It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

Max48 HB User
CDR (Review) dilema, suggestions requested

To get to the point, I am on mental health disability, am near the 3 year mark on benefits and due for review, haven`t seen a psyche doctor in about 2 & 1/2 years, and am on the fence as to whether I should pick a psyche doctor out of the yellow pages that takes Medicaid in order to get current records, hopefully a fair one that won`t toss me under the bus, or just wait on the Social Security docs that they will probably send me to.

My background:

About 4 years ago I experienced a series of traumas and developed severe depression and panic disorder. Several medications have been tried on me and either did not help or worsened the condition. I`m of course glad for those who find relief there but I`m obviously real senstive to meds and have a lot of problems. I saw a therapist for a few months but that ended over a year ago because of compatability problems. I have some okay days but many bad ones and a very low tolerance for stress, plus a group of constant symptoms. I haven`t seen a need to see a doctor recently because I do not want to take psyche medications and that has always been the suggestion. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

lindasj HB User
Re: CDR (Review) dilema, suggestions requested

Go to your county mental health agency, or get a private shrink. Just because they hand you scripts don't mean yoi havo fill them, SSA isn't checking pharmacy receipts just doctors statements. They'll ask you to fill out a questionaire first before they contact your doctors. There is alot of non-compliant pysch patients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
(male)

Max48 HB User

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I don`t have to take the drugs even if the doctor insists on prescribing them. What I`m having trouble deciding is if at this late stage, nearing a review, if I`d do better to go to a doctor and build some recent record or just continue as I am and deal with the doctors Social Security will probably send me to.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I wouldn't stress over it much, rarely have I seen reviews done on time. It is however, important to have medical records to show you've been getting treatment when that time comes. Lack of medical evidence is often why cases get terminated or denied.

I have sensitivity to medications as well and finally after many years I found one that didn't give me terrible side effects, it's all trial and error.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
(male)

Max48 HB User

Hi. Kissa. Are you saying that Social Security kicks the person off simply because they haven`t been to the doctor recently? I read otherwise on a legal site, that in that case, Social Security chooses doctors for the person to see, single visits. In this case I suppose they could terminate based on that evidence, but they do need medical evidence to terminate. It is different from when you first apply.

Last edited by Max48; 09-19-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
(female)

chicubs HB User

I still believe though that Social Security will want to see that you have been trying to better yourself by continuing with some sort of treatment. Whether it includes medication or some other kind of treatment.
If I were you I would not wait until they make you see one of their doctors. Let them see that you have documentation from your doctors that proves that you still have issues. Otherwise I can see why they would think about terminating your benefits if you are not trying to get any help to help your situation.
I don't mean to sound abrupt but since you have asked for our opinions, mine would be to find a doctor that will verify what you are saying is wrong with you.
I wish you good luck and I hope that it works it out for you.
Take Care of yourself because no one else will do it for you.
Take Care,
Chris

Old 09-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

If there's no indication that you are still ill, i.e. you haven't seen a doctor in three years since getting SS, yes they can and have terminated individuals due to this. What happens is you end up seeing their doctor for their decision. It doesn't go to say you have to always see a doctor but if you are disabled the thought is that you should at some point be seeing a doctor. It depends on your condition. Depression is treated different than someone say who is blind.

The thought process for those on SS of any form with depression only has changed recently. They are working on a new program to try to get individuals actually working agian. They even have a work from home program for different companies. I know about this as my husband suffers from treatment resistant depression and recieved a letter and a phone call regarding this several months ago. I on the other hand didn't get any such call or letter.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
(male)

Max48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
If there's no indication that you are still ill, i.e. you haven't seen a doctor in three years since getting SS, yes they can and have terminated individuals due to this. What happens is you end up seeing their doctor for their decision.
With all respect, someone is wrong, you or the law site I read which states a simple failure to see a doctor on your own will not alone constitute the proof that S.S. needs to terminate. If a simple failure to see the doctor is all that they needed, there would be no point in them sending you to their doctor for an evaluation. Of course this all assumes the beneficiary fills out the forms and reports to still be sick. In the interim I`ve asked around my community and found one person on mental health disability who has not seen a doctor on his own in 15 years, not because he is well, but because he doesn`t want to take drugs, is scared of the doctors, and doesn`t believe they can help him. He is sent to the docs chosen by S.S. about every 3 years and his benefits have always been continued. Granted this is but one case, but a simple failure to see a doctor is no medical evidence when considering there can be pertinent reasons for not going. They need more than this to terminate, is why they look to secure true medical evidence by ordering examinations. removed

