It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
if disabled, does one qualify for medicaid?

I am so confused on all the information they give you regarding ssi, ssd, and so forth.
I can't find a simple answer to my simple question.
maybe someone here can.
I applied for medicaid after I lost my job last Oct.07.
I filed in Dec. and got accepted. I now have medical insurance which I am in dire need of being I have a mental disability and tons of physical illnesses.
I NEED to see a dr. every month. including my weekly mental health sessions and being on psychiatric med's for my bipolar.

does a person automatically qualify for medicaid if they've just become disabled?
or will they take mine away because I have monthly incoming earnings, not due to work?

I have tons of paper work that each branch is sending me and I still can't find the answer.
can you?

The Following User Says Thank You to NY 1009 For This Useful Post:
Markie Smith (03-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: if disabled, does one qualify for medicaid?

lintek45, I'm not positive? but I think if you qualified for SSI? which is based on income. then yes you qualify for medicaid? but, if you applied for and receive SSDI? which is based on your work record, it's very possible, your income from SSDI may put you over the income limit for medicaid?

someone else may be able to help you more?

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Medicaide like SSI is based on need. Some states will allow a person to get medicaide if they have a dire need for health insurance. (Not a lot of states do this) But; In most cases If your income (no matter where it comes from) exceeds the state limits to get medicaide, then you will not be able to get it.

If you approved for SSI then you get medicaide b/c it comes with SSI.

SSDI come with medicare (red white and blue card) after collecting SSDI for 24 months. In most cases when if you are only collecting ssdi you cannot get medicaide.
unless you are collecting both SSDI and SSI the you get medicaide b/c of the SSI

Lynn

Last edited by lynn31326; 06-27-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Larry and Lynn.
I feared this would happen.
I just don't get why if one is getting SSI you get medicaid, but if you're on SSD, which is disablity, you don't qualify immediatly for medical help.

they're only giving me enough money to live on for one week. how on earth will I be able to afford to see my doctors?

so THAT'S what it meant when a person told me on the phone that I'd qualify for something in two years. they meant medicare.
I thought you had to be over 60 yrs. old to qulaify for medicare?
I thought it was for retired people only.
I still don't know who said it and from what place.

what is the difference between SSI and SSD?
social security income and social security disability.
what's the difference?
thank you both for trying to help me.

Linda

Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintek45 View Post
Thank you Larry and Lynn.
I feared this would happen.
I just don't get why if one is getting SSI you get medicaid, but if you're on SSD, which is disablity, you don't qualify immediatly for medical help.

they're only giving me enough money to live on for one week. how on earth will I be able to afford to see my doctors?

so THAT'S what it meant when a person told me on the phone that I'd qualify for something in two years. they meant medicare.
I thought you had to be over 60 yrs. old to qulaify for medicare?
I thought it was for retired people only.
I still don't know who said it and from what place.

what is the difference between SSI and SSD?
social security income and social security disability.
what's the difference?
thank you both for trying to help me.

Linda
You do not have to be over 60, or retired to get medicare, Someone from SSA told you that. I am sure of that, if you are collecting SSDI after 24 months you can get medicare. Now as it is with most people I waited 4 years for my SSDI, so when I was approved in april, I am able to get medicare right away, b/c I was eligible for SSDI while I was waiting. .

Ok, SSI stands for Supplement Security Income is based on need, or in other words you can get it as long as your income (No matter where it comes from) does not exceed 637 a month, ( for NYS it is 660).

Now SSDI Stand for Social Security Disability Income, It is based on a person work record or how many credits you have. It is not a need based program Like SSI.

Also you live in NY, NY is a very progressive state, There is a few programs that will pay your Doctor bills, My sister is pending SSDI, she has her doctor bills paid, It a program that will cover you if you do not have health Ins and have med, issues. She lives in Sullivan county. But you can get it anywhere in NY. She says you have to go to the DSS office to get it. (It is not medicaide) She told me that the dept of labor told her about the program, and sent her there. She also told me that there is another program under medicaide that you will have it no matter as long as you have med. issues.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lynn,
you are a God Send!
I can't tell you how happy I am today to see your reply.
it makes sense to me because you've explained it to me in simple terms.

with my disability and all that's going on with me physically, I am having a super hard time understanding things. I feel like a child that has to pay super attention when someone is teaching them in order to understand.

so what you're telling me is that I could've recieved both, SSI, and SSD if I did not over exceed the limit by $28 dollars with my disability checks?

