It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
Unhappy Waiting on a decision on reconsideration

Hello, as some of you know i applied for SSDI back in March of this year.I was denied in August so i got a lawyer and we are in the concideration phase of it.
I called my local SSDI office yesterday and they said that the examiner is going over all my doctor files and statements.
In the mean time i have been living with my father for a little over a year now and i don't hardly have any money yo help him any more.I have sold everything i own and now i hardly have anything left except for my TV, clothes,computer. Thats all i have left. Everything i owned is gone also i have my truck.
He is really getting upset and gets so mad at me and keeps throwing things up in my face about finding a job, i told him if i went to work that it will mess up my disability and i am not able to work till i have my surgery to have a Arachnoid Cyst removed from my spine which is very painfull.I have nerve damage also in my spine.
He has threated me to put me out if i can't help him any with money.I had to beg him to let me stay because i have nowhere else to go.
Please, can anyone give me some advise here as i am about to loose it.
I cry all the time because he will soon get me out of here.
Thanks so much.. Karen

Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Re: Waiting on a decision on reconcideration

Karen talk to your attorney and see if there is anything he can do to help you.
Best of luck to you
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

btn HB User

Hello Karen,
I really feel for you. Do you live in the city or near one? Perhaps you could get housing from HUD based on income. Where I live, some people pay on $25/mo and that includes heat/a.c/electricity/garb. collection and water.
Call around and find some kind of agency to help you with info and/or resources. There may even be a church that would pay your rent.
I truly hope you are soon out of your situation. But don't give up! I have been disabled since 12/99 and just recently was approved for Disability. I know that having a positive outlook is hard right now, but if possible, tell yourself that the longer it takes, the more back pay you will get.
Also, remember that sometimes when people are forced to live together, it brings out the worse in them. Although it would be great if your father could be more understanding.
Wishing you a much brighter future (and a quick approval!)
Btn

Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

Thanks so much for your advise. Its just a REALLY difficult time here. I sure do wish my father would understand, he acts like he just does not care. When i tell him i hurt so bad in my back he says well i hurt too. I love my father but he is wrong about all of this.Makes me very sad and depressed.
Karen

Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
(male)

Mahkwa HB User

Littlelady-

You should go to the department of social services and apply or all help possible. Food stamps, state assistance for paying bills, or even housing. They can help you. I am heading to mine Monday morning; I can't hold out anymore and money is super tight with the light at the end of the tunnel dim and distant.

Last edited by Mod08; 11-01-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Don't quote the text, simply address the response to the individual. This saves server space. Thank you.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Hi Karen,

I have no real advice - all I can offer are words of encouragement. (I'm living on savings while waiting for a date with the ALJ. Don't know what I will do when it runs out.)

Others have given good advice. There are many agencies to help - sometimes it is just a matter of finding people who can help you. And yes, your attorney might have a list of agencies who can help. I hope you can work things out with your father, until you can make other arrangements. Hang in there!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
(female)

daph10 HB User

I am so sorry u are going thru all of this. I was there, I have depleted all my life long 401k savings and had to turn to Medicaid and at one time food stamps. Life is not fair most of the time. Pray and go to social services in your area. They will help you. I struggled for over 3 yrs and finally was approved. I thank God everyday. Everyone on this site offers sound advice and lends an ear, thank goodness for that. I will keep u in my prayers. Diane

Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User
Unhappy Re: Waiting on a decision on reconcideration

Diane, May i ask your age ? I am 45 and they said i could not get Medicaid because of my age.They say i also can't get it because my children are 23 and 25.
I do get foodstamps.
Since i have been on here earlier my father has not left me a note this morning saying that while he is gone today i need to find somewhere else to stay for a while, if i am not gone when he gets home then i will have to leave for good !!
I am so upset amd just don't know where i am going to go.I have 2 sons, one is in the army and is going to South Korea tomorrow and my other son is married with a wife and no room for me to stay.
I just don't know what to do.
Karen

