It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Function report follow up?

I just sent my function report off in the mail. I'm bipolar I and have major anxiety and fear issues. I pretty much spend my entire day isolated in the house. I only leave when I have to, like to pick my son up from school or take him to activities. Recently my therapist recommended that I start doing little things to kinda force myself to overcome the fears. Such as running an errand after I drop my son off at school or to go to the gym and work out. Does anyone know if they do a in person (or secretive) check up on how I spend my days? I don't want to get screwed because I am just trying to help work on my phobias. The reason I can't work is the bipolar cycles and the side effects from my meds.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Function report follow up?

In my opinion, I think you should try to do whatever your doctor suggests to make yourself better. Don't worry about people spying on you--they don't have the time or resources to "check up" on everyone who fills out a Function Report. There's just no possible way they can do it.

Go for a walk, the gym, whatever...don't worry. There are no Social Security secret agents out there, as far as I know! I would say, do what your therapist suggests to help yourself.

p.s. I filled out a Function Report months ago and no one has contacted me about coming in for an in-person exam of any sort. (my disability is not bi-polar, yet it is neurological.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Function report follow up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post

Go for a walk, the gym, whatever...don't worry. There are no Social Security secret agents out there, as far as I know! I would say, do what your therapist suggests to help yourself.
That is correct...No one will be following you around. But, your fears are natural, as I think most going on disability feel the same thing for one reason or another.

I have a friend who is a disability lawyer and he told me that SS does receive "complaints" or whatever you want to call them about people who are on disability and someone decides to call and report them for doing one thing or another. Unless, it's something really out there, SS pretty much blows them off. The only thing a person would have to worry about is if they were reported working or out right scamming the system. Just because one is on disability, doesn't mean they can't lead a semi-normal life...You don't have to be a prisoner in your own home. "Disability" means you can't hold down a meaningful full time job....Being employable means all sorts of things, like not being overly medicated, being able to show up on time, reliable, and so forth and so on. Just because you're out taking a walk, doesn't mean your employable.

Now if I was supposedly disabled due to my back, but I was working for a construction crew, that would be a different story. Or, if I was disabled for whatever, and a picture ran in the local paper showing me winning a big marathon, then I'd worry. Otherwise, all will be fine.

Lastly, this concept brings up another issue worth mentioning....If and when you're awarded disability, I would tell no one, or as few people as I could...You just don't need the hassle of people talking about it, or whatever. Non-disabled people just "don't get it" and this is where and why people get reported for ticky tacky things....Like going for a walk, or shopping, and etc....These people say to themselves...."She sure doesn't look disabled." Thus, you can avoid a lot of stuff by simply keeping your medical issues to yourself. I'd even be careful what family members I tell because all it takes is for one of them to tell one person and then your issue is out. Once your confidentially gets one person away from who you told, there is no incentive to keep your life private....What do they care?

The phrase I try to remind myself of is..... "loose lips sink ships." You can come with all sorts of reasons why you aren't working, or how you're earning a living doing something else...Consulting, working from home, retired, early retirement, part time job, and so on. I have a friend who is on disability and most people think she still works there....Why would people ask unless you told them. Because she's truly sick and hurting, she's not out much, so people just don't know.

Take care,

Ex

Closed Thread