It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

angelaseay68 HB User
Why did I lose my SSI after getting married?

Why did I loose my SSI after getting married. I cant work but Im being punished for not being able to survive on what SSI pays, although I made enough to collect full disability but had a gap in my work history when my youngest was born sick. How does any of this make sense???????:

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Why did I lose my SSI after getting married?

If you are referring to SSI then the reason is mostly likely because if your husband works his salary is taken into account and you may be over the limit financially.
You are not being punished, these are the rules for SSI. Individuals who have not paid enough into the system via work credits simply do not qualify for SSDI and therefore are placed on the SSI system. If you think that's confusing and unfair, the retirement system is even worse.

If you were on SSDI, which means you had enough work credits when you applied and were approved then no getting married has no barring on SSDI because it does not count your assets, it takes into consideration what you actually paid into SS while working if you had enough work credits based on age on the date you were approved for it.

A gap in work does not affect it either because it's based on the total amount of work credits, regardless of when you got them. You get 1 credit for every 3 months consecutively worked and you paid into SS. If you did not pay into SS, such as is the case with most contractor type folks (landscapers and waitressing come to mind, depends on who employed you or how you were paid) generally don't pay into SS and even if they have enough work credits they do not qualify for SSDI.

Your question is a bit confusing, were you getting SSI but feel you actually qualifed for SSDI or were you getting both because the financial limit wasn't met and now you lost your SSI? Or were you getting SSI because you did not have enough credits on the date they deemed your approval?

If you were getting SSI as a suplement to SSDI because you were not recieving enough for a base limit then again, it would have been taken away because SSI is based on total family income and you may of exceeded that (or your husband that is) but you would still get the SSDI.

I hope I haven't confused you more, but basically if I read your question right, you were getting SSI and not SSDI yes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread