It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

lovetta HB User
Disability But Can't Get Medicaid

I have medicade and my spend down is 657.00. Iwas told I would get medicare after I have been on SSD for 2 yrs. I kinda feel like I worked hard for 34 yrs. and paid all those taxes,now I get messed up because I made too much money! The spend down thing is so wrong, they won't let you count things like car insurance which is the law, you have to have it! So I'll have to wait 9 more months to have my other hip replaced!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
(female)

chicubs HB User
Re: Disability But Can't Get Medicaid

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying. Are getting ssi or ssdi? And how long have you been collecting either of these? If you are getting Medicaid why are you not able to get your hip replaced?

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm sure that you must be in quite a bit of pain if you need to have your hip replaced. And me not understanding what you wrote is probably my fault. I'm still new to this whole process. I have only been approved for ssdi since October 9th. I would appreciate it if you decide you would want to answer these questions that I have for you. Perhaps then someone else will be able to help you more if they have more information about your situation.
Thanks!
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

lovetta HB User

Hi chicubs, I've been on dissibilty for ayear and a half. I had to go to a hearing just to get the medicade, then found out I still have to pay 657 up front before I see a doctor. I just don't have the cash. So if I can wait until June of next year I will have my 2 years in and then get medicare, which should cover almost every thing. I did have insurance when I had my hip surgery but it ran out on the 3rd day I was in the hospital. So I'm still paying 4 different doctors from that! I could only be on leave for 2 months on my job and because I wasn't able to return in time I lost my job and insurance. When I went for the pre-surgery test I found out I had lost half of my blood due to a bleeding ulcer. I then had to wait for that to heal before I got my hip fixed, so that took up too much time. I also found out I have a large hidal hernia, along with high blood presure. I haven't checked out some doctors that charge a lower price yet, I know I need to but as you can tell with all that was wrong with me, I really hate going to the doctor! Thanks for listening, I just started useing this computer last mo. or so, my brother gave it to me and just opened up a whole new world for me! lovetta

Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
(female)

chicubs HB User

Dear Lovetta,
I can now see why you cannot wait to be able to receive Medicare!! My heart is just breaking for you. You must be under so much stress because of this and I'm sure that all this stress is not helping you physically. At least for me when I am under too much stress my RSD flares up badly. But with everything we go through during this process, it's no wonder our health tends to get worse.
I'm sorry that you are dealing with so many different health issues all at once. It just doesn't seem fair for you. You worked all those years just to now have these problems. I started to work when I turned 16 and I worked until it was impossible for me to continue working and that was at the age of 46 (I'm 49 now). I have never not worked, not even when I was going to college. Even when I was training my student teachers at our technical college and I would have the summers off, I would work at a information booth in our Mall in town. I continued that job during the school year. So I would work two evenings after my full time job and then the weekends with every other Sunday off. Some of my friends and family will call me crazy! But I enjoyed that extra pay check. My husband and I would use that money for vacations or for any extra things we wanted to have for the house.
Boy that seems so long ago. Now I can't even walk some days. I miss working, do you? In my opinion you come across as a very hard worker. The saying, "Bad things happen to Good People" comes to mind when I think of you.
I hope that your health does improve, I hope that these next 8 months fly by for you and I hope that something good finally happens to you.
Thanks for replying to me. I'm glad that your brother gave you a computer. Oh yeah, I have one more question. I heard this saying before, "spend down". What does that exactly mean? Also how did they come up with the amount of $657.00 that you need to pay before you can see a doctor? Was that something that Medicaid is asking of you or is this what your doctors want before they will see you? Please take care of yourself the best you can. I will be praying for you. Continue to post on this message board when you have question or even if you just feel like venting!
Thanks,
Chris

Closed Thread