I had NO idea that just by being on disabilitly for 24 months that I automatically qualify for medicare. what benefits do you recieve with medicare? What's medicare for?

you said your sister went to the Dept. of Social Services to get the help and info she needed to get medical help? and it's not strictly medicaid?
what on earth can it be besides the "Hudson Health plan"? you still have to pay for hhp. I think?
can I ask you a favor? would it be possible for you to ask your sister what the name of this program is so I can do some research on it via computer.

Plus you said the Dept of Labor sent her there? is is "vesa"?

my therapist and someone else had mentioned this name to me and I never looked into it being I was approved for disability. I didn't think I"d ever be in this predicament where I needed help with medical benefits if I was recieving medicaid.
I never thought that they'd stop helping me if I got on disability, because how can a person pay for medical visits and tests and medication just by living on a minimal amount of money they send me?

I also found relief in the info your sister recieved regarding a patient able to keep getting medical assistance as long as the patient has medical issues.
which I do.
I am constantly having to follow up with my rheumatologist plus my psychiatrist, plus my therapist,plus my methadone program and my family doctor due to constant problems with my health.
having the fibromyalgia and arthritis is killing me. I have constant pain every day in a new place everyday. I could not hold a job anymore due to constant absences. I am disabled due to my bipolar disorder. I've had it ever since teenhood but didn't know it.
they didn't know much about bipolar then as much as they do now.
all I know is that my entire life is effected by bipolar and I don't know how i"m going to survive without medical benefits.
this is why I'm in a state of panic and needed help and needed information from others who may be going thru the same thing as I am.
it always pays to ask.
Ive been on medicaid since Dec. 2007 and I JUST found out last week who my case worker is. they never told me who it was and I was calling the person who only helps people who are signing up for medicaid.
he never told me this. I thought he was my case worker.
so when I called the social services last week to find out about my food stamps, they told me the man I had been calling is NOT my case worker.
so low and behold I looked at the most recent letter they sent to me regarding my food stamps and I found the correct case workers name like the woman told me it is.
see how confusing the place is? even the supervisor of the dept. there told me the place is a mess. that things fall thru the cracks so always get the name of the person you spoke with and what date it was.
It is so much work to get help and it seems like they make you work hard at it so they can tell which people really need the help truthfully because they are the ones that won't give up and just say "forget it" it's not worth it.

I wonder if it's just the county I live in which makes it just the particular social services place that is so miserable and maybe other SS places are not so bad?
I've never met such an inadequate amount of help such as the place I go to.
they lost my application for food stamps and I was waiting and waiting to hear from them, and good thing I called because that's when they said I never applied for it.
the case worker man told me to hold on and he got my folder and in it was the application with the check off mark stating i also want food stamps.
the woman who is in charge of that particular dept. said she never met with me. I know I did because I was directed to meet with four persons there.
one for your picture and finger print, and others for things i didn't know why.
so how could this person not remember me? she wrote down things I was saying on a pad.
well, I wound up yelling at this guy and hurling words of insult on the way they work there, and he then called the woman and remindered her that I was on the methadone program and that's the one thing she did remember about me. it was so darn frustrating.
then I didn't recieve any info on whether I was approved for the food stamps until one windy day when the mail came, a particular envelope that happened to be laying in the drive way which my mother in law happened to see there, picked it up and said there was mail for me.
guess what it was?
my pin number for my food stamps.
if she hadn't found that letter, how on earth would I have known I had money sitting there waiting for me to spend on food? I had five hundred dollars sitting in that account from the time I applied for food stamps till now.
they didn't even send me a letter stating how much I'd be recieving monthly. I had to call them and that's when I told them I was on disablity now and that's when all the ruckus started and now I have to recertify for food stamps. I JUST recieved the food stamps and now they might take them away too?
I feel like crying from all the frustration and here i feel like I'm an outstanding citizen that follows all the rules and laws and I"m the one that gets screwed.
Is it really worth it? but I say to myself at the same time, there is no way I could possibly work the way I was. I was going from job to job to job in a matter of 15 jobs in ten years, or is it the other way around?
I was in misery having to go thru the same thing over and over again, and having to meet new people all over again and having to go for interviews ever 3 months. the longest job I ever held was 3 years. I could NOT believe it. I was so happy thinking I'd maybe found a job that I can settle down in and work there till I retired. forget about a 401K being I can never stay long enough in a job to recieve it.
so you see? life has never been easy for me since the day I was born till now. it's just the way the cards are handed out and I try so hard not to be a bitter person thinking the world is against me.

thank you for putting up with me and my long thoughts.

