It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

jsdk329 HB User
Where do I sign up for Disability?

Can anyone tell me where I need to go to sign up for disability? I called a number awhile back, can't remember, and they won't call me back. Can I fill something out online or something? I need to apply, but don't know how.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User
Re: Bipolar and Disability

search for ssa the domain name is gov or you can call and do an application online ...for disability and they can take your application over the phone

Last edited by Mod08; 10-01-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Per the posting rules, phone numbers are disallowed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
(female)

jsdk329 HB User

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You're a doll tinkerbell!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User

Your very welcome! and good luck!!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
(female)

jsdk329 HB User

Wow I did the application over the internet today, and it literally took me all day long! Pretty much from 9 to 5. No kidding! And then it says it will take 120 days, or 4 months to process, so I won't hear until February. Well, I sure hope they approve me! That's a long time! But thank you again, so much, for getting me started on that! I really appreciate it!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Where do I sign up for Disability?

jsdk329....Make sure you have all your medical records organized and ready to go....It's the most important part of the process. SS will be looking at them to make a determination.

Good luck to you in the process...I hope all works out.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
(female)

jsdk329 HB User

Thanks, yeah I still have to send a bunch of stuff to them. That'll be fun. Haha! Yeah right!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User

be sure you call your local office too...i filled mine out online then waited to hear something for like 3 months, i finally called the 800 number only to find out that they hadnt even begun processing it. i had to take my id ss card and birth certificate and asnswer a few vague questions at the local office before they actually began processing it. took me from december last year till last month to get approved , not too long so it seems they maybe streamlining the process a bit better than it used to be. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

chicubs HB User

I applied in May of this year and was approved yesterday (10-9-08). I too applied online as well. I printed it out and called the local social security office to make a appointment with them. At my appointment the gentleman that helped me was wonderful. He told me that I did a great job of filling out my application and that he really had no more questions for me. I did need to give him my birth certificate and my bank account information just in case I would be approved they would send the money direct deposit.
When I filled out my application I wrote how it feels on my very worse day. You really need to write a lot and to go into detail about how much this has changed your life and what you are no longer able to do.
Make sure that your doctors feel the same way about your situation as you do. Because I really believe that it is your doctor's information and reports, notes, etc. that will decide if you get approved or not. Your doctors play the most important role in your chances for success.
Good Luck to you and I hope things run smoothly for you.
God Bless.
Chris

Old 10-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it may be too late now for the majority of your application stuff,but in the future BEFORE sending them anything at all,including any letters or added info you have to fill out MAKE COPIES of everything that you send them for your own files. in alot of cases,they will send you out the same exact documents to fill out all over again. it saves a ton of time and hassle to have the stuff already there,ya know what i mean? i did not do this right away and ended up filling out at least three documents that i had already filled out at the very beginning. this is also good just for you to have an be able to reference as to when certain symptoms appeared.... its just a good thing to do that would tell anyone who is applying to just do for themselves.

you personally should also obtain all of the records from every single doc,hospital and testing result that ssd will be using to determine benefits too. this just gives you the opportunity to go thru your own records to check that everything you thought was in them just is. and any mistakes(this happens wayyy more than it should actually) can be corrected by you BEFORE ssd sees them and decides something based upon mistakes made in your own records. i was actualy denied the first go round only becasue a particular document i NEEDED to show just when my nerve injuries/spinal cord injury occured during my spinal cord surgery was not in them. they were not in the op notes that my NS made,but in the op notes made by the neurophysiatrist who did the actual monitoring of my motor and sensory nerves during my surgery.there is no way that SSD could have obtained this documnet since i basically had to play detective just to track down the mysterious neuro phys who did my monitoring.

you just need to make copies of everything and check your own records for accuracy. there were also confirmed Dx made by my NS that were not ever put into my records either. you just really really need to check them yourself.i just wish someone had told me all this before i filed,it would have saved me alot of major hassle(and a huge impact on my already severe depression) and i probably would have been approved the first time. just never ever "assume'anything when it comes to your own medical files and what may or may not actually be in them. there are mistakes in almost every persons medical records at some point for alot of reasons. some really don;t matter but on the other hand,some really just do.

just make darn certain that what they are getting is just accurate. and make those copies for yourself. i do wish you lots of luck with this. please keep us posted,Marcia

Closed Thread