It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
SSDI and property taxes - Alabama

In my state, Alabama, if someone is on SSDI and owns a house where they get a homestead exemption, the homeowner qualifies to have their property taxes reduced to zero. Yes, zero. Between October 1 and December 31, take the SSDI Award Letter and a letter from your doctor stating that you are 100% disabled to the tax assessors office, and they will give you a form to complete.

Every state has different laws, I believe Florida only allows property tax deductions to those confined to a wheelchair, and other states probably have their own unique rules and application dates. It is definitely worth checking out. Wish I had known this when I first received my award letter, because I wouldn't have had to pay any 2007 property tax. (I missed the filing date deadline.) But, I'm happy to know the exemption will apply to my 2008 taxes due next year, and to all future years.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

lindasj HB User
Re: SSDI and property taxes - Alabama

I don't know if it is county or state, but here in Hamilton county OH they cut them in half.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Wow, I never knew this. Does it make a difference if you have a spouse who is not disabled and has a job?

Emily

Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

BlueAtlas, I really don't know. You'll have to check your state's laws, or call the county revenue department. I believe in Alabama only the person listed on the property tax notice is eligible for the exemption, and that person must be disabled. I don't know how it would be handled if there were two people listed, one disabled, one not. It's worth checking out.

Closed Thread