It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
SSI queastion

My son who is now 22 has Paranoid Schizophrenia. He has never worked due to this and was not even able to go beyond 7th grade in school. He is married with a 1 year old daughter. He is only eligible for S.S.I. as he has not worked. Denied the first time and in the process of trying again. Some one told me that S.S.I. payments are determined by the family income. My daughter in law works and I was told if she makes too much they would not give him S.S.I. due to his wifes income. Does anyone know if this is true? She at this time only works part time CNA.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: SSI queastion

my husband was denied ssi because of my income.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
(female)

koldayjoshay HB User

yes this is true. SSI is like social security WELFARE. They go by the household income.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

SSI is for those who do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI. SSDI is a much higher rate because it is based solely on the amount you paid into Social Security while working. The only disability that I am aware of that is not dependant on work credits is being legally blind.

SSI takes into consideration many assets and total household income (cash, land, house (ones you dont live in, like rental property I think), life insurance, personal property of some value etc etc.). If you exceed that limit you do not qualify. There are ways of reducing your household amount as per social security such as taking into consideration cost of medications etc.

His wife's part time job may very well put them over the limit of eligibility. Hours do not mean anything, it's the amount of money earned before taxes.

Individuals on SSDi who have children under the age of 19 and still in school get an extra 50% benefit per month wether you have 1 child or 50, those on SSI do not recieve any compensation. There is an additional benefit for the spouses of those on SSDI who have children under the age of 16 I think it is and the spouse must take full care of the children based on the disabled spouse's inability to care for them. There are some rules garnering that. I didn't recieve it, in fact I wasn't aware of it until one day I was researching something else.

The SS website clearly explains the difference. It is like a Welfare system yes, but they do this for those who simply have not made enough work credits. It is financed through general revenues. Some states give additional money to those on SSI. The current amount of monthly benefits is like $637 maxium from SS but some states also give an extra amount, depends where he lives.

Either way tell him not to give up.
Good luck

Closed Thread