It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Applying for SSD and unemployment

Can you collect unemployment while appealing SSD?

I had been on unemployment before filing for SSD.
Now they offer the 13 week extension which I could get.

Since I have been denined they claim I can work.

What should I do?

Cindy

Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
(female)

auntduci37 HB User
Re: Applying for SSD and unemployment

i got it, ss didnt say anything...i was trying to find something i could do i just never found anything.

on my last check of ui i was awarded my disability.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Unless they changed the rules, the answer is no. The agreement with unemployment is that you must be actively seeking a job and that you can not recieve it while disabled because you would be deemed unable to work.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Aunt Darci,
Thanks for your reply.

Kissa,
Why can't you get unemployment if your activily seeking work?
Doesn't mean you'll find a job in this economy. Before I applied for SSD I was looking for work for over a year and found nothing. Besides SSD denied me saying I was able to work......

Think I will try for the unemployment.

Cindy

Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

check with your local state unemployment and SS for the exact rules, but there was a conflict in years past as unemployment means you can physically work but are out of a job, disability means you can not work at all. Does the conflict make sense?

In the my state you can not collect unemployment if you are disabled, again, check with your state rules. Your state says you must be able to work a full time job to get unemployment, SS says you have are not able to work at all. If you are in an appeals and it is then determined you are disabled, payment is retroactive, that's where the conflict is. You could potentially end up having to pay back the unemployment as failure of notification is fraud.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Yes, Kissa has it right. To qualify for unemployment, you're saying that you CAN work but haven't been able to find a job. To qualify for disability, you're saying you CAN'T work. It has to be one or the other, not both. Sure would make it easier on us financially while we're waiting for disability to come through if we could collect unemployment temporarily, huh!!!! Oh well.

I wish you the best as you work your way through the maze.
Emily

Old 09-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sure would be easier, especially since it's something our employers pay into for us. but of course there's the other side, you can't get unemployment unless you lost your job through no fault of your own, quitting doesn't qualify you. Not saying this is the case just rambling to illustrate how backwards things are.

Furthermore you can not apply for SS if you are working, you must not have a job. So many folks get stuck on that one as they can not financially afford to quit but are so disabled working is near impossible.

The system is screwy but it is what it is so that people don't abuse it. Just like they tell you that you can work while on SS but in the same token, even if it's under one limit that supposibly doesn't affect you then there's another lower threshold limit as well that indicates you are actively working. And of course they can always come back and say you are gainfully employed based on that. Funny that those who created the system do not use it, they have their own system. go figure.

thanks for clarifying my point, sometimes I just assume folks understand what I am trying to say :P

Closed Thread