Linda

Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Ok, not SSDI but only SSI. SSI is based on need. SSDI is not.

Medicare, pays doctor bills, testing all that stuff. Even meds now Thanks for PART D.

She does have Hudson health, and she does not pay for it. Now let me tell you how she done that. She went to social services, applied for medicaide of course they gave her a hard time. They told her she needed proof that she was looking for work. So she went to the dept of labor, showed them her medicial records, After that the DOL said she did not have to look for work, and told her to tell social services that. Then social services gave her the medicaide, and told her to apply for hudson health, since she was pending SSD and could not work, she does not have to pay for it. Now I just found out that it takes 60 days for it to become active. But either way she has the medicaide. She also told me untill she is approved of SSD and gets medicare she will be able to keep the medicaide as long has she has med issues.

She has been jumping trough hoops since her job fired her last year. All of this just just happened for her in the past 3-4 months. She just found a person who would listen to her. (the guy at dept of labor) after that everything fell in place.

Now, if you do not have a lawyer for your SSD there is a real good one in poughkeepsie, He will not be hard to find, he has CP, and is in a wheelchair.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I got on medicaid as soon as I could prove the I was accepted for SSDI... Which took 2 1/2 years! But not until Social Security concurred I was disabled. Didn't matter what my doctor said. In Iowa, the only other way I was getting medicaid was if I got pregnant (!)-- talk about unnecessarily adding to the problem! So I stuck it out until I was awarded SSDI.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm beginning to see from both of your replies that if medicaid stops paying for my medical visits and bills and medications, then at least I'll have medicare in two years to help pay for it all.
meanwhile, I can't wait two years for that.

I hope that medicaid automatically continues to cover my medical expenses because I"m now disabled and wasnt' when I applied for it and got accepted.

If a person makes too much money and doesnt' have a health plan by their employer, they used to have to pay for the hudson plan because it's the cheapest plan here. But if they're on medicaid, they automatically are approved for it because when you're approved for medicaide, they now made it mandatory that you have to chose a 2nd medical insurance coverage.
it's not just plain medicaid but it's what ever you chose to be your health plan.
for instance, your sisters would be, hudson plan with medicaid. and you have to always tell the dr's office this when you call to make an apptn.

if my husband wanted to join the hudson health plan without being on medicaid, it would be a separate plan. he would only have to say he has the hudson health plan.

with my HIP insurance as secondary with medicaid, I was told I am not supposed to say I have just HIP. I have to say, I have hip medicaid.
most places do NOT participate with a plan that has medicaid with it.

it's so difficult to find dr's who really care about the patient and not just the money they want. they took an oath when they became doctors that if a patient is ill and has no money, that they wouldn't let this get in the way of the dr. treating them.

I had one dr do this for me. he only charged me $20 dollars for a visit after I had to go to the er room for a possible kidney stone that passed. plus my right kidney was enlarged and the tube that runs from the kidney to the bladder.
I had no insurance and no money to do a follow up apptn like i was suggested to do the next day after my er visit.
I was crying because I had no help.
so I called an old dr. I had once done buisness with and low and behold I explained the situation to the secretary and she shared this with the dr. and like I said, he only charged me $20.
But he couldnt' send me for any diagnostic tests because of lack of money. he only talked with me and went over the possibilty that I wouldn' have to do a follow up diagnostically.

I till this day do NOT know if my kidney and router tube is still enlarged.
I'm not having all the subtle sypmtoms i was having before the possible stone passed. the mri wasn't sure if I had passed a stone or not. they're assuming it happened.

as you can see, I have multiple things that are going on in my body.
I feel like a hypochondriac and am embarrassed to pursue this kidney problem way after it happened a year ago. Now that I have medical coverage I don't know whether to go and see a kidney dr.?

such dilema I have, huh? ( LOL)

thanks again for you support and answers to my question.

sincerely,

Linda

Old 07-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

My "second insurance" is now Medicaid since I get Medicare with my SSDI...

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Linda I know you said what county you lived in but I forgot. But I can assure if you can get to middletown NY, Mostly all if not all the doctors will see you with HIP/Caide. My sister still sees the same doctors that she was seeing before she was fired from her job. All of her doctors are in middletown/goshen area.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
(female)

lynn31326 HB User

Also depending on how long it took you to be approve for SSDI, I waited 4 years for my SSDI, By the time I was approved I had already pass the 24 wait for medicare. So if you waited 18 months for SSDI then in six months you will be able to get medicare.

Closed Thread