if you have any other ideas (or advice) because I want to make sure they all have a great time!

thanks so much,

claire

Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Hosting an event for disabled staff, need activity ideas

Claire, seems you have a great start for the activities! As a sister of a mentally challenged brother, I just want to thank you for your efforts. I know how special my brother is, so fun loving and kind and considerate of others. I know that any small gift of time or a small token brings great pleasure to him. I know you will be providing a lot of much deserved smiles to so many! Hip Hip Hooray for you!

I would like to add, that recently my brother attended a festival of sorts that had free health screenings and was discovered to have Type 2 diabetes as a result of that screening. I know that if not for that screening he could have gone for a while with no treatment. I know that individuals with limited mental capacity are not able to detect health problems as easily as others, so it might be a way to provide a valuable public service and maybe enhance the quality of one person's life. Maybe a local health agency might volunteer for BP checks, cholesterol, blood sugars, etc. My brother is now receiving treatment and doing well due to the generosity of a free health screening. Just a thought.

Last edited by goldyfm; 06-13-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: additional thought

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Goldfym, that's a great idea! Claire, I applaud you, too!

I wonder if you could make some sort of card booth where the attendees could make their own cards or dictate cards, depending on their level of ability, to give to the important people in their lives. Or maybe decorate flower pots and plant marigold seeds or flowers already in bloom to give to mom or dad or whoever. It would be a wonderful way to celebrate not only some very special employees, but also the special people in their lives, the people who are the unsung heroes for them daily.

Just my two cents worth...

Emily

Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

claire678 HB User

wow those are some really good ideas, thanks guys!

i will definately be adding those to the itinterary they will absolutely love it!

Closed Thread