It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
1st initial application....did this help?

Hi - just had my initial application for disability at the ss office today. I am 50 and had a total knee replacement in Dec 07 due to severe osteoarthritis - which did not go well, and then I came down with CRPS 1 in my knee. I cannot drive at this point as I cant flex my knee enough and the pain kills me. I cannot sit, stand or lie down for more than 15-20 minutes at a time without changing positions. I also have scolosis which I have had my back fused many years ago. I am on methadone, oxycodone, cymbalta, lyrica - so have a brain fog so to speak also (will explain any type mistakes -sorry). I have heard about how many people get rejected - so am prepared somewhat. I tried to have everything prepared when I went today. I had ALL my medical records to give them, plus my pain managment doc had filled out an RFD ? form that states exactly what I can and cannot do - he was nice enough to fill this out now so I could submit. Main quesiton I have - they stated today it will take 4- 6 months for an answer. But with me submitting the medical records today - shouldn't that cut down on some time - or will they request them again? I am seeing a therepist for my depression as requested by my pain management doc - and sent these in too. I am just so worried about finances ( as many of us are with medical problems) its hard to think positive. Then my husband stated that maybe I shouldn't have submitted the RFD form today - I should have waited..... ??? Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

daph10 HB User
Re: 1st initial application....did this help?

No matter how much paper work you have you will be very lucky if they get back to you in 4 months. It's not so much paperwork from yourself. It is the backlog and not enough personel at the ssd office. Also you have to be out of work for at least a year. good luck to you, I hope you get it and don;t have to wait too long. It took me 3 yrs before I got it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Well, I went to my initial meeting armed w/all of my medical records--I, too, was completely prepared and I had been out of work for over a year. It only took them a few weeks to deny my application. Guess they weren't too backlogged! They claimed, in their letter, that due to my age (45) level of education (college graduate) work history and medical records, my condition wasn't severe enough to warrant disability.

What's pathetic is they didn't even contact the neurologist I saw for the first year into my 'disease.' Needless to say, I got a lawyer and we're appealing.

Lawyers can be of big help in this process...keep that in mind. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

daph10 HB User

I too had a lawyer and went as far as the ALJ she denied me. I am still appealing this case. In the mean time I went an filed on my own again, since u can do this once it is at the appeals office, and I got it. I have already rec'd my checks. So I do not have too much faith in my lawyers.
Good luck to you. I am 49 and applied at 46 I think the older u are the better the chances. How sad. I also had to go to 2 of their dr,s. But I finally got it on my own.

Closed Thread