It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
Talking Fibro

I have MS and Fibro..I'm not looking for disability, but my 26 year old daughter has reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly bad Fibro and possible Lupus..we pay all her bills at the time and talk disability all the time..there is no way she could keep a job...she may have 3 decent days a week, but what employer would put up with that especially when you can't count on which days..anyway, she is beautiful and kind and YOUNG..and when you look at her, I'm sure people wonder how she could be so sick..she doesn't walk around complaining..tries to make the best out of life..we are needing some help with bills since the economy is hitting us hard and we haven't checked into her disability because it just seems they would look at her and say, "yeah right" when in fact, she suffers so much...is it going to her harder for her to get it? Should we even try at this age? Any advice on how to start with her?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User
Re: Fibro

Always start a new thread for your questions or problems. Do not post on others threads. It takes away from their questions and is not fair to them.

Thank you.
Mod 08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

At her age, it will be much harder to qualify, but don't just give up. At least give it your best shot.

The first step is to find out if she even has enough work credits to apply. Look at the social security website to find that out.

I wish you both the best,
Emily

Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

If she doesn't have enough work credits, and owns less than $2000, she can still apply for SSI. Max benefit for 2008 is $637.

Another alternative - if she has had these severe medical problems since before she was age 22, and you have medical records to prove it, and one of her parents is on SSDI, she can draw from their work record. For example, if you decide to apply for SSDI, and on the form you say that you have a daughter who might qualify on your record, then you are approved, she might be able to draw from your work record. She would draw half of what your benefit amount is. For example if you draw $1600, she would draw $800.

Last edited by roses4lace; 09-15-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
(female)

annaliis03 HB User

I also have fibromyalgia and possibly MS. I am unable to work or return back to college. So i applied for ssi and have just been approved and i am only 23 yrs. old. She should try going on dissability. Also, expect to wait awhile for the approval. Until this day it has been 3 years just to get an approval.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
(female)

moetwins HB User

needhealing777, I would like to talk to you some more. I am in the same boat as your daughter, I am 24 and I also suffer fibormyalgia. I am seriously considering applying for disability but I am afraid that since I am so young I will just be denied.

annaliis03, I woul dlike to tlak to you more too. That is great that you got approved. Did you have to hire a layer? I also had to drop out of college because I was unable to handle it. I have only worked one job in my life and it was less than a year and that was in 2003-2004.

Please PM me or write back on this post so we can talk. Thanks!

Last edited by moetwins; 09-20-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
(female)

annaliis03 HB User

Hi, My mom hired a lawyer because i was denied the first time. So my lawyer appealed it and i just recently got my approval letter. I have only worked one job as well but only for about three months. So i only qualified for ssi. I got on using Fibromyalgia as my diagnosis. I did have to go to court(june 11) and obviously there was no other job that they can try to train me for but again the judge sent me to one of their doctors(july 11). I recently received my approval letter on September 11. You won't have a problem getting on. I first applied at the age of twenty. Of course the process has been going on for 3 years.

Last edited by annaliis03; 09-20-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
(female)

moetwins HB User

Thanks for the info annaliis03!!! Do you still live at home? I do and I am worried because I know SSI goes by your income so would they take my parents income into consideration?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User

My daughter has had and tried several jobs, but since not working a couple years now, I don't know if that will help or hurt and being young sure doesn't add up to much income made in her lifetime..I can't imagine her working even from home..some days she can't walk, she can't get out of bed, you never know which days these will be..how can she be reliable to someone..
Do you need alot of medical documentation? She doesn't go to the dr. everytime she feels bad..it would be a few times a WEEK and she figures she knows what's wrong and they don't help her much anyway.
So, the first thing to do is find a lawyer? I have no idea who would be good.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
(female)

annaliis03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetwins View Post
Thanks for the info annaliis03!!! Do you still live at home? I do and I am worried because I know SSI goes by your income so would they take my parents income into consideration?

I think because of my age that they do not go by my parents income. Since i am unable to work and i don't have any income coming in, i didn't qualify for social security. I also live at home with my mom who is also disabled. Also, i told u that i have a lawyer but make sure that if you do apply to get a lawyer that only collects when u win your case.

Closed Thread