Last edited by littlelady2852; 11-02-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
(female)

daph10 HB User

I am 49 yrs old. I applied at age 46. I got medicaid before I got ssdi. What happens is you get medicaid and if u did not get granted ssdi they want info from your dr u cant work. If u don;t get that from dr. they tell u u have to go for interviews and they help u get a job and u can collect Medicaid. I got a part time job on my own since my dr. said I could not work 40 hrs a week. I did not have insurance at the part time job so Medicaid provided that. The system is so wishy washy. If u even work 1 or 2 days a week Medicaid will help you. Then I got granted ssdi and still have medicaid. Which I am waiting for them to stop since making money now with both job and ssdi. I hope this helps I no it is so confusing. If I can help in any way let me know. Diane

Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

Well I have applied for SSDI and SSI . My doctor did fill out the questionair that my attorney sent to me in the mail and i faxed it to my attorney.
My doctor i cannot perform activities from fine manipulation to gross manipulation.
He said my diagnoses that underline the above impairments is that i have a arachnoid cyst on my spine that gives impairment and pain.
I can't stand or walk in combination for more than a few minutes during the work day.
In other words i am NOT able to work at all.
I will call about the Medicaid tomorrow, or i will call my attorney.
Karen

Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
(male)

Positiveman HB User
Smile Re: Waiting on a decision on reconcideration

Karen,
I too have a spinal Arachnoid Cyst. It extends from T2-T12 so I know what you are going through. I have significant compression at the upper end of the cyst. I try to keep positive about it as I search for treatment. Some days are better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady2852 View Post
Well I have applied for SSDI and SSI . My doctor did fill out the questionair that my attorney sent to me in the mail and i faxed it to my attorney.
My doctor i cannot perform activities from fine manipulation to gross manipulation.
He said my diagnoses that underline the above impairments is that i have a arachnoid cyst on my spine that gives impairment and pain.
I can't stand or walk in combination for more than a few minutes during the work day.
In other words i am NOT able to work at all.
I will call about the Medicaid tomorrow, or i will call my attorney.
Karen

Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I would go to social services and tell them you are homeless and in dire need of help.

I think you are put at beginning of line if you are homeless. I would try and talk to your dad about this and tell him you need a bit more time and for him to write a letter to whom it may concern, stating that you have to move out of his home within 30 days.

What your dad is doing is likely illegal as you have been living with him so he just cant tell you to leave in a few hours time.

try to be reasonable with him and be calm--explain this. Have your other son/his wife help you with paper work from social services. I know that sometimes you can get really lucky and get someone in there who will be very helpful and caring--that is what you need right now, caring spirit and someone who will get this done for you.

Have you looked on the states website for issues such as what you are going through? I would be doing all kinds of research--get the appointment made or show up 1st thing Monday morning and get the ball rolling.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

do a google search for south caroline section 8 housing rental

There is info on site for offices in area you live in--maybe even the application can be printed--not sure though, so you can get started.

Did you say you had a letter from dr stating your disability and an other documents stating you are waiting for SS to approve you case?

get as much info together as possible.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
(female)

littlelady2852 HB User

Hello everyone, A lot has changed since the last time i have been on here.I am living with a friend now that is very supportive of what i am going through.
I have been denied my SSDI for the 2nd time, now i am waiting for a court date.I already have a very good lawyer.I got him after i was denied the first time.So i know this is a very long process.
I live in South Carolina and i was wondering if anyone knows what the time frame is for getting a trail date here in S.C. ?
I am still in alot of pain, the doctors here say there is nothing they can do for the pain except to have the cyst took out. Which i do not have health insurance. That's why i need medicare or medicaid. I tried to get medicaid but they say i am not fully disabled. I have not worked since 2005.
Positiveman, can you tell me what you know about this kind of cyst ? How does someone get this terrible thing ? I don't know much about mine since i have not had a MRI on mine since 2005.Thanks so much !!
Karen

Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #15
(male)

Positiveman HB User

Littlelady (Karen),

Being a research chemist has helped me to be disciplined in learning more about this condition and the risks and benefits of various medical treatments. I have been researching this condition from early July last year until now. I have also consulted with 7 Neurosurgeons from NYCity to Pittsburgh to Baltimore and have a range of expert opinions. In my case, it is intradural (inside the dura where cord is located) and Extramedullary (outside of the cord itself). These can be located intradural or extradural, intramedullary and extramedullary. So, this is what I can tell you about an Arachnoid Cyst of the spine.

The belief is that the Archnoid cell layers form a defect allowing fluid to get in and separate this layer of cells from the dura (cysts can be either primary if born with it or secondary due to some sort of trauma). In my case, the belief is that I have had it likely since birth and it has grown over time compressing my spinal cord. A secondary cyst could form after puncture of the spine after epidural injection for childbirth. Symptoms tend to make the cysts known by most people in their 40s (like you and me). More men have Arachnoid cysts than woman. Arachnoid cysts of the spine account for <1% of all spinal cord lesions. Arachnoid cysts of the brain are more common than the Arachnoid cysts of the spine.

I had a wide range of symptoms that had been getting progressively worse over the last 10 years. Headaches, neck pain, back pain, "head pressure", and light-headedness were the major symptoms. Last year I had severe neck pain that only responded to Flexeril (muscle relaxer). The discovery of the cyst was incidental during a neck MRI (Radiologist almost missed it and issued an addendum to his report to my primary doctor). My cyst was found to extend from T2-T12. My spinal cord is compressed in the T2-T5 region to a point of being essentially flat (should be round). Since the cyst grew very slowly, my body compensated...a real miracle. I was told by one doctor if a cord was compressed this much quickly the person would be paralyzed. A cyst that has been around a long time causes "dishing" of the spine due to pressure. Arachnoid cysts are associated with curvature of the spine due to the high pressure of Cerebrial Spinal Fluid (CSF) fluid within the cyst.

If pain is being caused by the cyst that is a warning sign that something needs to be done. Arachnoid cysts can either be communicating or non-communicating. Mine is communicating, which means CSF is getting into the cyst and my cyst is also multi-chambered. Being large and multi-chambered makes treatment a challenge. If left untreated these cysts can lead to paralysis so this is nothing to fool around with.

I have been seeking a minimally-invasive approach to treatment. Some doctors wanted to open up my entire length of the back of my spine by Laminectomy (remove back portion of spine permanently) which causes the muscle to atrify and could also lead to Kyphosis (loss of spine stability leading to curvature). Other mentioned Laminoplasty (remove back of spine like Laminectomy, but put the bone back in), but this has similar risks to Laminectomy. However, the risks and benefits need to be weighed. The risks above would be better than being paralyzed. I did find two doctors capable of using an Endoport appriach to treatment (a port through the muscle done in a way that leads to faster recovery without risk of stability loss). However, minimally invasive has risks of bleeding so there is the chance of having to convert to a Laminectomy if bleeding in the cord area occurs.

What did the Radiologist report say about your cyst? The important thing is to be thankful that you know the source of your pain and that it is treatable. It could have been worse. In the years before MRI and CAT scans people would become paralyzed or partially-paralyzed for unknown reasons. Take care and God bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady2852 View Post
Hello everyone, A lot has changed since the last time i have been on here.I am living with a friend now that is very supportive of what i am going through.
I have been denied my SSDI for the 2nd time, now i am waiting for a court date.I already have a very good lawyer.I got him after i was denied the first time.So i know this is a very long process.
I live in South Carolina and i was wondering if anyone knows what the time frame is for getting a trail date here in S.C. ?
I am still in alot of pain, the doctors here say there is nothing they can do for the pain except to have the cyst took out. Which i do not have health insurance. That's why i need medicare or medicaid. I tried to get medicaid but they say i am not fully disabled. I have not worked since 2005.
Positiveman, can you tell me what you know about this kind of cyst ? How does someone get this terrible thing ? I don't know much about mine since i have not had a MRI on mine since 2005.Thanks so much !!
Karen

Closed Thread