It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Applying for SSD and unemployment

I have a tricky one for you all....
what if a person was getting unemployment BEFORE they signed up for disability, their unemployment benefits run out so won't be getting the checks anymore and then they finally get approved for disability, ( Plus get a letter from disability with a work coupon in it saying you can work and that they have the type of job that would suit my medical problem) which means in my book that they think I can work and that I'm not permantly disabled.
THEN a letter comes in the mail from the dept. of Labor stating the person is eligible for a 13 week extension on their benefits, which is their's to begin with all along. they just didn't finish getting all of the total money because they cut it off.
so what was legally theirs to begin with from unemployment, but then got on disability before the 13 week extension was given, don't you think it's ok for that person to accept the late money even though their on disability?
I know they say you MUST be able to work to get unemployment, but some people who are on disability can still work.
So that person is still able to work, but only in certain jobs, so is considered able to work according to unemployment. It doesn't state anywhere that IF THE PERSON IS COLLECTING DISABILITY, that they don't qualify for unemployment.
Their wording is very tricky and one must really study their qualifications. Dont' you agree?

So.... does anyone just understand what I said? or did I complicate matters worst?
I have to admit this is a very tricky one.
so what would be your answer to this particular situation?

I know I must have made it wor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Re: Applying for SSD and unemployment

When I posted a similar question the best advise I got was to ask my attorney. I never did and never filed the claim for the 13 week extension. I am in the hearing stage of my SSD.
Cindy

Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Lintek, I know that they ask you have you currently or in the future plan to apply for disability. I know some people who are are disability are still able to work some even though not a 40 hr. week. If it were me I won't be signing up to receive the extended unemployment benefits due to the fact that it could show up that I was collecting both SSDI and unemployment. Which means in the long run, I would have to pay back the benefits. Because remember you're suppose to report any earnings that you receive to unemployment.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to agree with raye here. unemployment is not actually something you really 'earn' it is there for you,paid by a past employer until you can work again. the big thing here,and this is written on alot of the paperwork i know i recieved from SSD,was that they DO cross check your social security number with other govt agencies(like unemployment)for certain reasons. this could,if found out,ruin your chances for any SSD,at least right now. you are right about being able to actually work while on unemployment(and they are also assuming you are a healthy able person as well),which could get a bit ugly with the SSD people if this were indeed found out. personally,given what i had to just go thru to even get awarded benefits and how long(some can take years) it can actually take to even get awarded benefits,i would NOT risk anything about your future with sdd this way,but thats just me.

obtaining anything from the govt under any sort of false pretences can be illegal in certain ways. that you also have to keep in mind too ya know(it would be up to the govts interpretation there,not good)? would you be able to pay that money from unemployment or ssd if you were awarded back,if this should be found out? you have to kind of look at the reality of this and what 'could' happen to you and your chances to even get SSD if you should decide to accept that extension. i just see this as a really big potential disaster for you if you decided to get both ya know? i really do think you will have to choose one or the other in this tricky situation. you just don't want to even make things harder for yourself if you really do need SSD. its hard enough without the possible problems this could create for you ya know?

i think if you really want to obtain the unemployment,you need to just let that extension run out and then apply for ssd. but i would NOT do both at the same time,that could just create so many uneeded and preventable issues down the road,ya know?and as i mentioned above,they DO cross check SS numbers to see what other govt types of monies you may be getting. i don;t know if they randomly do this or just automatically do it with every applicant,but that alone would be enough to make me just not go there. the things that you just do now or don't do can affect your future,so i would be very very careful with certain choices. like you said,this IS a very tricky situation. i do wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. please keep us posted. Marcia

Closed Thread