It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
(male)

David0991 HB User
how to collect disability

how to collect disability

I have problems with my back there are mornings when the weather changes sudenly and i cannot even get out of bed
when this happens i take perscription pain killers how ever this affects my ability to work because i work heavy machines
and my company is getting upset with me because when this happens i cannot come to work
is there a way that i can collect disability?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: how to collect disability

Yes, depending on how bad your condition is. I would conduct some searches on this board as there is a lot of useful information. Applying for disability isn't a quick and simple process.....Here are a few general points:

(1) You almost always need a Doc to back you 100%....One that will go to bat for you and confirm that you can't work. It's best if it's the Doc giving you the pain meds. What meds does he have you on?

(2) Do you have a company or private policy through your employer? Or is Social security your only avenue? If SS is all you have, then it's almost impossible to win while you are working, for the obvious reason. If you have a policy through work, then you need to act on it before they either lay you off or fire you. It will be very difficult, if not impossible to find comparable work.

Also, once you get laid off or fired, you have no income and the wait for SS disability can be a long one....One that most cannot withstand, financially. However, if you have a policy through work (or a private policy that you purchased), it immediately pays you a good % of your income. Additionally, you can then apply for SS disability while this other policy pays you. If you have a policy via work, then you need to act quickly (assuming your Doc is on board) in order to avoid the layoff/firing. All you need is your Doc to take you out of work for some period of time (usually 1-2 months) @ first....Then, you evaluate as you go. The process begins @ that point....First short term disability, then after 6 mths, long term disability. Once your Doc take you out of work, they can't fire you or lay you off.

Your Doc can still take you out of work if you don't have work policy (or a private policy)....But, you won't get paid after you exhaust your vacation and sick leave. But, you could apply for SS disability at this point, because you're not working.

(3) Applying for SS disability can be a long road, time wise. Therefore, you must be prepared emotionally and financially. When you search this board, you will see that it's anywhere from those who apply and get rewarded in the first stage, to those who get denied and appeal, appeal, and appeal some more....Takes upwards of 2 years. It really does vary.

First and foremost, you need a good compassionate Doc who will back you. If you don't think one will @ this point, you need to either find one, or start building a case.

Hope this helps gets you started. Again, do a search of this site....LOTS of great information.

Good luck.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-20-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
(female)

chacha1 HB User
Re: how to collect disability

HI David

I had simular back problems, Best advise see a doctor have testing done, to see what is you have, if you have not done so. i suggest that you see a orthopedic doctor, get a MRI. I was still working with back pain, finally after having x-rays, MRI (L4-L5-S1 herniated disc and pinche nerve) and other tests, insurance approved my surgery in Aug 2003, so I filed for disablity. It does not hurt to apply for disablltiy, go online and the phones and call asking to send the form and information for apply. Have you informed your doctor of the work you do, and have they considered taking you off work?
get testing done to determine the cause of your problem. I had 2 herinated disc and pinched nerve, so I have a Plate and 4 screws in my back now. Good Luck--Chacha1

Closed Thread