It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

jsdk329 HB User
Angry Is this true?

I filled out all the paperwork online for disability around the beginning of the month, and I had my psychiatrist's support and everything, because I have bipolar, and I can't work, and today I saw her, and mentioned that I was going back to school online, and she flipped out on me and said that if I'm going to school, I won't be approved because they'll look at that as me being capable to work if I can go to school. Well, I can't GO to school! That's why I'm going online. It's a whole different situation. GOING to school requires me to get out there and be social and handle my emotions all the time. I can't do that. But doing it online, I can do it anytime I feel that I am able to without being pressured. So that's very different than having a job. She pretty much told me that I should give up the school idea in order to get disability. Well sorry, but this is a huge opportunity for me, and I've been planning it for months now, and I'm not giving that up! She had me so mad I was ready to scream at her! She said "it's not logical." I said that if I can work on doing something more with my life in 2 years, then I'm going to do it, not just sit on my butt!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Is this true?

Yes and no. SSD has no prohibition against going to school full or part time, online or in person.

However, if your claim is made on the basis of mental impairment and you go back to school the Disability Reviewer is more likely to think maybe you no longer meet the SSD definition of a mental disability. It's one of many cruddy catch-22s you endure while dealing with the government.

You can take the classes, especially since they're online - but it's best not to announce to anyone that you're taking classes. If they ask don't lie but play it down, let them know how hard it is.

Almost everyone is denied first go-around and have to hire a disability lawyer to get their benefits. If you're denied don't assume it's the courses, or that you don't qualify, it's just what SSD does to everybody.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread