It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

kitten0101 HB User
Bipolar and Disability

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advise? I am bipolar mania and borderline personality disorder. I was diagnosed about two years ago but I have lived with this all my life. I finally decided to find out what was wrong with me after almost loosing my second marriage. I left my first husband because I was afraid of killing him. Basically my bipolar causes me to have very violent fits of rage. I'm on meds now (depakote, lithium, and prozac) but I still can not keep a job, I still get aggravated when one of my triggers are hit and I have many. Although I'm not physically violent on the medication employers still don't care for my attitude as they call it and when I tell them I don't have an attitude I'm bipolar I still get fired. I am 35 and have had 30 jobs or more and most don't last more than a couple of months. I just started the process of disability and I'm wondering what my chances are of recieving it?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some advise

Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

sparky2009 HB User
Re: Bipolar and Disability

It's becoming quite a popular item, it claim that people are bi-polar or schizophernic before checking them physically. Get tested for wheat intolerance or celiac disease. I was given the same diagnosis, with absolutely no physical symptoms and it turned out that I'm Celiac.

Good luck.

sparky

Last edited by Mod08; 09-20-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: no need to copy quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
(female)

auntduci37 HB User

i have bipolar and on disability.
took about 6 months, had alot of medical background to go with it.
maybe you need a med change.
alot of people can work and be bipolar, i did for 20 yrs but i kept getting worse.
but yes you can get on disability having bipolar.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If you are asking about receiving Social Security benefits, then yes it is considered one of the approved illnesses. Like Aunt said, lots of medical background will surely help with an approval. The process isn't easy and hiring an attorney does help. Some usually wait until the first denial if they get one as there are folks who do get approved on the first try.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
(female)

fairydustxmagic HB User

I am on disabilitiy for my bipolar and how i cant have a job. you will most likely get it. it takes acouple of months.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
(male)

urbandale HB User

I just tried for disability and I'm pretty sure I won't get it. SSI was a no way. I've got too much money. I thinks it's SSDI I am still in the process. Bascially I'm just covering my bases. I'm also an addict. I am still technically a nurse, but I have a lot of problem getting bored and into arguments. My license is almost gone. Long story. But I got a possession charge. I called the paramedics thought I was having heart attack. Guess who walked in right behind them, the police. Didn't even hide my ****. Was too embarrassed over calling them in the first place.
As bad as all this sounds, I do have a good outlook. If I stay clean anything is possible. I always land on my feet. . . . and even if I don't this time. I will end up getting disability eventually and I already volunteer at a homeless shelter. I am making some friends there, so maybe I'll have somebody to watch my back if I end up there.
Sorry, I'm just rambling. Hope things get better.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

my son was awarded benefits with the same Dx as you. he too will have some really over the top actual rages,not just anger outbursts. one big thing you need to make certain you include with your application is your over the top work history. it will matter in your case and just back up the fact that you simply cannot continue to hold a job due to your mental health issues. my son was awarded benefits even more quickly than i was when i applied for my SCI and other medical problems. and it took me 9 months,with also having to go thru the recon phase too. you just need to let them know how severely this has impacted your life and what you just simply cannot do anymore. thats what you really want them to see,what you can't. becasue they will always be looking at what they think you still can do,ya know what i mean?

just a really good suggestion for you. once you start filling out all that paperwork,make darn sure to make copies of every sinlge thing you send in to them for your own records. sometimes they will send you out the exact same documants to fill out all over agin,they did this to me anyways. it does help to have the already completed one to go by. i think the best thing they could really do for you in your situation is have you actually see their pshyc doc. i know this was the crucial part of how my son and i too because of my severe depression,both got awarded benefits. this is the person who you can really explain all about you too ya know? just let them know that even with being on meds that you still cannot manage to function right in todays world,and crtainly cannot seem to maintain a job for any good length of time and how that also affects you and depression as well. every little bit just helps you. i do wish you luck with this. please keep us all posted,marcia

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
(female)

kitten0101 HB User

Thank you for your advise I also was reminded today that I got two jobs through the Dept. of Rehab Services and they didn't work out either. Hopefully this is a big help to me. All I know is I'm too sick to work and I hope I can make them see that.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
(female)

kitten0101 HB User

No one rambles in here. It's good to get things out especially to people who understand what you are going through or what you have done. I shot my husband dog while in an episode and don't even remember doing it. You see I also have the same destructive behavior but do what your doctor tells you and if you are on meds never go off of them for any reason. I did and I have to go to court in Nov. to keep my husband out of jail because I lied on him.

Keep in touch and always think positive.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
(male)

urbandale HB User

Thanks for all of your info and comments, they do help. I mean I don't want to really be on this assistance, because it's very small amount, and they make you get rid of any assets before you can get anything.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User

I am Bi-polar..i was diagnosed when i was 17 and im 29 now. i applied for ssdi after denying that i needed it for years. my mom and all my doctors encouraged me to do so. finally i signed up in december of 07. i just got approved last month. but like a lot of the others have said i had massive medical history (going back constant for 12 years) and loads and loads of failed jobs. i was lucky i didnt have to hire a lawyer so that means i can keep all the money due to me. my advice is to stay in close contact with your doctor(s) and talk with them and see if they are going to back you up. im by far an expert on it but i was told by my case manager it was the sheer volume of my medical history, attepts on several medications and being hospitalized due to the various complications from bi-polar mania and depression. i know that i am still searching for a medication that makes me feel ok. ive been on seroquel for a couple of years and while it does make the rage episodes go away i still cycle. Good Luck! and take care!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
(male)

urbandale HB User

thanks for the message. I am a poor historian, they call it, for my history of depression. I only have one suicide threat that is on record. And really I may not need ssdi. But I am going to apply in case I do take a turn for the worse. Worse mean, I don't hear voices or get so manic that I spend every last dime. But thanks again for the information.

Closed Thread