It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Question applying for SSD and working

Hello All!

If you have applied for SSD and are in the appeal process can you try to work part time?

Would that help or hurt your appeal?

Thanks, Cindy

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
(male)

barlewis48 HB User
Re: Question applying for SSD and working

well the way ssd looks at it if you can work part time you can work full time my guess is social security is real treaky they tell you can work and earn 800.00 dollars or more but to me it is not a good ideal to work at all while you are trying to win your case good luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

Cindy, I am in the same situation.I applied for SSDI in March and was denied. I got a lawyer and now we are in the appeals. I asked him if i could work part time and he said yes. But i could not make over $900.00 a month. But i am not going to do it because one thing.. i don't think i can hold down a job even if it is part time and i don't want to hurt my case by working.
I guess i will just have to be poor and mooch off of people till i am approved.
It is a terrible thing to have to wait sooooooo long but i guess it will be worth it in the long run.
Hope things turn out great for you soon.
Karen

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

I would think that if you try to work part time and can not how can they think you can work full time....

SSD is for those who can not work full time. So I think proving that you can not even work part time would help the case.

Cindy

Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I agree with others, it's not really a good idea to do so. They see this as an attempt to work and you may be denied on that basis alone.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
(male)

carthur HB User

You will not win your case if you work at all before winning your case. If you win your case, you can earn something like $900.00 a month without it affecting your disability. But, I think that could be trickly too.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
(male)

hhaller HB User

hurt your chances

Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Cindy,
you are able to work a very min. p/t job. I is not true that it will hurt your claim. Even when people are found fully disabled and have won their claim, of SSI , or SSDI they can work, up to a certain amount each month without it affecting their claim>
Social Security actually likes to see those people atttemting to earn a little money , then not even trying ! As long as the earnings are below the SGA amount you are fine to try and work. Please remember that Gross income , before taxes are taken out is included.
Each year the SGA amount goes up. Please go online to the Social Security Administration website and look up this years SGA amount.
I know this first hand, because I worked while my claim was going through the process. It DID NOT affect my claim in the least .
What happened to me is that I was fired though, even at just working a little . However the amounts fell below the SGA, Social Security did not even question it.
Working a little bit, making certain this falls below the SGA , will also help build your work credits up. Imprortant if you are wanting to SSDI.
mscat

Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Thanks MsCat
Do you think self employment or a real employee job would be better
I'm talking about 10 hours a week max here....
Cindy

Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

When I got fired for not being able to do my job (landscaping) I tried to rest for while while collecting unemployment, then I told my Dr. I was helping out my next door neighbor who had cancer, and boy did the judge hone in on that. Along with my attempt at doing some scapebooking from time to time, so it's a flip of the coin. It all depends on what the judge you get assigned to. For me it wasn't worth it; my Dr wrote I was working part time for the park we live in, I'm not sure how she got that from helping my neighbor, so I had to send a notarized letter was the manager of the park saying I have not worked for them since I got fired in 2003.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa3 View Post

When I got fired for not being able to do my job (landscaping) I tried to rest for while while collecting unemployment, then I told my Dr. I was helping out my next door neighbor who had cancer, and boy did the judge hone in on that.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Working while attempting to get SSD can only hurt a person IMHO. Yes, SS likes people to "try" to work, but that's after you've been awarded benefits, not before. And, the reason they "like" one to work is that it's a potential weaning process to get you off of SSD.

The bottom line is this...When you apply for SSD and are going through the process, any type of work....Even volunteer, possibly demonstrates that you can potentially work. To me, it's not worth the risk.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl440 View Post
Thanks MsCat
Do you think self employment or a real employee job would be better
I'm talking about 10 hours a week max here....
Cindy
Cindy,
everyone else who has responded to your thread , is writing about not even trying to work while in the process. But, me I don't know where u are in your claim, and DO NOT want to compromise your chances of winning. Social Security is so picky and strict, that the judge could look at your minor working hrs is something that u are able to do, therefore not Disabled enough to meet their standards.
My claim never went onto this level either. I won on the reconsiderartion level, and at that time, was not working . I had orginally worked though , but it was not until a good 6 months after I was fired . I went onto unemployment , then to welfare, for a while, My mental health declined , and kept going down severely.
When I was approved , it was not a issue , about the working . Maybe because it was so min. and I had been fired.
Every situation is different. SO please be careful about what you plan on doing, work wise . If you get a stinky judge, then u could lose your claim , just by the min. amount of work u were doing.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

I won my claim on Sept 9th
so now I would be under the SGA

Cindy

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
(female)

that's great, congradulations

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl440 View Post

I won my claim on Sept 9th so now I would be under the SGA
I'm confused. You originally posted on Sept 16th asking if it would ok to work while you were appealing.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread