It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

badbackpain HB User
Talking second alj hearing on June 30th

I was wondering if anyone has had a second alj hearing? I actually had my first hearing last summer may 2007 and was unrepresented. I had just moved to Arizona and it took them no time to get me in for a court date. The day I got the letter of my court date I started calling and no attorney's could take me in such short notice, they told me to ask for a continuance. I did have an advocate previsously helping me in the state I lived before. I asked for a continuance and it was denied they told me to be there on that date with what medical information I had . I showed up the hearing lasted about 30 min. The judge was totally focused on the fact that I take Methadone and asked if it was for drug rehad which I have never taken an illegal drug in my life. I told him it was for chronic pain. I knew when I left that the hearing didn't go well but I waited the 90 days because I knew I had a ton of medical information on my side. The 90 days came and I got the letter and was denied. I immediately started writing my own appeal which i did to the appeals council in west virginia and i waited and finally got a letter back and they said that they had found reason to remand another hearing. The judge had based his decision on my 1st back surgery instead of the latest which was 3 more after the 1st and was a fusion that had failed horribly. I then got an attorney right away for the rest of this case because I dont' want to blow it. I am nervous because I have to go in front of the same judge again that is standard when you appeal and win you go in front of the same judge. I am only 36 years old but I take 14 prescriptions per day and am bascially drugged out all day. I have three children who only remember mom being sick. I can't drive a car because the surgery damaged my leg and i lose feelings. I use a walker full time and wear a back brace full time. I have went though injections of epidurals, nerve root injections and 4 surgeries. I can't take this anymore and hope that with the help of the attorney I have that I will win. The attorney I have is the person who actually writes the disability secrets website. I didn't know that when I hired him but found out afterwords and it was his information that helped me win my own written appeal. Has anyone had a second hearing and if so how long did you wait for an answer on your case? Was it something that was fast or did it take the full 90 days again? Was the judge mean because you had "pulled one over on him" and did you win the second time around? Please answer i am looking for all the infor I can get, I hope everyone with pain sleeps a little easier tonight!!!!

thank you
Randi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

robink1954 HB User
Re: second alj hearing on June 30th

Hi,

Yes, I had a second hearing that was granted by the appeals council. However, I did not have the same judge because I had moved, but I probably would have been better off if I had. I don't think any judge wants to have his hearing remanded twice.

Anyway I lost the second hearing too. Now I am writing another appeal to the Appeals Council.

Sounds like you are in good hands. I think my mistake on the second one was that I did not want to get a continuance on my hearing date. I hired a lawyer that would take my case, but he turned out to be awful. I even filed a complaint against him with the bar association.

My entire case wasn't even presented and that's why I lost.
I think you will be okay.
Good Luck

Robin

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
(female)

pulskaki HB User
Question Re: second alj hearing on June 30th

I RECIEVED A letter saying that I meet the requirements for medical Disability and that the second part will be the non medical and I should be recieving a decision on that shortly. my question is did anyone else out there get anything like this???

Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

badbackpain HB User
Cool Re: second alj hearing on June 30th

I have never heard of anything like that and I am not sure what the difference is between non medical and medical information.

I would think if you are approved for medical reasons what other "non medical" things would there be to disqualify you.

I am curious on this one as well....

I hope that everything goes your way. I am just waiting for them to figure out my back pay and get the check. The judge agreed in my favor or the 30th of July but then he wanted my attorney to write up the agreement so that the judge didn't have to because he said he was already 90 days behind and that if my attorney didn't write up the decision then the judge would do it and it would take 90 days for him to do that. My attorney agreed to write it up then he sends it to the judge and the judge signs it.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Pulaski you can go to the Social Security site and find out what "non-medical" means. When I received my approval letter it also stated the same thing as yours did but you can probably understand it better by going to their site. Congratulations on your approval.

Linda

Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

apostman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulskaki View Post
I RECIEVED A letter saying that I meet the requirements for medical Disability and that the second part will be the non medical and I should be recieving a decision on that shortly. my question is did anyone else out there get anything like this???
I recieved the same, NON-MED. From what I gleened was it was about the award, and the fact I was denied REHAB. I will look it up.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Pulaski some examples of non-medical could be proof of age, employment,marital status and Social Security coverage information. I can't remember everything that I found but I also believe that it is done by the local SS office. I was still confused even when I went to their site but I hope this helps a little.

Linda

Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Linda is correct, they need to verify your work history, age, marital etc. It usually does not take long to verify that information. They need some of that information to determine the amount you qualify for or if you qualify for SSI or SSDI.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
(female)

pulskaki HB User

Thank-you so much for all your insite on this.... it is not hard to confuss me and this does it very much!!! What is the difference between SSI and SSD? I am going to check out the site
thanks again
Kimmie-Kat

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
(female)

koldayjoshay HB User

SSDI is money you paid in if you worked
SSI is like social security welfare

Closed Thread