It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

lindasj HB User
Question Does anybody work on SSDI

I'm tired of sitting around and I need some extra money. I collect a disability pension from federal employment plus I get SSDI, I have some chronic physical issues I need to get under control so I really can't commit to a full time job with doc appts. The main reason I was eligible for SSDI is my Bipolar disorder. I'm also visually impaired but can still drive during the day. I got access card to ride the handicapped bus, I don't use it often. I was accommodated at my work with large screen monitor for vision. I also have a lot of student loan debt that will be forgiven after 3 years disability, that will be 010810, for that you can't make over poverty level for 2 during that period. That's a brief history of what is going on. I was wondering how much you can earn and not lose SSDI benefits. I looked on line at SSA and it is clear as mud. The ticket to work looks like a ticket to get screwed. The cost of everything is eating me up along with everybody else. I got an appt tomorrow with a case manager from mental health services maybe she knows. Loosing SSDI benefits sees risky when I see how much trouble some people are having getting them and they are worse off than me I'd appreciate any input.
Linda

Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

auntduci37 HB User
Re: Does anybody work on SSDI

i think you can earn up to 900(i think) a month with out losing benefits, this is of course before taxes are taken out.
you have to inform them that your gonna try to work.
i too am on disability for bipolar, and well ive been wanting to work for finance reasons.
but i dont know what to do .
if you get any more info post it, i can use it.
good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

I also need to work but i am waiting on my SSDI and i don't want to mess that up in any way. I hurt so bad i would not be able to hold down a job at all. Plus i think that would damage my SSDI.
Karen

Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

lindasj HB User

Well I used to talk to guy at the laundry mat, he was on SSDI for a mental problem and worked for the schools as a janitor at that time he said he made something like 750 per month. So I know it can be done.He lived across the street and every time he saw my car he would come over. He started hitting on me so I bought a washer and dryer: I never did get all the details.

Linda

Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

auntduci37 HB User

Only thing i can say is call...

its alot easier having someone talk you thru it then reading(the ss site)
i have known people that are disabled and work, so yes it can be done.

i do know you can make more then the allowed amount if you pay for medical stuff, you would then subtract it.
like it you made 1400. a month and scripts cost 500. then you would be in the clear.
im sure theres someone onherer that knows.
i visit other sites ill try to find something helpful to post..

Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
(female)

lindasj HB User

Well, I'm sitting hear waiting on getting a case manager from the mental health services. They assigned me one but it was the wrong area of town, now I'm waiting reassignment, they said a couple of days and that was last Monday, I'll call tommorrow but she probably won't be in again. I went to my psychiatrist yesterday and she said she has patients working and collecting SSDI, but it is better to work with the county mental health board on my issues , she does is medication management. I pay her a copay of 30 but everything else through the county services is free.waiting, waiting, waiting. I might as well wait it out, I have to get 3 euflexxa shots in my knee next month. I hope those REVISED don't hurt.

Last edited by Mod08; 08-24-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Please use appropriate language.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
(female)

daph10 HB User

Just read your note and wanted to tell you I just got done recieivng 3 shots in both legs of Euflexa. Last of shots was done on July9th. One leg feels better and the other is giving me problems still. Hope all goes well with your shots. Diane

Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
(female)

lindasj HB User

Thanks, for the wishes. I usually am lucky and always have good responses to medical therapies. Examples i had a bleeder in my eye, the doc said it might take 3 or treatments to clear up but it only took 1, I Corpulmonale from sleep Apnea used the BiPap machine it totally reversed the Cor Pulmonale. I hope my luck holds out I don't think my legs are as bad as the doc says, he bent them this way and that and they didn't hurt. The don't hurt at all unless I got all my weight on them and that is usually after 30 minutes or so, I'm about 110 lbs overweight. I do ok on vicidin and can walk around smaller stores, I have to use the crip cart in superstores, I hate that because the basket don't hold much and I feel like people look at me and think it's because I'm fat and lazy.
I get to use a free gym through the mental health place, My case worker called and I got to go see her wed at 4, I can't wait to start a plan on rebuilding my life, I need to make friends. I don't have any and all my family has died.My kid's don't live around me. Actually the few friends I did have died and I mostly had work friends they called for awhile but it gradually tapered off after I retired now I haven't heard from anybody for about a year. I can't wait to get a job, I know it will probably be spring before I get it together I got enough busy work till then. Like I said I can't make to much or the student loans will come back on me. You can't make over poverty level for 2 but the SGA amounts are 940 for this year.

Last edited by lindasj; 08-29-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: additional info

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
(male)

cspmsp HB User

In short YES you can work if you are on SSI or SSDI. The amount for this year is 940 per month after you have used all of your Trail Work Period month up- which amount to 9 months. You really need to speak with some who does benifet analysis so you can find out if over things like SSI or food stamps, health insurance, housing stuff will be affected if you work. Plus if you start work you will be subject to a Medical Review of your case. This does not mean that you will be kicked off of SSA, but it will be questioned. Some people who have IRWEE can make more than 940.00 if they document these expenses and it is approved by SSA. I would not suggest people who are trying to get on benefit to start working if they still want to collect. It just does not look good for your case. There are lots of resources available to people with disabilities you just have to look for them. I would call your state Disability Advocate and start their. Ask for a referall to get a benefit analsis done for you. There are benefit to working while disabled- in most states you will qualify for Medical Assistant for disabled people who work. The other thing is that you will benefit finacially as well. There are lots of things to consider when going back to work. One of the problems with those of us on disability is that we get social isolated. this is why work is so important if you can do it.

Closed Thread