It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
Question SSDI or SSI

Hello, I was wanting to know which is quicker to get, SSDI or SSI ? I have been out of work since 2005. I have a Arachnoid Cyst on my spine. I applied for both this past march 12th 2008.
I know my uncle applied awhile back and they didn't send him a letter or anthing in the mail saying he was approved, he got a check in the mail for SSI.
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

janielou75 HB Userjanielou75 HB User
Re: SSDI or SSI

It took a little over two years of hard times to get my ssi
It is the same process to get ssdi as it is to get ssi
Some get it faster than others, it varies so much no one can really tell someone how long it will take

P.S. I was approved in June and still have not received any benefits.

Last edited by janielou75; 07-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

Can i ask you Jani what is your disability and your age please ? I am desperate..
Karen

Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

I have severe Degenerative disc disease in my cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine
Osteoarthritis
Fibromyalgia
Torn ligaments in my knees
TMJ
IBS
Major Depressive Disorder
Agoraphobia
Panic disorder
Anxiety disorder
Personality disorder
OCD
and there are other things wrong with my spine and I was bitten by a brown recluse spider that caused me to never get over that and I have been in several accidents plus I had lyme disease that left me in pretty bad shape.
My arthritis is starting to deform my hands pretty bad which embarrasses me.
I am 55

Last edited by janielou75; 07-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

I am so sorry to hear you have so much bothering you. I have a cyst on my thoracic spine,depression,Carpel Tunnel in both wrists.I take about 7 different medicines every day.
I know thats nothing near what you have. But i need surgery soooo bad and i can't have it because of no darn health insurance.
I called the 800 number today and she was a very nice lady and said that the doctors are reviewing my medicial records and she said i might hear something by end of next month. ARG !!
Well i am going to take a long hot shower, i will be back soon to read somemore advise.
Thanks so much ~~ Karen

Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks hon,
I wish I didn't have so much wrong with me either. The day I had to resign from my volunteer kennel director job because I couldn't do all the manual labor anymore was the saddest day of my life and then my health got worse after that.
I worked for the animals from 2000 until 2005 because my mental issues didn't allow me to be around people too much and I was taken off of work then. I miss the dogs so much
I forgot to add that I also have HBP that I have to take medicine for every eight hours which is a complete bummer.
I don't smoke or drink or anything to make it bad it just runs in my family.

I sure hope your cyst doesn't hurt too much and that your claims can be processed as fast as possible so you can get the help you need.
I think I have read here that you can get your ssi going before your ssd so maybe that will come soon and you can be on medicaid then.
I don't know if they have put me on it yet or not, I guess I better get to the DHS to find out.
I have been going to a free clinic for the last two years and going to churches for food handouts.
It was quite an embarrassing experience.
I watered down the milk as much as I could without my husband knowing and had to use shampoo to wash my clothes and many other things that people had no idea.
When my great grandson was born, I couldn't even afford a card but I got one today and sent it
Be sure to keep all your records and mri's and x rays etc.
I worked hard to keep all of mine together and make sure the right people had them.
I am so grateful for all the people who did my records so good and the free clinic was so good.
Do you get food stamps ?
Have you gone to the DHS to see about getting them ?
Check out all the possibilities and I bet you can get throught the waiting like most of us have to do.

Last edited by janielou75; 07-29-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

I live with my father for right now and i get foodstamps, so that does help some. I have no other income coming in. He lives off his Social Security. So we have it rough too.I have been to churches and etc to get food before i got the foodstamps. It didn't bother me because i knew i needed to eat. You would be surprised to see the people that get foodstamps and the cars they drive. It just makes my blood boil.
My Arachnoid Cyst hurts all day long. Sometimes it hurts so bad. I go to a free clinic for the doctor visits and free meds. So i am thankful for that.
I also am on high blood pressure meds too.
Karen

Closed Thread