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-21-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: inappropriate

Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
(female)

lindasj HB User

I'm telling you I wouldn't screw with it. I got a ton of medical issues and SSA gave me disability mainly on my Bipolar condition. I cannot psychically hold down a full time job, but if I didn't see my shrink they would probably kick me off. It won't kill you to go in every 3 months for medication management and you have documentation to back up your claim. I started going to a county case manager and found out about all kinds of resources the community has to offer I didn't know about plus federal programs. I was supposed to have CDR at the end of April and I haven't heard from them yet. I was told they wold send me a questionnaire first to fill out. It would be good thing to have Drs name or Social service to put on it. After they review that, they might go for medical information. They are backlogged at the federal level and it is farmed out to the states for redetermination and most states are hurting worse than the federal. I am working with a case manager now to get a part-time job that won't go over the SGA limits. I also got student loans pending disability discharge. If I get this part-time job I can get about 2900 a month total and only the 900 would be taxable and count toward my income for the loan discharge.
You do need to document everything whether you take the pills or not, because their doctors are going to work in their favor not yours. True it is harder to get get kicked off once you get it than to initally get it. Also alot has to do with your age. They pretty much don't mess with you if you are older, or if it is SSI or SSDI.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
(male)

Max48 HB User

I`m on federal disability, not private.

Yes, I`m agreeing that it`s best that I go ahead and see another head doctor on my own. I`ve just challenged the notion that a failure to do so recently by itself can get someone terminated at a CDR. Protocol is different than when first applying.

It`s been crazy here and I have a therapist who can document it, though that relationship ended about a year ago. I have reasons for not seeing a head doctor as none has been able to help. I have actually seen doctors for others issues, physical problems which were anxiety related though only symptoms were treated. Getting through one day to the next has been the objective. It has been a long time since I`ve believed that a psychiatrist or brain meds could be of any real help.

Last edited by Max48; 09-20-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
(female)

lindasj HB User

I said SSI or SSDI. SSI is when you don't have enough work credits and you get a pittance like about 700 a month. SSDI is when you have paid in enough credits you get a bigger pittance, you can earn up to 940 month working and get SSDI. Anything you earn on SSI is deducted from it. Hell, burger flipping will get you kicked off SSI. Being nosy, how old are you?. I'll be 49 next month. I also get money from Civilian disability retirement. I can earn almost 40,000 and not loose that. It is offset by what I get from SSDI, so if I went back to work and lost my SSDI, that amount would increase. My situation is really screwed up. I got binders of records. My goal is to eventually return to the work force and keep my Civilian disability and it's insurance benefits.I got physical issues I'm working on. My student loans will be officially discharged 01/08/10.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
(male)

Max48 HB User

I`m 48. I get SSI. I`m glad you are at the point where you are considering working. That`s not a possibility here, and I`ll forgoe all the details of my symptoms. No one really wants to hear it unless they are getting paid to....

I relate on the student loans. I owe a lot but they won`t discharge unless a doctor signs off that the disability is permanent. No one can really know that until I breathe my last. Then we can stamp it, "permanent."

Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to indicate, if you re-read, I indicated no records since approval. If you have no records at all since your approval there could be an issue. you did indicate you saw someone a year ago and that does help.

Either way, I've yet to see a review done on time so don't stress it!
If medications do not work for you have you considered a VNS device?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
(male)

Max48 HB User

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the replies and the williness of some to read and replies to this crucial issue, disability.

I`ll read about the VNS device.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
(female)

TrayC HB UserTrayC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasj View Post
Go to your county mental health agency, or get a private shrink. Just because they hand you scripts don't mean yoi havo fill them, SSA isn't checking pharmacy receipts just doctors statements. They'll ask you to fill out a questionaire first before they contact your doctors. There is alot of non-compliant pysch patients.
I have to disagree with this statement
Quote:
SSA isn't checking pharmacy receipts just doctors statements.
I was asked to provide my pharmacy records. I am also on disablity for 2 disabling conditions one being for a chronic panic disorder. They wanted to see if I was actually filling my medications on a regular basis.

Closed Thread