It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
(female)

flames6767 HB User
Question Help with disability attorney's

I am starting the process of applying for Social Security Disability for the first time. I live in Arizona and have found 4 SSD attorneys in the Phx. area (about a 2 hour drive). I recently heard about another SSD service on a Fibromyalgia site called:

SSDC Disability Services out of Novi, Michigan.

I contacted them and they sent me a lot of paperwork but the girl I talked to didn't instill me with a lot of confidence. She was the one that would be my "advisor" and they would send an attorney from Michigan to go with me when my case is being heard. I asked what their success rate on winning cases was and she said 95%. I kinda find that hard to believe.

My question is has anyone ever worked with SSDC Disability Svcs. or a similar service and were you pleased? Or should I hire an attorney in the Phx. area? Since I know nothing about any of them I'm in a quandry. Any suggestions you have would be most appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: Help with disability attorney's

I personally would be very hesitant to hire someone to represent me without speaking with a lawyer. An advisor that is not a lawyer, yet will be representing you is not the same. I have a lawyer, but I have heard of Allsup that seems to have helped a lot of people. I kind of wish I had gone with them myself now.
Mim Gregg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

If you're going to hire a lawyer, make sure it's a disability lawyer. Some of the firms were started by ex-SS staff members, and even Judges. Obviously, they know the system...And the people.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

I used Allsup who was recommended to me by my Long Term Disability insurance, Prudential. They would call me and initally we would be on the phone for over an hour or more. They helped me win the case and they received the same amount of money that a lawyer would receive. I did not have to pay them but Prudential did. They were always very professional and considerate to my needs.

Linda

Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I used a disability attorney in my area, and am glad I did. He only handles SS disability cases and has people on his staff who used to work for SSA. His win rate is high, primarily because he won't take cases that don't look good. Staff members worked with me to make sure I had all the right records. On my first trip with my son, I took his entire medical file and school file with us and let them pick through and find what they thought would be useful.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
(female)

ADDrienne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses4lace View Post
I used a disability attorney in my area, and am glad I did. He only handles SS disability cases and has people on his staff who used to work for SSA. His win rate is high, primarily because he won't take cases that don't look good. Staff members worked with me to make sure I had all the right records. On my first trip with my son, I took his entire medical file and school file with us and let them pick through and find what they thought would be useful.
You said it best.

Closed Thread