It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
Function Report request ??

Hi there; I applied 2 weeks ago for disability due to problems with my total knee replacement in dec (flex is 80 and ext 15) and rsd in my knee and foot because of the surgery. When I applied, I had all my medical records, etc plus my pain management doc had filled out an rfc form for me - stating all that I couldnt do - driving,etc due to the pain, knee not bending and pain meds - not being able to work. Today in the mail I received a function report from ss to be filled out in 14 days. Has anyone filled one of these out at this stage? If so - any tips on how to fill out? Thanks - just thought I had filled out all I needed to at the ss appt. Hopefully this is a somewhat good sign ???? Just found out today on top of this I have to have surgery again on my knee in about a month - arrrgg! Thanks for any responses

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Function Report request ??

Hello.....Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like you've got several inter-related issues. Hope you start to feel better soon.

A "function report" is a report from SS that helps them understand how well or badly you function in various activities related to work. It is not mandatory, but in my opinion, it's very important to complete and send in with your application. You may be surprised to learn that the disability caseworker who makes the decision on your claim at the state level never lays eyes on you, so they never actually get to see how your condition limits you. So the best way for them to “see” how limited you are by your condition is for you to show them by your description in the Social Security disability forms.

One would think they would piece together all the information sent in by your Docs and etc., but for some reason, they like these forms filled out. I guess it's all in one place in an easy to read form. I would fill it out and get it right back into them. Keep a copy for yourself, of course.

Best of luck to you on your filing.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

When I received the Function Report in the mail, I took it as a good sign! As in, well, I've been denied once, but they're still interested in me! After all of the initial paperwork, the Function Report, I feel is most important, as it shows how much your disability affects your daily activities. Fill it out ASAP and get it back to them. Better yet, if you have a lawyer, he/she will do it for you electronically, as mine did via a very long phone conversation. We went over every question, line by line, he typed in my answers and sent it off post haste.

Best of luck. I see this as a good sign!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

chicubs HB User

I was also given some good piece of advice when I needed to fill out my Function Report. When you fill out the report let them know exactly how it feels on one of your worst days. Go into detail about how your disability has changed your life and what you are no longer able to do.

Even if you feel that you are getting overly dramatic, that's OK. They cannot read your mind so you need to let them know everything that is wrong. This is your chance to really make sure they "get it" as far as how your health feels physically and emotionally.

Of course never lie or exaggerate what you are not able to do, but I'm sure you understand what I am saying. Well, actually if you can understand me that's great, because sometimes I don't even understand me. Ha! Ha!
Take Care,
Chris

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
Re: Function Report request -another question?

Thanks for the info. I hope filling this out completely will help - but realize alot of people get turned down 1st time. Another question though...... I had scoliosis most of my life - brace for 4 years as teenager and then had surgery to put rods in after my 1st child about 25 years ago. Then had to have them out due to problems. I am fused from neck to mid lower back - docs did not want to fuse the lower back curve portion so I could bend a little. The lower back is now also acting up due to me walking the way I am with cane, etc. I think I should also bring this up on the form - stating I cant lift a certain way, etc. But do I need to get my medical records from way back on the back surgery, etc? I have seen docs along the years for my back when it acted up - can get their records if I have to I think (not sure how long the drs keep the records?). I feel my back along with my knee and leg (besides being in a brain fog from the methadone and oxycodone) is important to go over. Have to laugh though - they only give you a page to go over everything - guess I will print the blank page out and use 2-3 of these to go into detail - think this is acceptable? And also - why in the world do they ask if you are right or left handed on this form? My husband and I were trying to figure this out all nite - had to laugh. Think I will put both! Thanks for the correspondence back - this is quite a journey I cant get off!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

chicubs HB User

I would let them know about your past back problems. When I filled out my application and the function report I believe that I could put down all the doctors that I have seen. I needed to put down their addresses and phone numbers. I signed a form consenting Social Security to get in touch with them and for these doctors to release information about my health.

By doing this I did not need to personally go to each doctor and ask for the documentation, reports, Mri's, etc.... that they had on me. Social Security I guess did the leg work as far as getting this information from the doctors that I wrote down that had treated me.

It's been only a little bit since I filled out all those papers, but I am unable to remember exactly how that happened. But I do know that I did not send in any documentation from my doctors. Only the form that I signed that OKed them to contact them.

I applied in May of this year and I also had to fill out that function form shortly after I turned in my application. I found out I was approved for Social Security Disability on Thursday October 9th. That date is etched in my mind forever.

Good luck. I hope this helped. Continue to ask any questions that you may have. I bet someone on this board will be able to help you. Oh yeah, I do not know why they ask if we are right or left handed. That does seem rather funny doesn't it? Perhaps someone else knows that answer for you.

Take Care,
Chris

Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post

Go into detail about how your disability has changed your life and what you are no longer able to do.

Even if you feel that you are getting overly dramatic, that's OK. They cannot read your mind so you need to let them know everything that is wrong. This is your chance to really make sure they "get it" as far as how your health feels physically and emotionally.
ChiCubs has given you some very good advice. Be 100% honest in your assessment of yourself. Quite often, applicants don't go into enough detail on their form....It's second nature to you (on how you feel), but the case mgr reading your file knows little to nothing. Simply put, if you don't write it down and tell them, they won't know.

Good luck!

Ex

Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Right or left handed would make a difference in some cases, such as when carpel tunnel is involved and probably other things that my foggy brain can't think of right now. (Yes, I do know of someone on disability purely for carpel tunnel, and she brags all the time about how she gets disability for it but can use the computer, bowl, and do anything else she wants! She has been reported, but they didn't do anything. She's still cheating the system! And here we are, struggling with REAL disabilities and we can't get what we DESERVE!)

Arghhh!

Emily

Old 11-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
(male)

bobt1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post
I would let them know about your past back problems. When I filled out my application and the function report I believe that I could put down all the doctors that I have seen. I needed to put down their addresses and phone numbers. I signed a form consenting Social Security to get in touch with them and for these doctors to release information about my health.

By doing this I did not need to personally go to each doctor and ask for the documentation, reports, Mri's, etc.... that they had on me. Social Security I guess did the leg work as far as getting this information from the doctors that I wrote down that had treated me.

It's been only a little bit since I filled out all those papers, but I am unable to remember exactly how that happened. But I do know that I did not send in any documentation from my doctors. Only the form that I signed that OKed them to contact them.

I applied in May of this year and I also had to fill out that function form shortly after I turned in my application. I found out I was approved for Social Security Disability on Thursday October 9th. That date is etched in my mind forever.

Good luck. I hope this helped. Continue to ask any questions that you may have. I bet someone on this board will be able to help you. Oh yeah, I do not know why they ask if we are right or left handed. That does seem rather funny doesn't it? Perhaps someone else knows that answer for you.

Take Care,
Chris
Congrats,

My biggest problem was space and having enough to feel like I did an adequate job of explaining things.

I type much better than I write - been using computers since the 70's.
So, on several of the questions, I re-keyed them in a Word Doc titled "Function Report - Adult (Addendum) and wrote "See Addendum" by the question. I was then able to answer/modify/correct till I had (5) pages where I felt I answered as fully and honestly as I could.
Also since new doctors had been involved since this began, I sent the doctors contact info and extra copies of the Medical Release form along with my current list of medications, why they were prescribed, and by which doctor.

Applied in Sept. Got function report a week ago and mailed it yesterday.
I sure hope that the last of these long reports, took me several sittings and days to be able to get through it.....

Last edited by bobt1956; 11-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Closed Thread