It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
Question benefit increase ??

Well this sounds like good news.....

Social Security recipients to get a raise in 2009

Finally, there's some good news for retirees.
More than 50 million seniors will see their Social Security benefits increase 5.8% next year, the biggest cost-of-living increase in more than 25 years, the Social Security Administration said Thursday.

The cost-of-living increase will boost the average retiree's benefit check by $63 a month. The average retired couple will see an increase of $103 a month,

I am assuming and hoping I am reading this correctly.....this does mean that this applies to us that receive SS because of our disabilities as well ??

Last edited by Queenneeee; 10-18-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: benefit increase ??

It always has in the past. I've been on SSD for five years now and every January 1st, we get some kind of a COLA raise. Usually, it's nothing near the 5.8% we get this year, so this is really good news for all of us!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director View Post
It always has in the past. I've been on SSD for five years now and every January 1st, we get some kind of a COLA raise. Usually, it's nothing near the 5.8% we get this year, so this is really good news for all of us!
this is my first full year i'll be on disability. does the entire 5.8 percent go directly to me, or will it be given back to the state or govt? also, my daighter gets disability thru me as well. she will get an increase as well?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

From what I've read, people on SSDI will receive an increase as well.

For those who are, say, 20 years from retirement age, maybe that will help ease the blow that we have pretty much lost most of their 401k thanks to what has happened of late.

woo hoo. But for those who have been approved for SSD, YAY you're geting a "raise!" Lord knows you've probably fought hard enough to get the benefits in the first place! Congrats!

Last edited by dogmom; 11-02-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Everyone who gets a monthly Social Security check whether regular SS or SSD, will get the 5.8% increase on January 1st. The past few years they've been about 2-3%, so this year's increase is good news!!

Closed Thread