It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
Question Do they have to take the $100.00 out of my check ??

Hello friends.... Just a quick but very important question... I have been receiving my monthly SS check since Nov ( I am still so gratefull for my approval ). This week I received a letter from SS stating they will starting next month begin taking $100.00 out per month for medicare. I know this is very important to most however I have insurance through my hubbies job and also pay monthly amounts to his job for this family insurance... so I am paying for insurance through his job now and I will be paying for insurance through SS. We totally CAN NOT afford to have this $100.00 deductioin to my SS. Do I really need double insurance and the big question is do I HAVE TO have this amount deducted from my check ?? I understand many many people need this insurance. I am so thankful to receive my monthly SS check. We were and are in dire need of this income and I am still very thankful ,however I truely don't need medicare. Does anyone know if I MUST have this insurance .......your quick reply will be gratefully appreciated !! take - care,

Old 08-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: Do they have to take the $100.00 out of my check ??

I'm doing some guesswork on this, but when you are covered by Medicare, regular insurance companies don't want to be primary anymore, they want Medicare to pay first, then they pay secondary. Your current insurance company probably has specific rules about what happens once you qualify for Medicare. I'd suggest you check with the HR department to see what your options are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
(female)

thanks roses4lace for your quick reply. hmm so not looking good for me then. I was going to go to my SS office this Monday but after reading your response it sounds like I should call my husband's insurance company first. I was hoping I just wouldn't have to except medicare and not have to pay the $100.00 but going by your reply sounds like I might have to. Kinda isn't fair to us then. It's as if my hubby is taking a pay cut of $100.00 then because we are having to pay for something we already had...it's like we are going to lose the ablility to pay one of our bills again (ugh)

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
(female)

Stella052 HB User

Once an individual qualifies for Medicare, any private insurance will become secondary. This even applies to individuals that are still working for a company and not receiving SSA retirement benefits. You have no choice.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

Stella052 HB User

Perhaps there will be a reduction in your husband's family plan health insurance premium that will make up for the $100.00 once you are covered on Medicare. Usually health insurance companies bill for employee benefits only: or employee and spouse; or employee, spouse and child(ren);employee and child(ren). Check with his Human Resourses Department of his employer.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Queenneeee, don't look at is as a "have to" just yet. I'm also vaguely remembering something about not being penalized for taking Medicare "too late", as long as you can prove you had equivalent or better insurance. Apparently, if you don't sign up immediately, there is a penalty for each month you wait. UNLESS you have active insurance from your work or a spouse's work that meets certain standards. But if you lose the insurance, there is a limited amount of time you must sign up for Medicare before incurring a penalty. I don't really know any details, just remember bits and pieces. Hubby's HR department and Social Security should know all about this.

I took Medicare and chose to put my employers retirement insurance "on hold". For some weird reason, my former employer sends me about $30 per month to help pay for my part B, but no one mentioned it. When I got the first check, I had to call to find out why it came.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Queenneee, I was under my husband's insurance plan when I was approved for Medicare but I dropped the Medicare Part B. I am still covered under Part A the hospital insurance and it is considered my secondary insurance. I am still covered by my husband's insurance and it is still considered as my primary insurance provider. It took me over 2 yrs to get my disability and medicare and I was covered under my husband's insurance the whole time. Once I received my disability and found out how much Medicare Part B was, I called Medicare up and had it cancelled. It was no problem since I was already covered under his insurance. Then when it came time for his annual renewal, I listed that I was covered by Part A and my coverage continue. They have it listed as them being the Primary carrier and Medicare Part A is secondary. I guess it would depend upon if your husband's insurance company will still carry you. My husband has insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield. I never even contacted them, all I did was call Medicare and have the Part B dropped.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the last two posters are right. it should actually state somewhere in that letter about 'if you have ins that is better than medicare you don't have to go that route" kind of thing? this is what i got and my son too. a letter saying they were going to just dive in and start taking out money. there should be something with this to actually sign or send back stating if you don;t want it do this type of thing too? as long as you have either comparable or better ins at the time they send this out,you can opt out of this and they wont be taking out anything at all. AND you wont be penalized and unable to obtain this later if you should need it if you deny it becasue you ARE on another ins plan. you keep the part A which is free,but give up the part B. just let them know you don;t want it,there should be something that you have to send back if you are denying it. your part A IS your secondary provider,and will only come into play if you are IN an actual hospital. they will pick up what your regular ins doesn't cover pretty much. just make certain to let them know before they start taking out money. marcia

Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

You are not required to take part B at all and should have been asked if you wanted it or not. Did they ask you?
For each year you do not take part B your premium does increase.

Part A is free to everyone who has been on disability for at least 2 years.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I saw on the SSA.gov website that if you cannot afford the Medicare premium, that some states will pick up the costs of Medicare premiums. I don't remember the specifics but you could do a search to find the info. I have excellent healthcare coverage as well and I will not be taking the Part B (if approved) at this time. I know the additional premium would tax my budget. I am waiting on an ALJ decision and hope it won't be long now.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

When I had been on SSD for two years, they sent me my Medicare card for Parts A & B. I had better coverage through my wife's employer, so I sent the card back and told them I didn't want Part B (medical), just Part A. Like others have said, if you have as good or better coverage through your spouse's employer, you are not penalized the 10% a year they add to your premium when you do go on Medicare, Part B.

My wife just retired, and I applied for my Medicare two months ago, as I wasn't able to keep her Blue Cross through her work. My card for Parts A & B just came in the mail today and it took almost two months to get it. I was not penalized in my premiums and Medicare is my primary insurance and I have United Health Care through my wife's employer, for secondary and prescription coverage.

Just send the card back and tell them you only want Part A which is free.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
(female)

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES ... I apsolutely hate calling SS. However after reading all your replies I called yesterday. The gentleman was very nice. He said he will send me a letter which I must state "I wish to disinroll in part B because at this time I am covered through my spouse." He also stated that if at any time if my husband no longer has our coverage I can call or write to tell him I would then need their coverage. I will not be penalized as long as I do it at the exact time we lose his coverage(God forbid). He also told me my Sept check will have the $100.00 deductioin but my Oct. check will make up for that amount......whew I as so releived because at this time we can apsolutely not afford to lose that $100.00 per month, we are STILL trying to get back on our feet from the last couple of years with me not working.... my thoughts on the whole matter really does upset me though. I can not imagined if I wasn't married and didn't have my hubbies income and insurance. If I lived alone and had to survive only on my own SS check which would have to have the insurance deducted monthly, I would be well below poverty level. My heart goes out to all that have pain/medical problems and can no longer work and live alone. It just doesn't seem fair that we work our entire lives than by no act of ours our unable to work again........we than get very low SS checks that have to have deductions to pay for our meds and hospital bills....I am stil very gratefull to have been approved semi quickly for my SS , without it we would be sinking fast but to have it than have to actually PAY for insurance is truely a slap in the face I feel. take - care ......just curious.......for those of you who live alone......exactly how much per month is deducted from your check for doctor, hosp, and perscripion coverage......it just so upsets me ..

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #13
(female)

Exclamation Re: Do they have to take the $100.00 out of my check ??

oops forgot to add this.........I now must call Medicare because the gentleman from SS didn't have the answer.......maybe my friends here can help me.. let's say I am admitted to the hospital, "do I list my hubbies insurance or medicare as my primary insurance" .. it's just something I may need to know and the gentleman from SS didn't have the answer.... thanks in advance for any advice........take - care,

Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
(female)

auntduci37 HB User

my friend has to list her hubbies ins first, then her medicare picks up the rest.
atleast thats how she explained it to me.
good luck

Closed Thread