It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User
Talking Yes, you can get disability for fibro.

I've seen refferences about not being able to get disability for fibro. You can. I'll have been on it 2 years in November. Just be ready for a rough, tough, humiliating road ahead. As in all conditions soc. sec.'s job is to find out all they can to deny you. There is a business in the mid-west that is run by owners that used to work at disability trying to find things to deny people. They stopped hurting people and found a business helping people get it, they know the red tape and what thing they will and will not look for. If you do use this agency they do a lot of stuff on the phone in conference calls, they send you tons of paper. When the time comes for you to go in front of the judge they send anadvocate out here to represent you at your hearing. They are on the ball. Be prepare to be turned down at least 2 times. You have to really be strong and you'll have to repeat the same things over and over and try to keep that all straight, keep a diary, it's the only way to do it. They have doctors, head doctors, etc. that they send you to, but they don't necessarily go along with disability wanting to reject your claim. Sometime it works to their disadvantage and really good for yours. Alot depend on the judge that you get also. So yes there is help out there. I found it on my own looking for sites. Super people and very thorough in what they do. Great understanding people and their percentage of wins is in the 90%'s. They have advocates that will travel all over the USA to be at your hearings. I'm thinking that they were expanding, but not sure. This group is easy to find. Just read what I've written, you'll find it if you want to. Hope this helped sombody out there.

AnneBoleyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
(female)

sammye HB User
Re: Yes, you can get disability for fibro.

Thank you for the information...someday I'll need that! I didn't know that. It gives me some hope. Sounds like a lot of work. Hopefully something comes along so I won't have to get on disability.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Sammye

Thanks, I hope you find a job that works for you, but at least you know that you can get disability. You have to be tough, sometimes you want to just throw your arms in the air and just say I give up. I think that government agencies want you to do that so maybe you'll just give up. Not me! Have a good day.
AnneBoleyn

Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

I have been on disability for Fibromyalgia for over 12 yrs. I COULD NOT WORK due to the FM - I fought it as long as I could and I was so sick that my neuro pleaded with me to stop and try to get a grip on this illness. I finally stopped and applied immediately. I had worked for 18 yrs. It took 3 yrs of fighting and hiring a lawyer on a contingency basis. I was turned down the first 2 times and then hired a lawyer. I know women who in the last 5 years or so, have gotten it much easier, but not without the help of a lawyer. It was horrible - we went into such financial debt - no money for 3 yrs from me - my husband was in his own business - we had a small child - it was very stressful which made me even sicker. Its HORRIBLE what they put you through, but I was not going to give up. I paid into it for 18 yrs and needed the help. And I had 2 wonderful doctors who had years of medical back up to prove how sick I was. I was awarded the disability finally and you do get a large check dating back to the date you applied when you are awarded. If you need it, don't give up - but if you get turned down 2 times, hire a lawyer specializing in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue etc. They are more knowledgeable and even though he got a nice chunk of my retro check, it was worth it. It helped me to start to listen to my own body and it takes a long time to get a grip of this illness (as much as we can) and learn to accept whats been handed to us. I now work very part-time - disability encourages you to work if you can - I don't make much money, but it helps me mentally and it does not affect my disability. There is no way I could go back to doing what I did for 18 years and there is no way I could earn anywhere near what I did, but I work about 12 hours a week and it works for me. Good Luck - MaryAnn

Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
(female)

jessbcuz10 HB User

I Just recently filed my second claim. I do know you can get it, Its just very hard.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
(female)

daybreak333 HB User

i am in the "waiting for my trial" phase. it was so disheartening going through the whole process of seeing a doc they sent me to, then a meeting with one of their psychiatrists, just to be denied. i felt like there is no way they can look at all i have gone through, all that i live with daily and then just send me a letter saying things like "you are not in enough fatigue or pain to receive disability". if only they knew! i have worked with an attorney since the beginning, it was not worth more stress to try to fight this all on my own. at the time i filed because the fibromyalgia had gotten so bad, but over the past year the chronic fatigue has also gotten so much worse.
it is really hard to just wait and know that part of your fate is in the hands of a judge. i did not want to go on disability but i got to the point where there is no other way. we all suffer enough without these extra financial stresses, and people deciding wrongly to deny us. I do believe i have God on my side as well, and would appreciate your prayers. thank you!! ((hugs))

I agree, we have to be strong and not give up!

thanks for the encouragement,and it is so great to hear about those people who stopped hurting people by disqualifying those who really need it, and started helping them!

blessings and comfort to you all,
DB

PS what is going before the judge like, for those of you who have had to go all the way to that point? i am wondering what to expect...i can not imagine being denied at that point...what a long journey

Closed Thread