It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
(female)

chicubs HB User
lindasj, please explain.......

I'm sorry lindasj, but can you please explain what you meant when you said "Because in some states your ssdi is too great for medicaid"? So if you make too much money from ssdi you would not receive any insurance??

I am 49 years old and I have always worked since i was 16 up until 2005 when I could no longer because of the RSD. It just became to painful for me.

I could not get ssi because my husband makes too much money. Also because I made too much money with my state disability checks. See I was a state employee for 22 years so I am getting a monthly check from them.

I was approved for ssdi on October 9th 2008. I first applied in 2005, was denied then. I reapplied in 2008, but they decided to use the 2005 as the application date. So that is why I was allowed to get insurance. I have not yet received my paper work so I do not know if it is medicaid or medicare. I actually do not know the difference in the two.

Can you help me understand what you meant and perhaps even tell me the difference between medicare and medicaid? Thanks!
Chris

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

lindasj HB User
Re: lindasj, please explain.......

Ok I don't remember what I wrote exactly and why my answer was moved. Let me try to explain what I meant. Medicaid is determined by each state. I just looked it up if I was to get medicaid here in Ohio, I being a single adult can have no more 576 in monthly income and no more than 1,500 in the bank. There is also a spend down if you get more than that you have to spend down to the 576 out of pocket medical expenses then Medicaid would start covering you. So basically you have no insurance until Medicare kicks in after 2 years of collecting SSDI. But there is always clinics and hospitals you can go to on a sliding scale, usually pay nothing. There are resources for the disabled but you have to seek them out for your city,county or state. That is an example, I'm surprised being a state employee you don't get insurance from them. I was a federal employee and get insurance and money from them. You can read my rant I posted below this to see what I'm talking about.
You have to be dirt poor to get Medicaid. Your husbands income is considered in the equation for Medicaid also. It really sucks.
I can't wait till I'm eligible for Medicare. It's not cheap but my insurance is going to increase by 60% come January. I got to figure something out quick. At least I'm able to work some in a controlled environment, working on that now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

chicubs HB User

Thanks for helping me out with explaining all that. I was able to get insurance but I had to pay for it. And just my health insurance was $2000.00 every three months and my husbands was $550.00 every three months. Honestly we could just not afford that anymore. We did try it for a while but it became financially way too difficult.
I am lucky that social security is using my original application from back in 2005 and not my most recent application of May of 2008. Because of this I am able to now have medicare.
I found out that I have had it since May and they will be reimbursing me all my bills and prescriptions that I paid out of pocket.
I feel so very lucky. Everyday since last Thursday when I found out that I was approved I have thanked God for blessing us with this help.
Chris

Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
(female)

lindasj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post
Thanks for helping me out with explaining all that. I was able to get insurance but I had to pay for it. And just my health insurance was $2000.00 every three months and my husbands was $550.00 every three months. Honestly we could just not afford that anymore. We did try it for a while but it became financially way too difficult.
I am lucky that social security is using my original application from back in 2005 and not my most recent application of May of 2008. Because of this I am able to now have medicare.
I found out that I have had it since May and they will be reimbursing me all my bills and prescriptions that I paid out of pocket.
I feel so very lucky. Everyday since last Thursday when I found out that I was approved I have thanked God for blessing us with this help.
Chris

Last edited by lindasj; 10-13-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Didn't see part about medicare in post

Closed Thread