It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
SSD review

I was approved on my first try for SSD in 2004. I received notification in February and had my first check deposited in March of 2004. I was told at that time I would be up for a possible review of my case in 5-7 years. In March of 2009 it will be five years since I first went on SSD and I will be 63 at that time. I was born in 1945, so my full benefits for regular Social Security would not be until age 66.

Has anyone gone through this or is familiar with the SSA as far as what to expect in the way of a review? I have had people tell me they didn't even get reviewed, due to their age. Others have said they were reviewed, but it was a very short and brief list of questions they had to fill out and return.

I would appreciate anyone who has been through this or knows what to expect in the next few months to let me know. My wife just retired and is going on SS at 62. I would hate to all of a sudden not have my benefits or have to take a reduced amount. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: SSD review

Hello.....I had a "review" last year....Brought on my a check and balance of the system. SS runs social security #s to ensure significant income taxes aren't being claimed. My social came up as one where a company had turned in a W2 for income above the SS limits. So, I got a "review." They sent me a simple letter saying that such and such year showed such and such W2 income and they wanted to know why.

When I was employed, I had earned stock options, which were good for many more years. I had decided to cash them in and as a result, I had to pay taxes on the capital gains. SS permits "unearned" income (investments, capital gains, & etc.), but they only permit "earned" income up to a certain point (so much per month). However, when you pay taxes each year, your social just shows your overall income and not "how" you made the money. So, SS was checking to ensure that I wasn't working I guess. They also requested a copy of my tax returns.

Once I showed that my income was due to "unearned" income, or capital gains, and included a Dr's form showing that I was still disabled, everything was fine. They sent me back a very nice note saying everything was ok.

I also receive compensation via a private disability policy, and they require "reviews" every two years. As a general rule, private policies and employer based policies are much more rigorous in nature (than SS) in terms of a review. They send a form (about 2 pages) in which your Dr of record must fill out. Essentially, it's a list of questions about your condition, meds taken regularly, and a few questions about the level, or extent of your disability. For example, they ask point blank whether or not the applicant is disabled and if the Dr. considers improvement likely or not. They also ask how much, if any, improvement has been made since the last review. In my case, I retrogressed. They also asked for a print out of all my prescriptions for the last year from my pharmacy. Because I had already accumulated all this information, I sent it to SS and they accepted it without any further questions.

I'm pretty sure SS triggers their own periodic review (1, 3, 5, or 7 years) for just about everyone. The review is pretty much the same as I outlined above, where they send you a form to be filled out by your physician of record. When you are first awarded disability, a case mgr will enter into the system when they feel your case should be reviewed and the system will automatically do so at that time. I think this input criteria is based on how serious your disability is and how good the medical documentation is. Obviously, all cases are different, and some cases are much more serious than others. For example, for those who are younger, or qualify based on some short term condition, the "review" is sooner rather than later. However, for someone who has a very serious condition and isn't expected to improve or recover, then their case is reviewed after a longer time period. All cases are reviewed at one time or another because people do improve, or recover altogether.

Some people think that once they are awarded SSD, it's for "life" without any further questions....This is not correct. SS isn't about to offer a life long blank check to anyone, regardless of their condition. Even with the most serious cases, miracles do happen and it's in SS's best interest to review all cases at some point.

And of course, SS is always scanning your SS # for wages earned, and any money earned over a certain amount automatically triggers a review. This type of cross checking is very easy for SS to do and is how most are reviewed.

Hope this information is what you're looking for. Take care, and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

My condition hasn't really changed much for the good, but I do have cervical spinal arthritis that I have added to my condition since I was first approved for SSD. I was wondering if the review will come to just me, or will it go to my doctors that I have. My PCP I had when I applied has since retired, so I have a new PCP. I also have a PM, that I see monthly and she writes my scripts for my pain meds. I also have a Neurosurgeon I see for my spinal arthritis.

I guess I should let them know they may be hearing from the SSA on my condition and if I am able to work. At 63 years of age, I don't intend going back into the work force. I guess what I'm hoping at this point, is if there a review of my case, it will be a brief and simple list of a few questions to me. I have heard in the past, they sometimes do this, especially on cases where the person is older and has more severe problems which has caused being on SSD in the first place.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I wouldn't think that at age 63, they would waste their time on your case...No offense. Because at 65, you switch over to normal social security I believe.

Given how much backlog and etc there is at SS, I would imagine that they spend their time wisely. For example, priorities would be: Younger applicants (lots of $ over time), cases likely to improve, bigger payout cases, and etc....All where SS could get a good bang for their buck.

If you are reviewed at some point, they will send the paper work to whomever was the physician of record when you were approved. So, if it's the Doc who has retired, then I'm guessing they'll send it there and your new Doc who took over will be the new physician of record. They may contact you and ask you who you want to be your physician of record.

I really don't think you have much to worry about at your age.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

My full retirement benefits for SS will not kick in until age 66. I just was wondering if anyone in my situation has gone through a review of their SSD after receiving benefits for five to seven years. If so, what was the outcome and how involved was it. Thanks for any info on this.

Closed Thread