It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
(male)

larbec7 HB User
Pre existing Condition or not

I took out a mortgage protection policy last year in December and in April of 2008 my doctor took me out of work. I files for my mortgage insurance and they are telling me they are not going to pay because it is pre existing. Anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do. Here is the story:

I have been going to a pain management doctor for 3 years and have been on Hydrocodone and soma for my beck pain. I started working back out in the gym around February 2008 and I injured my arm. When I went to see my doctor he put me on OxyIR and increased my dosage. I struggled with the pain and medicine and then he sent me to a neuro guy who determined that i had permanent nerve damage and did not need to work especially due to the amount of medication I was on and I agree, it is diffiult to function, Well, the insurance company says EVERYTHING relates to my neck pain therefore they are not paying on there policy......

Your thoughts PLEASE, I do not want to lose my home....

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

chicubs HB User
Re: Pre existing Condition or not

I'm sorry you are going through this and worrying about loosing your home and all the while in so much pain.

Can you appeal their decision? My husband and myself also took out the mortgage protection. Not so much for me but for him because he made the most money.

We had also just changed institutions for the mortgage. The timing was very, very, close between when my long term disability deemed me permanently and totally disabled and when we changed mortgage companies. I thought for sure we would not receive any help from the mortgage company. But we were lucky enough to be approved. The person from the mortgage company was so very helpful in helping us fill out the forms. As was my own doctor. I think without their help we probably would not have been approved.

I thought I remember reading in all that paper work, that if we were not happy with the decision we could appeal it. Perhaps it's worth a try? I will be praying that this is turned around so that you do not need to worry about your house. We have enough to worry about with our disabilities without having to worry about loosing our houses as well. Good Luck my friend!
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
(male)

larbec7 HB User

I may try the appeal. I have a close friend that is an attorney and he is willing to help in anyway (he is in employment law) but everything i explain to the insurance company they say "it's pre-existing".....I would think a new injury while working out and the doctor increasing my meds is not pre-existing. I was taken out of work due to all the medication I am on. How is THAT pre-existing? But they can do whatever they want unless I can find a loop hole and have the proper wording.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I would have your lawyer friend send out a letter on your behalf that he/she is representing you and that you will be appealing their decision as this is a "clearly documented" medical case that shows this is a new injury and new meds. Sometimes this is all it takes, believe it or not. I actually wrote a letter for a friend of mine saying she had retained me to take over her case for her ( I NEVER claimed to be a lawyer, as I was a teacher then, never a lawyer) since she could not get satisfaction. While it was not exactly like your case, it did involve money and the other party's unwillingness to pay. Surprise! The money showed up within two weeks of receipt. I had it sent certified mail to the other party. As far as insurance/mortgage companies are, you really have to push them. When I became disabled, it took me a year of whacking my mortgage disability company over the head with the same letter but xeroxed and redated sent approximately every 2 weeks to a different auditor. The final letter I sent relayed that now my lawyer would take over as I had done all I could. I had my check from the mortgage disability company the next week. It is worth a shot, and coming to them from a law office letterhead and lawyer just may get them to reconsider. Good luck!
Mim Gregg

Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
(male)

larbec7 HB User

I will get the documentation from my doctor and go see my lawyer friend. The insurance company "CLAIMS" that everything is related to my neck injury...even IF they changed my medication and increased my dosage...they are quick to take your money though....

Last edited by larbec7; 08-20-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Documentation is key, and if possible a letter from your doc reiterating this is new injury and meds. The lawyer will thank you for this and it can save you some money to get it without the lawyer requesting it. Hang in there, getting disability from the government is a tough road and it is tough enough getting it from supplemental policies we paid for too!
Mim Gregg

Closed Thread