It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
(male)

MindlessMike HB User
Angry Opinions Wanted

Hello All,

I recently filed for SSI disablity. I have had three neck surgery's however this is not the issue. I told them all my health issues including being Bi Polar. Well of course I was denied but the reason they gave for the Bi Polar was "I was capable of doing simple work away from the public" I and other people I have mentioned it to find it insulting. Does this mean as a Bi Polar person this is all I can do? I am just asking for more input.

Thanks,

Mindless Mike

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Re: Opinions Wanted

To get SSI you must be unable to work. Your application must have listed Bipolar as an illness that keeps you from working.

The determination is about your claim that you cannot work, not a statement about every Bipolar person. The SSI determination is that you are at least capable of doing simple work away from the public. There is no reason to to take offense at that.

If you are capable of doing more than simple work away from the public, then it means you aren't disabled, and if not, then why would you apply for disability?

Last edited by friendlione; 08-20-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
(male)

MindlessMike HB User

Bi-Polar disorder isn't why I filed I filed due to several other issues as well as being BP. Maybe cause I am BP that is why I am taking offense. In any case the wording should be changed to make it a little more politically correct.
Thanks for your opinion!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User

Hi
Did you have help with your application? Only issues you want to be considered should be on the application. Since you put Bipolar it is part of the decision.

I understand what you are saying...the thing is, the determination of what you are able to do is not a political statement. It is just a statement of work you are determined to be able to do.

Are you going to appeal the denial?

Last edited by friendlione; 08-20-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

auntduci37 HB User

Did you list the reasons that you cant work because of having bi-polar?

I ask because I have bipolar, and its so much mroe then just dealing with the public. I was denied the first go round, I think because i hadnt been out of work for very long.
But they told me i could find a different line of work.
Which if i could i would have.

but i was awarded on the reconsideration phase.
so it isnt uncommon for them to deny you for any illness.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-21-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Use whole words, not abbreviations.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
(male)

MindlessMike HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend View Post
Hi
Did you have help with your application? Only issues you want to be considered should be on the application. Since you put Bipolar it is part of the decision.

I understand what you are saying...the thing is, the determination of what you are able to do is not a political statement. It is just a statement of work you are determined to be able to do.

Are you going to appeal the denial?
Yes I am in the process of appealing now.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey mike. i am just wondering if you actually had an appt with one of ssds shrinks yet? if not,you most likely will during the recon phase. i know i did,and that is what i think really helped with my case in also having severe recurrent depression among a host of major medical issues. but my son was actually awarded the first time around mostly based upon his bi polar disorder. but he was sent in the first go round and took much less time to actually get approved than i did.

just being able to speak with their physc doc can really help your case alot in some cases. telling him or her just what you actually can and cannot do and how well or not controlled your bi polar condition is also would make a big difference. my sons situation had ALOT of anger/manic displays that could at times be explosive. about a year after he actually got approved he also suffered a severe brain injury as well,but that was after approval. so now we have a bi polar son with a cognative brain injury and has also went thru liver failure and transplant(that was before everything else happened,we was only 12 when Dxed with liver failure).

i think your recon phase when i am pretty sure they will be sending you for that physc eval will probably help you the most with your case. i KNOW it was key to both my being awarded and mostly my son. they just need to know what you simply cannot do because of limitations set forth from your condition and why. i do wish you luck with this mike. please keep us posted. Marcia

Closed Thread