It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
(male)

brclrk80 HB User
Examination

I applied for disability one week ago today for complications from MS, mental and physical. I received a letter today saying they scheduled me for an examination because they need more medical evidence. It just says "examination" but they want me to go to a center that specializes in mental disorders. I do have cognitive impairments because of my disease, but I stressed the physical aspect more than the mental. My question is, given the paper only says examination yet the facility is for mental, exactly what type of examination should I be prepared for? Also, should I contact the facility and inquire or do they frown on that? Thanks!

I also wanted to add; should I get a letter from my doctor supporting my disability claim or would it be too late? If so, would I take this to my examination or to the social security office?

Last edited by brclrk80; 08-26-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
(male)

brclrk80 HB User
Re: Examination

I hope its ok I am replying to myself, I wanted to update in case someone could give some insight on this. I called the disability people to confirm my appointment, which by the way was for mental. They told me I have another appointment with a neurologist, I have not received that letter yet but I confirmed the appointment over the phone. It just so happens that the neurologist they have me seeing for my exam is my own neurologist who sent a letter to the social security office when I first applied saying I was totally disabled. My question is, what are the odds that seeing my own neurologist who already says I am totally disabled will help me, and, what are the odds they will find me disabled and cancel the mental exam? Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Wow, somebody dropped the ball on that one! Take advantage of disability's mistake and go to your own doctor! That's GREAT that they're sending you to someone who you know is willing to say that you're totally disabled! Go you!

Emily

Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

I can't answer your questions about the exam because I was lucky and did not have to go through their doctors. I think it is great that you get to go to your own doctor that has to be in your favor. I just wanted to wish you luck and hope everything works out okay for you and it isn't drawn out like it is for so many other people.

Linda

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
(male)

brclrk80 HB User

I thought it was kind of weird also when I found out about the doctor. I am worried though about the SSA blue book where it defines what constitutes a disability under their guidelines. I know I match what they require in their physical section for MS, however I also match the mental section for MS. I stressed both aspects in my application which is why I have two exams.

My wife is disabled for panic disorder and won on the first try. She had each family member write a letter describing in specific details how she struggled with daily living. She is also suggesting that I do the same. I am wondering if I should stress the mental part only since I do match their definition of an organic mental disorder and I did give examples on my application. I have heard it is easier to win for mental than with physical because it more limits your ability to do work. The only problem is I have no clinical proof of this because I have never seen anyone about it. Our financial situation prevented it and I had no where to go. Does the letters sound like a good idea? It would be the only "proof" I have plus it worked for my wife who also had no proof. Thank you again.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
(male)

brclrk80 HB User

I didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic, so I am posting this as an update.

I went to my examination yesterday. Before we started he did his usual reflex tests and such. He said he didn't need me there to fill out the paperwork, but he wanted me to show just to say I did. After this he asked me three questions.

1. How long can you sit?
2. Can you walk a block?
3. Can you button and zip your clothing?

He said he would fill the rest out without me and he would "paint it as if you were dying". I told him I feel like it most of the time. I didn't lie or stretch the truth about anything, I seriously and honestly cannot do much of anything. I don't know what all he put for the rest, but he said I should have no trouble being approved. I just hope he did not lie about anything, I would never lie about my condition and I would not expect a medical professional to lie either.

I have a mental exam next Monday, not looking forward to it.

Closed Thread