It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

heidis_world HB User
Can you attend school while on disability?

Can the disabled person go to college while collecting disability? If you have info, please post a link. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
(female)

crystalk13 HB User
Re: Can you attend school while on disability?

Yes you can. I went to college and collected ssdi while I attended. Then afterwards I was still unable to work so I still collect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

not only can you attend school you can get it paid for! If you are on SSD contact your local beuaru (sp) of Vocational Rehabilitation and check into their services that they offer, you may qualify for a full time college grant

Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

kissa, you seem to know alot about this. I am wondering if you know what courses you would take to become an advocate and or how this is paid to one? I would love to be an advocate for families for support ect. but don't know where to start? I already got excepted at the college but don't know what you would have to take. I know i am not able to stand a long time so i am hopeing maybe i can find something to do part time and maybe out of my home?
Love, Monkey

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

The Social Security Administration has many programs to get people back to work, retraining and more. The goal is to get individuals functional as possible if possible.

The reason they offer education is because the previous job you may of had you are no longer qualified for due to disabilities, there are many other reasons as well.

The programs is run by each state and the place to contact is generally called Office of Vocational Rehabilitation or Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. To determine what "classes" to take you actually take a battery of tests that generally happens over a series of several days. They take your interest into account and help you decide on a career and have at hand the resources that it takes to do this. Now granted they won't pay for an 8 year degree but they will pay for a 2 year and potentially 4 year. They also pay for technical or trade schools.

Again, the bottom line is getting people to work and it also works in conjunction to the Ticket to Work program.

I know about this program because I started it many years ago. unfortunately I got pulled from the program because my brother had been murdered during that time. The BVS and the college felt that I was not emotionally ready to handle going to college full time. In the long run it was for the best.

I was to go back again just a few years ago but a medical emergency occured and it didn't happen. Perhaps one day.

You can find out more information on the Social Security website or by phoning them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kissa For This Useful Post:
keli449 (07-26-2011)
Closed Thread