It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User
New to SSD-help:)

I have had chronic back/leg pain for 4 years, after I took a 20 foot fall off of a ladder. My trouble is at l4-l5, s1 + during the fall I screwed up both si joints. I have tried *everything*: Various cortisone shots, ESI's, phys therapy was waaaay too painful to even go there. I've been on everything from the Patch,morphine, methadone, neurontin, etc. I currently only take Vicodin 3x's a day and a Xanax at night (it seems to relieve some of the terrible hip/leg pain I get at night).

Dr. has done x ray's, 2 mri's (I have a 3rd on order), a discogram. I saw a surgeon who x'd out an ADR b/c the pain relief b/c of my SI joints would probably only be 60%. I'm only 37 w/ two kiddo's & a DH.

So, it's been over a year since I applied for SSD, waiting on my hearing.
The funny thing is that I was denied the first go 'round & then when I appealed was immediately placed inthe line for a hearing-wasn't i supposed to get another chance b4 a hearing? The hearing process can take a YEAR! I am losing all my savings just paing bills.

TIA, Trina

Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: New to SSD-help:)

Try to hang in there as best you can....If you've got good medical documentation and a good supporting Doc, then all will be ok. It just may take a while, but you do get all your back pay.

Because of your young age, they are waiting to make sure you don't improve....Once approved, it's usually a payout for life, so SS has a strategy of making applicants wait. It also forces many to go to work for financial reasons. If you can hold out, you will win.

I had the same problem when I applied...I was about your age, and it took 1.5 years....My advocate keep telling me not to worry that we would win, and he was right. I won at the hearing stage where a judge seemed peeved that it got that far....Almost like we were all wasting his time because my case was a no brainer. Again, I'm a firm believer it was due to my age.

Take care, and good luck with everything.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Hi Ex & thx for answering. You are so on the money, I am sure it's my age. Also, the part of the denial that irked me the most was SS stated that b/c of my *education* they were sure that I could find *some way* to support myself. So if I were not educated they would have approved me straight away? It is almost educational discrimination, KWIM? I "want" to work, I want to be able to pay all my bills on time & go shopping, I just can't!

It is getting VERY hard to meet our financial needs, we own a painting company (where I fell) and since I can't go work w/ DH it has cut our progress down considerably, even with employees. Literally, I can't stand or sit for very long w/out reprocussions, it really is frustrating!

Did you have representation from an attorney? I am torn, I almost want to go into the hearing and say "Hey, I don't have an atty b/c I am here to tell the truth & don't need legal rep to do so". Everyone I speak to, incl. my Doc. say's to get an atty. Also, in my area there aren't many - no one will return phone calls, not a good first impression.

Again, thanks for all your help, this is a long roller coaster.

Last edited by Vuitton70; 11-01-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I can't spell ;)

Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

btn HB User

I didn't have a lawyer and I won my case. I've tried since 2002. I was denied twice and was also told there was 'something' I could do to earn a living. And I too can't sit or stand for any length of time w/o being in severe pain. Even laying down hurts.

I know what you mean about the money. If not for my g/f's small VA pension, I don't know what I would have done.

Do what you have to to stick it out, if possible. I have a strong feeling it will work out for you :-).

Hugs, Btn

Closed Thread