It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
Question Can you recieve 2 checks ?

Hello, I am asking this because i know of someone that recieved this in the mail.He is 62 and recieved 2 checks in the mail today. One from SSI and one from Retirement. This man has only worked under the table since he has been working ? Plus he recieved a medicaid card as well.
How can someone get all these benefits and i need back surgery and have not been able to work in 3 long years ?
Thanks so much.. Karen

Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Can you recieve 2 checks ?

By being dishonest. And that's why it's so hard for the rest of us!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

Stella052 HB User

I really don't see a problem with an individual receiving two checks. The person is 62, so he qualifies for SSA retirement benefits. Since he may have worked under the table, he most likely didn't pay much into the SSA retirement system, therefore, his retirement check is not that much, therefore, qualifying for SSI benefits. If he's ill, he qualifies for Medicaid because of his income. Once he turns 65, he'll qualify for Medicare.

Have you submitted an application to Medicaid since you haven't been able to work in three years? Is there a charity hospital in your area that you could have the back surgery?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

janielou75 HB Userjanielou75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella052 View Post
I really don't see a problem with an individual receiving two checks. The person is 62, so he qualifies for SSA retirement benefits. Since he may have worked under the table, he most likely didn't pay much into the SSA retirement system, therefore, his retirement check is not that much, therefore, qualifying for SSI benefits. If he's ill, he qualifies for Medicaid because of his income. Once he turns 65, he'll qualify for Medicare.
That's right

Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Maybe I've misunderstood, but if he's working under the table, then he's not paying into the system. The system doesn't know he's making money, so they've qualified him to receive benefits that he wouldn't qualify for if they knew what he was making under the table. If that's the case, he's being dishonest and the rest of us are paying for him. SSI is for people who are not able to make enough to live on, not people who hide what they're making! And I do have a problem with that!

Am I missing something?

Emily

Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

Stella052 HB User

In order for an individual to quality for SSA retirement benefits, deductions ($) must have been paid into the system at some point in time. Individuals that have never paid into the SSA retirement, such as those that "always worked under the table", will not qualify to receive SSA retirement benefits. If nothing is paid into SSA retirement, nothing is paid out. Also, the amount an individual receives at retirement age, is based on age and amount of income reported to SSA over the years. If an individual earns $100,000 per year and pays into SSA retirement based on that amount, that individual's retirement will be much more than say an person that earned $25,000 per year. The more a person puts in SSA retirement, the more a person will receive at retirement.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
Angry Re: Can you recieve 2 checks ?

Hello, I have tried to apply for Medicaid but they tell me i would have to be blind,totally disabled,65 or over.
The checks he gets totals 750.00 a month. Thats with 2 checks.
It just makes me so mad about all of this.. I worked since i was 14 years old, Now 45. I have not been able to work for 3 years now, due to i have a Arachnoid Cyst on my spine. I applied for SSI and SSDI.
They are going over my medicial files with the doctors to see if i am qualified.
Its been since March. So i should hear something soon.
I really need to have back surgery soon to remove the cyst because of pain is just about unbearable.
Some people have it mad and don't know it. They get benefits from the government and go drinking till its all gone. Thats a shame !!!
Karen

Closed Thread