It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

fred11 HB User
Normal?

I have a brother that was put on, and approved for disability about a year or so ago.. He had serious artritis and had to have Total hip replacement. Not long ago he was "reviewed" and was taken off disability once they saw the surgery went well, and he was walking fine.. Is this normal?? He still has some issues, and artritis.. I cant seem to find ANYONE who was approved for disability and then taken off? Thanks, Fred

Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Normal?

Sorry to hear about his Fred. If you don't mind, I need some more information before I can comment about what may have happened.

- How was he notified that he would be reviewed?
- How was he reviewed? By a Doc?
- What role, if any, did his Doc take in this review? Had his Doc "released" him to work?

Normally, a Doc has to release someone before their disability ends. If SS's Doc is disagreeing with your brother's Doc, then they should have notified you of such.

Thanks,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
(male)

fred11 HB User

"If SS's Doc is disagreeing with your brother's Doc, then they should have notified you of such." Why would they notify me? Anyway, I dont speak to him that often, and dont really know the details. Thats just all he told me. Have you ever heard of someone being taken off of disability? He was getting his check every month just like everyone else.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred11 View Post
"If SS's Doc is disagreeing with your brother's Doc, then they should have notified you of such." Why would they notify me?
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear....I didn't mean they should contact you, but they should have contacted the person of record, or your brother. It was a typo on my part.

Quote:
Anyway, I dont speak to him that often, and dont really know the details.
Without the details, I really can't offer much specific to his case. But, I can provide some general information that may help.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of someone being taken off of disability? He was getting his check every month just like everyone else.
Yes, people come off disability. One of the following can occur:

(1) A Doctor "releases" the person back to work. When on disability, whether it be a private policy or SS, an update is typically required every so often. Initially, the updates are more often, and as time goes on, the require less frequent updates. Docs are usually sent a 1-2 page update and they must certify that the person is still disabled. If a Doc checks the box indicating the person can return to work, disability usually ends almost immediately.

(2) A person makes too much money....Their income is above the minimum SS permits and thus, is considered "substantial." The amount changes each year based on cost of living adjustments, but in 2008, the amount was $940 per month. Even if a Doc has certified that a person is disabled, if they are working and making a "substantial" amount, then disability ends.

(3) A complaint or some type of claim is made against the person as being fraudulent. For example, a neighbor or someone calls SS (or the insurance company) and says you aren't disabled....They will do an investigation, maybe even require you to see an independent Doctor...That type of thing. For example, say a person claims they are disabled for a bad back, yet they are regularly seen chopping wood, laying concrete, or something outrageously physical. It takes more than one time and one witness. If something like this is suspected, SS (or the insurance company) would do a full investigation. These type of cases are rare.

A periodic case review (called a CDR or Continuing Disability Review) are ordinarily conducted every one, three, or seven years and, in the majority of instances, an individual whose claim is being reviewed will receive a written outcome report. In most cases, the determination finds that they are still disabled and the reviews are nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps explain things in general. I would ask your brother what happened as they should have sent him some type of determination report. They just don't stop payments without some type of explanation.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-16-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
(male)

fred11 HB User

Thank you so much..He is now going to a pain clinic, maybe he should have told them that.. Thanks again for your response, it was very helpful. Fred

Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

I'm not exactly sure of the process, but I've got to believe there is some type of "appeals" process. Try to find out more information and see if you can help him as best you can. Maybe his pain mgt Doc can write a letter or something. He was awarded disability for a reason, and something just doesn't add up here.

Take care, and good luck.

Ex

Closed Thread